Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Both statements are correct, that was her form in Bank of Ireland and Irish Water

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stanford wrote: »
    Both statements are correct, that was her form in Bank of Ireland and Irish Water

Nailing my colours to the mast here, I think Shannon has been in trouble for a long time, I think the current management were showing encouraging signs of growing the airport while also growing other parts of their business. COVID has screwed aviation and tourism, from the outside looking in the changes being put forward both have to be made and make sense from a business point of view but whether or not the right people are in place I don't know but I'd have more confidence in the executive staying to fight on that the executives that jump ship, in my opinion the people staying on are fighting for the region, the others are fighting for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Stanford wrote: »
    Any takers on the possibility of Rose Hyne's term as Chairman of the Shannon Group will be further extended beyond August 2020?
    Clare Senator, Timmy Dooley (FF) has said he was “deeply concerned” that Ms Hynes was considering staying on as Chairperson of Shannon Group.

Dooley flagged that Hynes has been on the Board since its separation from the DAA in 2013 and claimed she was “the architect and main driver of the separation project.

(Clare Echo)

So Timmy's blame game now is, like some other local politicians including the airport's trade union is that Shannon should never have left the DAA?

Why can't her critics objectively list in detail the areas where they perceived she failed to deliver for Shannon.

It seems that the likes of Dooley need to rely on political mud-slinging instead of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So Timmy's blame game now is, like some other local politicians including the airport's trade union is that Shannon should never have left the DAA?

Why can't her critics objectively list in detail the areas where they perceived she failed to deliver for Shannon.

It seems that the likes of Dooley need to rely on political mud-slinging instead of argument.

Can you give me one example of good work she has done? Anything at all will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Shannon should never have left the DAA?

I guess I am a bit young here.... but WHAT WAS THE LOGIC of SNN leaving the DAA in first place??? We all think the grass is greener on the other side.... but I can't figure out what was the selling point in it??? Not to mention the losing of the Duty Free franchise as well.... looks like a bum deal to me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Masala wrote: »
    I guess I am a bit young here.... but WHAT WAS THE LOGIC of SNN leaving the DAA in first place??? We all think the grass is greener on the other side.... but I can't figure out what was the selling point in it??? Not to mention the losing of the Duty Free franchise as well.... looks like a bum deal to me??
    Regarding leaving Aer Rianta there was a belief by many that it was limiting Shannon's "potential".
    This was around the time of the end of the stopover.
    Most of these people has an idealised idea of aviation and Shannon's role into the future.
    With the support of equally misguided (more deluded) politicians they agitated for separation, so too was Cork don't forget.

The lobby was gung ho to separate and realise their potential. Unfortunately the time they hankered for had never truly existed.

The two most terrible things in life are
    Not having your dreams come true
    And
    Having your dreams come true.

Cork looked on with envy until they saw how "green the hills were".

Regarding the duty free situation.
    It was Aer Rianta International which had the contracts.
    Note the name.
    While the concept had been advanced by Aer Rianta Shannon it was part of the Aer Rianta group.

Finally Timmy Dooley's record on Shannon is abysmal so his posturing is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Actually I was thinking of doing a review of her original game plan and then assess what was achieved and what was not.

This thread has over 6.500 posts and the previous thread has 750 posts.

Alot of good and some not so good things have happened in the period of independence.

8923240511_243af4f947_z.jpg

She is the chair of the board therefore by default any success by the Shannon group can be attributed to her.
    So you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

AnRothar wrote: »
    She is the chair of the board therefore by default any success by the Shannon group can be attributed to her.
    So you pick.

I'm not picking sides here, but that's one of the biggest cop outs I've ever read.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not picking sides here, but that's one of the biggest cop outs I've ever read.
    Most of the posters here remind me of the PFJ.
    Then when they actually think about it the following applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Most of the posters here remind me of the PFJ.
    Then when they actually think about it the following applies.
    :P:P:P

lzECdB4G1WUI.gif

So you pick.

Can you show me successes of the Shannon Group?

Actually I was thinking of doing a review of her original game plan and then assess what was achieved and what was not.

This thread has over 6.500 posts and the previous thread has 750 posts.

Alot of good and some not so good things have happened in the period of independence.

8923240511_243af4f947_z.jpg

I would absolutely love to read that if you do go ahead with it.

Can you show me successes of the Shannon Group?

Challenge accepted.
    Jaguar Land rover in the industrial estate.

New Hangar at the airport.
    :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

and what about Edwards life Science, that didn't go too well. Shannon development tried to fleece them so they've ended up in Plassey limerick which is absolute nuts when you see the traffic jams around the exits to that place.
    Well done Shannon development on another nice mess they've gotten into..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

ChuckieEgg wrote: »
    and what about Edwards life Science, that didn't go too well. Shannon development tried to fleece them so they've ended up in Plassey limerick which is absolute nuts when you see the traffic jams around the exits to that place.

So you'd be surprised if they soon announce a substantial expansion in Shannon?

tv221 wrote: »
    So you'd be surprised if they soon announce a substantial expansion in Shannon?

Not alllowed,
    Did you not get the memo, Shannon Development/Shannon Airport Management incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Interesting chat with a former plane leaser last night. He believes in a world where unnecessary travel reduces,some non commuter routes (holiday routes) could be served by airports themselves. The model he was explaining, particularly relevant for non hubs is the airport having its own small fleet of planes flying different locations at different times of the year.

In Shannon trips to Italy and South Africa could be linked to Munster rugby's schedule and then a mix of summer and winter destinations which are not already served by airlines operating in the airport operating for short periods to each destination each year.

Is this a model that could work and reduce some of that travel to Dublin Shannon is targeting.

Basically you serve Croatia for 2 weeks in September and hope those people who want to go to Croatia in a year will allow their schedule be dictated by the airport rather then driving outside region.

Is this something that is possible now?

Not alllowed,
    Did you not get the memo, Shannon Development/Shannon Airport Management incompetent.

Still waiting for you to show me some successes of Rose Byrne, whenever you get a chance please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Still waiting for you to show me some successes of Rose Byrne, whenever you get a chance please.

You do understand that Rose Byrne is the chairwoman? If you do, then I can only imagine you have no idea what a chairperson's role in a board of management is. Maybe good idea to go and educate yourself before you make yourself look even more foolish in public - like some of our idiot "public" representatives are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Post 6585.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Tiernster7 wrote: »
    Interesting chat with a former plane leaser last night. He believes in a world where unnecessary travel reduces,some non commuter routes (holiday routes) could be served by airports themselves. The model he was explaining, particularly relevant for non hubs is the airport having its own small fleet of planes flying different locations at different times of the year.

In Shannon trips to Italy and South Africa could be linked to Munster rugby's schedule and then a mix of summer and winter destinations which are not already served by airlines operating in the airport operating for short periods to each destination each year.

Is this a model that could work and reduce some of that travel to Dublin Shannon is targeting.

Basically you serve Croatia for 2 weeks in September and hope those people who want to go to Croatia in a year will allow their schedule be dictated by the airport rather then driving outside region.

Is this something that is possible now?
    Not really.
    The vast majority of the traveling public have zero idea the true cost of running an airport or an airline.

Thanks to a very effective marketing campaign they have a fixed idea in their mind as to what a flight should cost them.

While occasional rights to nice destinations would be nice the reality is that airports and airlines need to cover their costs.
    Ryanair whom many champion as the salvation of Irish aviation regularly churn routes because they get more profit elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ChuckieEgg wrote: »

Would that be the Shannon Group owned Plassey Technology Park in Plassey your talking (out of your rear end) about? Which means they're moving from one Shannon Group property to another larger one?

Post 6585.

2 successes in 8 years.

Deagol wrote: »
    You do understand that Rose Byrne is the chairwoman? If you do, then I can only imagine you have no idea what a chairperson's role in a board of management is. Maybe good idea to go and educate yourself before you make yourself look even more foolish in public - like some of our idiot "public" representatives are doing.

I know exactly what she is. She's completely unsuited to the role, the airport is in ruins(before covid came along), Shannon heritage sites are the same.

The very first line in their own description is "We are a unique family of expert businesses growing aviation, property and tourism."

What have they grown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

<Sigh> I tried, I guess you just can't save some people from themselves. I suppose that level of education / intelligence is how you end up with Trump and BJ.. :eek:

Deagol wrote: »
    <Sigh> I tried, I guess you just can't save some people from themselves. I suppose that level of education / intelligence is how you end up with Trump and BJ.. :eek:

What have the Shannon Group grown?

Unless of course you were comparing Rose Byrne to 2 other people completely unsuitable for their current roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Testing keep getting notification of new post when there is none

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Last time I checked, this thread was about Shannon airport. Not handbags. Take it elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

Would that be the Shannon Group owned Plassey Technology Park in Plassey your talking (out of your rear end) about? Which means they're moving from one Shannon Group property to another larger one?

Shannon Group do not own Plassey Ind Park.

Advertisement