Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

I've booked a flight ex SNN in September. Living on the edge.

Me too! Where are you off to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Me too! Where are you off to?

Your Q & Ans reminds me of this joke :D:D:D

Two men were sitting next to each other at Murphys Pub in London. After awhile, one bloke looks at the other and says, I cant help but think, from listening to you, that youre from Ireland
    The other bloke responds proudly, Yes, that I am!

The first one says, So am I! And where about from Ireland might you be?

The other bloke answers, Im from Dublin, I am.

The first one responds, So am I!

Mother Mary and begora. And what street did you live on in Dublin ?

The other bloke says, A lovely little area it was. I lived on McCleary Street in the old central part of town.

The first one says, Faith and its a small world. So did I! So did I! And to what school would you have been going?
    The other bloke answers, Well now, I went to St. Marys, of course.
    The first one gets really excited and says, And so did I. Tell me, what year did you graduate?

The other bloke answers, Well, now, lets see. I graduated in 1964.

The first one exclaims, The Good Lord must be smiling down upon us! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same place tonight. Can you believe it, I graduated from St. Marys in 1964 my own self!

About this time, Vicky walks up to the bar, sits down and orders a drink.

Brian, the barman, walks over to Vicky, shaking his head and mutters, Its going to be a long night tonight.

Vicky asks, Why do you say that, Brian?

The Murphy twins are drunk again.

Your Q & Ans reminds me of this joke :D:D:D

Funny you should mention that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon Group to hand over tourist attractions to local councils (Irish Examiner)

Councils taking over the operation of attractions will allow Shannon Group to concentrate on restoring aviation passenger numbers.

Popular tourists attractions such as Bunratty Castle and King John's Castle are set to be transferred from the Shannon Group to Clare County Council and Limerick City and County Council.

Along with the operation of Shannon Airport, the Shannon Group operates a heritage division that includes Bunratty and King John's Castle as well as a retail unit at the Cliffs of Moher. It also manages visitor experiences in Dublin such as the GPO Witness History Museum and Malahide Castle and Gardens.

A spokesperson for the Shannon Group confirmed to the Irish Examiner it is in discussions with both Mid-West councils about taking control of the attractions within their counties, allowing the group to focus on aviation operations and building back international travellers.

It is expected that the operation of the attractions will transfer to both councils by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

No mention of Shannon in Emerald press statement. Belfast, Cork and Dublin all got a mention. Id hope Ryanair will replace Edinburgh route but don't see Birmingham getting replaced easily

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

https://www.iaa.ie/who-we-are/flight-statistics/monthly-review

The 2021 figures from March onwards are compared with the corresponding month in 2019.

New Gran Canaria flight from Shannon (Clare Herald)

Shannon Airport has welcomed the announcement by Ryanair of a new service to Gran Canaria (Las Palmas).

It’s the third new route announced by Ryanair from the Mid-West airport and will bring to 17 the number of routes operated by the carrier from Shannon.

The new service starts on 7th August and will operate once a week until the end of October.

The DHL (Condor) flight from Leipzig to Cork was diverted to Shannon this morning.

Anyone know why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Circled a few times before dirverting, so Cork was probably fogbound again.

• Advertisement

Shannon Free Zone

Canal Office Block

Draft for a 60,000 sq ft of modernised office space available for pre-let in the Shannon Free Zone business park.

Shannon Free Zone

Up to 100 new jobs to be created in Shannon with new manufacturing facility (Irish Times)

Up to 100 new jobs are to be created in Co Clare on the back of a new multi-million euro investment by OLED Material Manufacturing and PPG.

The two companies are jointly establishing a new manufacturing site in Shannon for the production of materials used in solid-state lighting applications.

The new facility is to be located at what was the former Avara pharmaceuticals plant in the Shannon Industrial Estate with renovations and regulatory approvals expected to be competed in the next 12 months. Operations are expected to commence in 2022.

Freight

There were four Anotovs 124 in Shannon the last few days.

AN-124-100 UR-82029

AN-124-100 RA-82078

AN-124-100 UR-82008

AN-124-100 UR-82007

Common Diversion Airport

Transatlantic jet diverts to Shannon (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic jet has made an unscheduled landing at Shannon Airport this afternoon after the crew declared an emergency off the north coast of Ireland.

United Airlines flight UA-47 was travelling from Frankfurt, Germany to Houston, Texas in the US at the time.

The Boeing 787-900 jet was about 180 kms northwest of Donegal at around 2.50pm when the crew declared a medical emergency and requested clearance to divert to Shannon. There were 246 passengers and crew on board.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How do you know in advance when the Antonovs are coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The only way is to either work in the airport with a company who handles them or know someone who does.

Either that or there is a Facebook group for spotters in Shannon which would have knowledgable people will sometimes give a heads up if there is one on the way.

Actually I only highlight them when they were here.

The Shannon Spotting Thread in the Aviation Forum would often announce their arrival.

*Update*

This flight was canceled yesterday and another aircraft n69063 arrived this morning to collect passengers which then flew to Chicago.

The original aircraft n19951 is now on its way to Houston.

The Houston flight was grounded at Shannon because the crew could not continue the journey without exceeding their allowed duty hours.

The passengers and crew were accommodated in local hotels overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair announce they're basing a second aircraft for the winter and launching 4 new routes and reinstating 2. Birmingham (2pw), Budapest (2pw), Edinburgh (2pw), Luton (4pw), Turin (1pw) and Fuerteventura (1pw).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Not sure if this is the right thread or not so apologies in advance if it is.

I'm collecting someone from the airport this evening but can't see what the current rules/restrictions are...eg. are people allowed into the arrivals area?

Would be grateful to hear people's recent experiences.

I've tried ringing the airport and DM'd the Twitter account but no reply/answer yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

No problem picking up in the terminal at arrivals. You may enter the terminal to wait. You have to wear a mask. No other restrictions

Excellent news for the airport will be announced shortly. New Ryanair schedule will have 50+ flights per week for the winter including another new route that should please some of the business travelling Aer Lingus defenders.

Aer Lingus resuming Heathrow at 1x daily next month as Cork Airport closes :https://www.clareecho.ie/temporary-daily-shannon-to-heathrow-service-to-commence-next-month/

Should last until the end of the year at least, if demand picks up I can't see why they'd bottle it.

If you're suggesting what I think you are, wouldn't we have heard about them acquiring slots already?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Completely useless for business travelers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

They are only doing that for 10 weeks,then its back on the dole for the employees again

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Unlikely they will use former Shannon staff, more likely they will use Cork based staff on expenses.

• Advertisement

It says it right there in the article it will be be Dublin staff operating the flight.

Advertisement