Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not 100% confirmed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ryanair ending all flights on 13th of November, resuming 13th December.

are aerlingus still operating normal routes and frequency? (aside from USA)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

mdmix wrote: »
    are aerlingus still operating normal routes and frequency? (aside from USA)

From Shannon No

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

From Shannon No

what is left at shannon then? I can't see anything on the website about what routes are left

mdmix wrote: »
    what is left at shannon then? I can't see anything on the website about what routes are left

Nothing.
    Cargo, corporates and military. That's all.

• Advertisement

Ryanair ending all flights on 13th of November, resuming 13th December.

November 14th to December 8th now confirmed. With the possibility of no flights after January 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

November 14th to December 8th now confirmed. With the possibility of no flights after January 1st.

Leaving only cargo and military?

Abysmal times for the airport. Notable that same is happening in Cork and Knock, international travel is almost non existent at the moment.

Abysmal times for the airport. Notable that same is happening in Cork and Knock, international travel is almost non existent at the moment.

Cargo, military and the private flights which also seem to have fallen off a cliff lately. A lot of staff have just given up, there is no more motivation left to give for the place which is awful but completely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

That's so sad :(.

A lovely airport to transit through & serving such a large hinterland, with such a long history, all but closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Not that they add much to passenger numbers but small private planes still refuel there and Coast Guard helicopter flys out of there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Inevitable that passengers services will be suspended in January and February as well, possibly even most of March. Every chance it will be the same next winter also, or only marginally better.

It's hard to argue against the airlines' decision here, there is simply next to no demand and what little demand there is can easily be accommodated at Dublin at the moment, including military and cargo operations.

As I posted here a few weeks ago, it is difficult to justify keeping the regional airports open during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would you advocate closing all these airports then, simply as a different airport has adequate capacity to handle the traffic from all airports?

Very early to be speaking about next winter season, being 11 months away. You couldn't have foretold this 11 months ago, we don't know what'll happen in another 11.

Ya bring cargo operations to dublin & warehouse in shannon so they would have to drive all the way back down to shannon then with the cargo again ya great thinking there:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D when they could just land in shannon in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Right, but at what cost? It's all good and well saying that they can land at Shannon, but these airports are burning cash at the moment that could be put to far better use in the short term. Keeping airports open purely to handle a very small number of cargo operations doesn't make any financial sense. Shutting the airports for a few months as a cost saving measure should certainly be considered.

By all means once some kind of normality and demand returns we should be investing in the regional airports to help get them back on their feet but throwing millions at them in the short term is just wasting money to satisfy political interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

By all means once some kind of normality and demand returns we should be investing in the regional airports to help get them back on their feet but throwing millions at them in the short term is just wasting money to satisfy political interests.
    I think you're right. It's actually a substitute for a real strategy, that would be saying "look, international tourism is pole-axed for years. What can we actually do?"

No easy answers to that, and our political culture tends to prefer talking around issues rather than dealing with them. To an extent, Shannon Airport is almost a case study for that. It became an icon, which obstructs rational discussion about what the airport can achieve and what contribution it can make to regional and national development.

Right now, the answer is probably zilch contribution to either. But, exactly as you say, now is a time when we could be thinking about what's a reasonable development path post-pandemic.

And a realistic appraisal that asks questions like "how many international tourists do Ryanair bring to the Mid-West on their services to Malaga and Alicante"?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Travel for leisure won't be commonplace until a vaccine is in place. There's little work available I would imagine for those who are still there. Can't retrain into something else for a year, so what are people to do? Don't think the government wants them to sit at home and watch tv, but if people do retrain, I don't see them going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MarkR wrote: »
    Can't retrain into something else for a year, so what are people to do? Don't think the government wants them to sit at home and watch tv, but if people do retrain, I don't see them going back.

I mean they can do Springboard, you can be employed and doing it as well, many courses are only a year, just for a quicker retrain. You can be on both benefits and in employement and some cover 100% of the cost and most are covered 90% by the state.

LIT are actively advertising their courses, they open for applications in November but you need to do it on www.springboardcourses.ie

Example the LIT IOSH Health and Safety cert opens up in a few days and easily get a job out of that when qualified, maybe entry level EHS but as we've seen lately everybody needs EHS.

I'm in employment and on a course right now, as I'm typing I'm in a zoom lobby waiting for the lecturer.

Berty wrote: »
    I mean they can do Springboard, you can be employed and doing it as well, many courses are only a year, just for a quicker retrain. You can be on both benefits and in employement and some cover 100% of the cost and most are covered 90% by the state.

LIT are actively advertising their courses, they open for applications in November but you need to do it on www.springboardcourses.ie

Example the LIT IOSH Health and Safety cert opens up in a few days and easily get a job out of that when qualified, maybe entry level EHS but as we've seen lately everybody needs EHS.

I'm in employment and on a course right now, as I'm typing I'm in a zoom lobby waiting for the lecturer.

No talking in class pls :P:P:cool:

No talking in class pls :P:P:cool:

Just Whatsapp instead, thing goes bananas during lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

You say easily, how easy for someone with no health and safety background? I had a look at it its 13 weeks. Think it would be worth doing?

• Advertisement

You say easily, how easy for someone with no health and safety background? I had a look at it its 13 weeks. Think it would be worth doing?

Yes it's a part time level 6 course, entry level. Gotta start somewhere. This is where you'd start in my opinion. I was meant to do this course but began another in AIT recently.

Yes it's a part time level 6 course, entry level. Gotta start somewhere. This is where you'd start in my opinion. I was meant to do this course but began another in AIT recently.

Yes thats true, which one did you start? A different health and safety one? Also is it covered by Springboard? I know the lit one is not.

Yes thats true, which one did you start? A different health and safety one? Also is it covered by Springboard? I know the lit one is not.

It may not be covered but I think 550 for that course being IOSH is good alright.

I'm doing quality and operations L6 which is just one step above L5 which is leaving cert. Mine is covered 100% for some reason so cost me zilch with AIT.

So for anyone that , airport, or not has 2 evenings a week, and time to do assignments then definitely do a course. It really will add to both a person's CV and will open new doors.

It may not be covered but I think 550 for that course being IOSH is good alright.

I'm doing quality and operations L6 which is just one step above L5 which is leaving cert. Mine is covered 100% for some reason so cost me zilch with AIT.

So for anyone that , airport, or not has 2 evenings a week, and time to do assignments then definitely do a course. It really will add to both a person's CV and will open new doors.

Good choice seems to always be quality roles about...did you move come a completely diff area?

Good choice seems to always be quality roles about...did you move come a completely diff area?

Yes/No. I work in a sales role/consultant so just want to do something that will benefit myself and my employer which will likely benefit me with better opportunities.

As an aside people do need time for this other than 4 hours per week for the 2 courses. It is Saturday morning, and I'm on break on my once a month Saturday online course(normally should be in College on Saturdays). So once a month, 2 x 2 hours per week plus all the time you spend on the assingments.

For going through springboard, for anybody, then if you want to do something to improve yourself, learn something new, get a better job or whatever your own reasons then it's a proper qualification.

I still have a minimum 40 hours working week so now I'm adding at least 4 hours college work, + 3 hours on a Saturday plus maybe another 8 hours a month work on assingments/assessments.

Springboard generally launch around August each year for most courses but then other colleges have start dates later and in January/Feb so people should keep an eye on them. Register on springboard, then apply to the course, college checks your application and if they accept you then you upload your stuff online.

I'm a proper mature student now, student card and all, free Amazon prime and cheaper haircuts(and more). Go for it people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Shannon Development isn't at the races.....?
    Having seen the announcement for a new company coming to Galway yesterday with 200 new jobs, and considering the resources, space, rent, people skills, commercial property etc that we have in the Shannon area, i was pretty annoyed and you would have to question why we are not getting more investment here and where the issue is?
    Is there an issue between Shannon Development and the IDA? or is it Shannon Development? or where is the issue, it doesn't make sense and someone isnt doing their job.

PS i dont see it as a political issue and id rather not go down that path. I work in the private sector and as a blow in to the region, i see huge opportunities for this region that aren't being exploited and leveraged for the benefit of the region as a whole.
    Sorry if its the wrong thread, but its a discussion worth having IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

FYI Shannon Development was abolished in 2013, responsibility for foreign direct investment in the Shannon Region has rested with IDA since then

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

I think FDI's to Limerick or Galway(less so) have to be taken and used as smaller wins for Shannon. Ultimately it is a US software company and traditionally Shannon has good access to the US (better then any other regional airport). They are an hour up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Shannon Development isn't at the races.....?
    Having seen the announcement for a new company coming to Galway yesterday with 200 new jobs, and considering the resources, space, rent, people skills, commercial property etc that we have in the Shannon area, i was pretty annoyed and you would have to question why we are not getting more investment here and where the issue is?
    Is there an issue between Shannon Development and the IDA? or is it Shannon Development? or where is the issue, it doesn't make sense and someone isnt doing their job.

PS i dont see it as a political issue and id rather not go down that path. I work in the private sector and as a blow in to the region, i see huge opportunities for this region that aren't being exploited and leveraged for the benefit of the region as a whole.
    Sorry if its the wrong thread, but its a discussion worth having IMO.

Shannon Dev were doing a horrible job before becoming Shannon commercial properties, and a part of the Shannon group. And even that was because they had limited funding and were essentially competing against the IDA as always.

They had/have so much antiquated property to deal with it was almost an impossible task. A task which they've handled as well as it could be.

Working in Shannon and watching the transformation they've currently undertaken has been impressive. In a few weeks when Blocks K & L are finished and let to some decent Employers like Meira GTx it's another step in the right direction.

25 more software jobs announced at exida last week is not to be sneezed at. The renovation of a new cafe shop at the entrance to open soon. Another new Hi tech manufacturing unit across the road from that. Throw in the new 4 floor office building planning went in for last week adjacent Rineana House.

When all done driving through the estate will be a completely different experience to that of 5 years ago. And the platform needed to progress further. If anyone deserve a kicking when it comes to Shannon it's Clare County Council.

That's right Clare Co Co whom collect millions in rates and put a fraction back. While they year on year snear at Shannon not understanding why all development isn't going to Ennis. They're prepared to borrow money to put up one of the countries biggest sheds to house an ugly data center that will be a blight on Ennis. But do nothing for Shannon, thus answering a lot of your questions. Why is/isn't Shannon ...? If they worked harder on Shannon, more jobs would've been created

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

tv221 wrote: »
    Shannon Dev were doing a horrible job before becoming Shannon commercial properties, and a part of the Shannon group. And even that was because they had limited funding and were essentially competing against the IDA as always.

They had/have so much antiquated property to deal with it was almost an impossible task. A task which they've handled as well as it could be.

Working in Shannon and watching the transformation they've currently undertaken has been impressive. In a few weeks when Blocks K & L are finished and let to some decent Employers like Meira GTx it's another step in the right direction.

25 more software jobs announced at exida last week is not to be sneezed at. The renovation of a new cafe shop at the entrance to open soon. Another new Hi tech manufacturing unit across the road from that. Throw in the new 4 floor office building planning went in for last week adjacent Rineana House.

When all done driving through the estate will be a completely different experience to that of 5 years ago. And the platform needed to progress further. If anyone deserve a kicking when it comes to Shannon it's Clare County Council.

That's right Clare Co Co whom collect millions in rates and put a fraction back. While they year on year snear at Shannon not understanding why all development isn't going to Ennis. They're prepared to borrow money to put up one of the countries biggest sheds to house an ugly data center that will be a blight on Ennis. But do nothing for Shannon, thus answering a lot of your questions. Why is/isn't Shannon ...? If they worked harder on Shannon, more jobs would've been created

As a matter of interest is there any client for the proposed data centre in Ennis or is it another case of build it and they will come?

Advertisement