Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Ryanair aren't flying back from Manchester in the evening unless I missed something. Not possible to do a day return basically

As I understand it, there's a flight TO Manchester very early morning or late evening. Haven't had time to spend fiddling with the Ryanair page yet, but think the schedule is meant to suit business folk. I would love for someone to correct me on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

iora_rua wrote: »
    As I understand it, there's a flight TO Manchester very early morning or late evening. Haven't had time to spend fiddling with the Ryanair page yet, but think the schedule is meant to suit business folk. I would love for someone to correct me on this!

How is it meant to suit business folk if there is only 1 flight a day?

(All flights departing Shannon and returning to Shannon)

Monday depart : 07:15-08:25
    Monday return : 08:50-10:00

Tuesday = Same as monday

Wednesday depart :10:55-12:05
    Wednesday return :12:30-13:40

Thursday = Same as Monday and Tuesday

Friday= Same as Monday,Tuesday and Thursday

Saturday depart :08:30-09:40
    Saturday arrive :06:55-08:05

Sunday depart :22:00-23:10
    Sunday arrive :20:25-21:35

All early morning/afternoon flights except Sunday.

Not much of a substitute to Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They've already changed those times then since they were first announced when it was 0700 leaving SNN Mon-Fri and 2200 on the weekend.

This will sadly just drive people to having to use Dublin etc. A huge pity. There were fair volumes transferring off the JFK/BOS flights too- I was over on a couple of the early morning MAN flights over the summer and there were at least 15-20 connecting each time

They've already changed those times then since they were first announced when it was 0700 leaving SNN Mon-Fri and 2200 on the weekend.

This will sadly just drive people to having to use Dublin etc. A huge pity. There were fair volumes transferring off the JFK/BOS flights too- I was over on a couple of the early morning MAN flights over the summer and there were at least 15-20 connecting each time

Not all Shannon's fault though. Blaim Aer Lingus for pulling out at de first sign of trouble. What they should of done was keep the service until Christmas and see what effect fr have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

That’s really a pity as the Shannon timetable was tailored to connect these flights.

Although my examples below showed Shannon to be cheaper than Dublin, is it really worthwhile (fares + time) for Manchester passengers to fly with Aer Lingus to New York or Boston via DUB/SNN?

• Advertisement

Ryanair orders 100 737-Max planes. Ryanairs deliveries for the new 737-800 also begin tomorrow.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/09/08/boeing-gets-multi-billion-dollar-order-for-high-density-737/15281825/

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I fear that driving SNN-passengers to use Dublin etc will be the net result of this situation. Why would one stay on an extra night (and the additional hotel and subsistence costs) when one could hop on the plane to Dublin etc? As well as the business traveller, this will also apply to the ordinary traveller. MAN is a fine airport with excellent international connections. MAN also has a train station which can connect one to just about anywhere in Britain.

I used the EIR SNN-MAN a few times and my observations were similar to the above i.e. a significant number of connecting passengers on board. These will now be lost also.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

That’s really a pity as the Shannon timetable was tailored to connect these flights.

Although my examples below showed Shannon to be cheaper than Dublin, is it really worthwhile (fares + time) for Manchester passengers to fly with Aer Lingus to New York or Boston via DUB/SNN?

I believe that one of the main attractions for t/a passengers connecting via SNN was the avoidance of the t/a Air Passenger Duty (APD) which according to this site:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty
    could add significantly to the price of a t/a flight, especially if travelling in anything other than the lowest class available.

lockman wrote: »
    I believe that one of the main attractions for t/a passengers connecting via SNN was the avoidance of the Air Passenger Duty (APD) which according to this site:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty
    could add significantly to the price of a t/a flight, especially if travelling in anything other than the lowest class available.
    Them charges confuse me. Does that mean a €9 flight from the UK is running at losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Them charges confuse me. Does that mean a €9 flight from the UK is running at losses?

Yes, £16 pounds in air tax charged for ever passenger on every flight.

Connecting passengers to the US get reduced APD flying to the US via Ireland or Europe than direct.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yes, £16 pounds in air tax charged for ever passenger on every flight.

So the €30 return fare from Shannon-Manchester is actually made up of taxes?
    £16=€20. Manchester passenger fees= £5.28 = €6.60. I assume shannon airport passenger charges, landing fees and more easily make up the other €3.40.

Where do they make their profit?

So the €30 return fare from Shannon-Manchester is actually made up of taxes?
    £16=€20. Manchester passenger fees= £5.28 = €6.60. I assume shannon airport passenger charges, landing fees and more easily make up the other €3.40.

Where do they make their profit?

£16 each way in UK APD so that's £32 per round trip. I don't really know how they make money I guess late booking pay more.

Birmingham Airport records busiest month in its history (Airport World)

Scheduled services that saw particular growth included . . . . Shannon (49.4%) . . . .

If I did my sums right then this should mean 4691 passengers travelled on that route in August.

I wonder what % travelled on to the USA?

Aer Lingus Regional axes Shannon-Manchester service (Irish Examiner)

Stobart Air has said its decision is not connected with the Ryanair move but according to sources, the airline is “disappointed” that Shannon allowed another airline on the same route.

But can an Irish airport prevent two Irish airlines competing on the same route? :(

Aer Lingus Regional announces further growth in passenger numbers (Breaking News)

Shannon Airport passenger figures were up 49%.

Aer Lingus Regional also reported a 32% growth in UK passengers transferring to transatlantic flights at Dublin and Shannon airports in the year to date.

“We are very encouraged by the continuing growth in passengers from the UK transferring to Aer Lingus’s transatlantic services out of Dublin and Shannon. It’s becoming very clear that Dublin Airport’s US customs and preclearance service is resonating with our UK-based passengers.”

Shannon's loss of transferring passengers will be Dublin's gain. :(

Whether SNN can say "no" to a new route or not I don't know as I have no idea how those kind of negotiations etc work. If they did manage to put a stop to a new route you could be sure Ryanair would not expand any further from there at all for some time

Whether SNN can say "no" to a new route or not I don't know as I have no idea how those kind of negotiations etc work. If they did manage to put a stop to a new route you could be sure Ryanair would not expand any further from there at all for some time

On full charges they can't really refuse but they can on discounted charges and I don't believe for a second that FR are paying full charges for MAN service.

engine-fail-3.gif?w=1496&h=912

Jet suffers engine failure over Atlantic (Clare Herald)

A business jet made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport yesterday after the crew was forced to shut down one of it’s engines over the Atlantic.

The Canadair Challenger 604 jet, with a total of eight people on board, was west of Ireland when the crew declared an emergency.

The jet, owned by Canadian based luxurious jet charter company VIH Execujet Ltd, was en route from to Luton Airport near London to Victoria, British Colombia at the time.

Virgin Atlantic (VIR18 A343) flight from New York to London landed at Shannon yesterday evening.

I wonder what was the nature of its diversion?

Image Adrian Kissane

15040655308_51fb2caff7_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lightpipe

Ryanair aren't flying back from Manchester in the evening unless I missed something. Not possible to do a day return basically

Very disappointing, I am a regular flier on this route & love the early morning snn/man & the late evening man/snn, gives you full days over there at both ends of your trip. The only equivalent flight times/routes that would suit me now will be dub/lba. not as convenient & shannon's loss

• Advertisement

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for August are out, however Stansted is not yet available.

Therefore no totals for the UK.

322405.png

Ryanair Summer 2015 starting to go on sale. Seems to be largely the same as this years offering. Lanzarote to operate 2x weekly on Sunday and Weds. Many flights being operated in by aircraft from other bases and seems to be many gaps in the schedule yet so looks as though something new will be announced.

I won't be going to lanzarote this year either from Shannon. I'm not willing to leave for home at 7 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

What is it with Shannon and parking and collecting ? One of the first things implemented there was no longer dropping off and collecting right outside the terminal

Now one has to go into the carpark and use the free exit, Collecting my daughter last week and we had to queue for ten minutes or so, so much so that we began to worry would be inside the allowed free time. And this when there was only one flight arrived.

If a problem isn't broke why fix it ?

Ryanair Summer 2015 starting to go on sale. Seems to be largely the same as this years offering. Lanzarote to operate 2x weekly on Sunday and Weds. Many flights being operated in by aircraft from other bases and seems to be many gaps in the schedule yet so looks as though something new will be announced.

All routes that were available in 2014 are for sale in the 2015 season (Except Liverpool). Where are you finding the gaps

All routes that were available in 2014 are for sale in the 2015 season (Except Liverpool). Where are you finding the gaps

The gaps are the aircraft arriving back to SNN from somewhere in the morning and not having another duty until that evening so there is space for another flight. This seems to happen on 3 or 4 days.

The gaps are the aircraft arriving back to SNN from somewhere in the morning and not having another duty until that evening so there is space for another flight. This seems to happen on 3 or 4 days.

Hopefully new routes;)

Gran canaria please!

marienbad wrote: »
    What is it with Shannon and parking and collecting ? One of the first things implemented there was no longer dropping off and collecting right outside the terminal

Now one has to go into the carpark and use the free exit, Collecting my daughter last week and we had to queue for ten minutes or so, so much so that we began to worry would be inside the allowed free time. And this when there was only one flight arrived.

If a problem isn't broke why fix it ?
    I would have thought that the 15 minutes free parking allowance would give one sufficient time.

Are the queues exiting that long or are there too few exits in place?

Why don't you give them some feedback on it.
    The initiative is part of a wider investment in parking at Shannon Airport, which has also completed significant works on new set-down and pick up facilities adjacent to the main terminal building in a further investment in customer Service.

The airport has invested close to €300,000 on a covered walk-way, additional parking spaces for disabled drivers, resurfacing, line-marking and a new exit for the new set-down area and short term car park.

The new system has been put in place to address security, safety and operational considerations at the front of the terminal building.

The new facilities means that set-down and pick up directly outside the terminal building is now only for designated operators, including public bus services.

However to facilitate drivers they will be allowed 15 minutes free parking in the set-down area to drop off passengers and luggage. See link.

Short Term Parking Charges (Up to 15 mins - No Charge)

The short term car park must be used by those meeting and seeing off passengers. See link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I would have thought that the 15 minutes free parking allowance would give one sufficient time.

Are the queues exiting that long or are there too few exits in place?

Why don't you give them some feedback on it.

It was very tight , just two exits in operation . One seemed to have a delay and thereafter we had chaos . And the passenger I was collecting was already waiting when I arrived so I went straight into the queue .

What surprised me was such difficulty at 10 pm at night for just one flight.

• Advertisement

A KLM flight (KLM765) from the Caribbean island of Bonaire to Amsterdam landed at Shannon this morning.

Engine trouble?

Advertisement