Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Rose Hynes is worse than useless, she does absolutely nothing until there's a photo opportunity and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Well she is pretty good at making money from Directorships

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Rose Hynes is worse than useless, she does absolutely nothing until there's a photo opportunity and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

thats a know fact sure. Then it is in & out. & never to be seen again till the next photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

thats a know fact sure. Then it is in & out. & never to be seen again till the next photo op.

It boils my blood seeing the likes of her in photos with presidents etc, getting credited for hard work. Absolutely pathetic carry on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Stanford wrote: »
    No, I have no political connections of any kind incl. Michael McNamara but the comments seem to be along the lines suggested above, serious micromanagement, no airport marketing experience and a Board stuffed with FG pals, remember she has gone through two CEOs in the space of 3 years
    Well she is pretty good at making money from Directorships

Serious Micromanagement

I don't see any problems with the use of cost / profit centers to measure performance in a company. But since I don't work in the airport, I cannot give a personal opinion of her working relationship with the staff of the Shannon Group. Bear in mind the task she had inherited when she became the chairwoman of the group was one where the country was saddled with high debt, high levels of vacant obsolete industrial buildings in the SFZ, dire need of upgrading the airport's infrastructure and their heritage centers.

No airport marketing experience

That did not stop the airports marketing department from winning international awards year after year. Her previous business aviation experience with companies like GPA, Aer Lingus, Aercap, Aviateur Capital makes her qualified for the job of chairwoman.

CEOs

Everybody was surprised that they did not offer Neil Pakey an extended contract. We never got to know the real reasons behind this. Matthew Thomas left the group in a profitable situation in 2019. Mary Considine is the new CEO and nobody can envy her position as every sector of the group is in a fight for survival due to Covid-19. She is a member of the Aviation Recovery Task Force set up by government.

Directorships.

As mentioned above she is also very involved in the University of Limerick. Various degree courses in aviation have been created to meet the needs of the IASC at Shannon. Directorships helps networking which in turn can beneficial for the Shannon Group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Brennans Row you really believe all that bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I know people who work in top level in aircraft industry and they all have good opinions of Rose Hynes. I think there may be some misunderstandings around what a chairperson of a company actually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Deagol wrote: »
    I know people who work in top level in aircraft industry and they all have good opinions of Rose Hynes. I think there may be some misunderstandings around what a chairperson of a company actually does.
    Stop that immediately.
    Making sense is not accepted.

Deagol wrote: »

:D:D:D That's like saying I know People in politics & they all have Good opinions of Leo. Everyone's opinion is going to be different especially the further up the ladder u go.

• Advertisement

I don't know what you mean by that, so could you explain to me in more detail by what was bull**** to you?

Maybe Deputy Michael McNamara could wave his magic wand and solve this minor predicament for Shannon too. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

What experience Does the Shannon Group marketing section have in tourism and aviation ?

Did they market their heritage site's and airport much during the lockdown ?

Comparing them to other similar site's around Ireland their marketing is quite bleak anyhow.
    Do they love the region or are they just like your average civil service workers ticking boxes and collecting a wage.

The Shannon region has huge potential, but there seems to be a lack of lustre to get it going.

I remember Shannon Development during the 80's and 90's and they really worked hard to get the area going and working.

Is it down to poor management and leadership, or is it just lack of interest or creativity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The problem with this is that, as usual, Ryanair aren't likely to be messing around here. If the numbers no longer work for them they'll up sticks and go and that will be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The problem with this is that, as usual, Ryanair aren't likely to be messing around here. If the numbers no longer work for them they'll up sticks and go and that will be that.

So basically you're saying nothing in that post.

Ryanair are banging the PR drum, nothing more or less than that. At this stage Cosmo, you think you'd have copped onto that fact, but no, it's another stick to beat the dog. If there's a negative insinuation to be made, don't worry, you won't be far!

It's concerning, however these layoffs are no more likely than I thought they were before the article was published. As you say, if the numbers no longer work. That's common sense really and what businesses make decisions on.

No, I'm saying what I'm saying. A lot of companies use this kind of PR just as scare tactics to gain concessions, aid packages, etc. but have no real intention of relocating elsewhere.

Ryanair have shown time and again that they'll pull out and happily leave a base airport and their staff there behind if they don't get what they want. They have no morals, no sense of conscience whatsoever as employers, even compared to other aviation companies.

No, I'm saying what I'm saying. A lot of companies use this kind of PR just as scare tactics to gain concessions, aid packages, etc. but have no real intention of relocating elsewhere.

Ryanair have shown time and again that they'll pull out and happily leave a base airport and their staff there behind if they don't get what they want. They have no morals, no sense of conscience whatsoever as employers, even compared to other aviation companies.

So, in other words, Shannon would be better off without them? They've done it before so I'm not sure why so many people seem to be happy to give them more rope to hang the airport with.

I could see the logic in wanting Ryanair there, but maybe not as a base any more.

Gives them less pull to go after the airport with.

That said, losing the base would presumably result in a lot of jobs being lost so I'd imagine there will be pressure to give them whatever they're after in order to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Led to believe that Ryanairs gripe with governments not compensating them for their work in more challenged economic environments is a central pillar for short term income. They can see an aviation committee and a mid west committee forming and will seek some compensation to play ball.

If they don't get it I imagine they have cards they can play, starting with the base

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Just wondering if anything ever came of those talks between the unions and Aer Lingus re Shannon Airport operations? I’ve a flight with Aer Lingus to Faro booked for July 22. Despite not hearing anything from Aer Lingus themselves, I take it this won’t be happening. Would that be right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

luckyboy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anything ever came of those talks between the unions and Aer Lingus re Shannon Airport operations? I’ve a flight with Aer Lingus to Faro booked for July 22. Despite not hearing anything from Aer Lingus themselves, I take it this won’t be happening. Would that be right?

I'm in a similar situation for JFK on the 25th (needless to say I wont be travelling) but when I spoke to them two weeks ago they couldn't give me a straight answer.

luckyboy wrote: »

Ya you could be right there

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation for JFK on the 25th (needless to say I wont be travelling) but when I spoke to them two weeks ago they couldn't give me a straight answer.

derf wont be going to JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyone know when LHR resumes?

Shn99 wrote: »
    Anyone know when LHR resumes?

It's bookable some time in August but I wouldn't be counting on it actually happening. I'd say EI will be taking a good look at RA STN's numbers... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Was there much activity at the airport today?

I can see one flight left for Lanzarote after 1pm. Curious what the load factor was.

Due to fly with RA in August to Spain, it's 6 weeks away yet but I would be fearful of flights being pulled given the now daily requests asking people not to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

About 40 on the Vienna flight.

If they cancel the flights they have to give refunds so I don't think they ll necessarily want to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Considering the CMO has a government meeting today then we shall know more as the day progresses. The UK want to release their green list of countries today so Ireland won't want to be left out in the cold either. I would see that we will get a list of green countries to travel to/from without isolation upon return.

If you hear the media this morning nearly 50% of those who were self isolating could not be contacted by telephone for a welfare check recently so is it really working?

I know somebody who is flying out today and he only hopes that the isolation is lifted before his return in 2 weeks time. I wouldn't personally have taken the self isolation risk although I would be happy to travel myself if the restriction wasn't there.

If he didn't fly today he would lose his flights and hotel money. Some might say "tough luck" but it comes down to a personal choice that he must make because if the country he is going to is open, the flight is operating then the only thing stopping him really is the government advice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The problem is that Ireland will be on the UK green list and the UK will be on Ireland's green list but because the UK won't be on the EU's green list it'll mean we won't be on the EU list either so it's going to be a bit of a nightmare.

• Advertisement

Lads did anyone else hear this Today That Andrew Murphy has resigned & jumped ship to Ryanair. Or is it in Public Domain yet ??

Advertisement