Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon is highlighting Izmir (Turkey) as a new package holiday route.

It will operate Saturdays from 23rd May to 19th Sept.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You will seem them daily from June-August :P (According to reports, Aer Lingus are taking the B767-200 from June 8th to December 21st (or there abouts). What will it be doing after August?)

When will the passenger numbers for Shannon be out? Dublin, Cork (I think) and Knock each have theirs listed.

I seen a omni 777-200er last week I think def in the last 2wks there 777s are impressive birds and look well in the omni colours.

Some local politicians seem to be concerned about the future of Aer Lingus operating from Shannon Airport.

We have seen some ups and downs over the last two years.

• Aer Lingus MRO Hangar closed (90 technical staff transferred to Dublin).
    • Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart) closed (Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol).
    • Aer Lingus Heathrow reduction in seat capacity (-17%) by replacing an A320 with an A319.
    • Aer Lingus New York / Boston leasing of aircraft / staff (Air Contractors / Omni).
    • Aer Lingus holiday flights (Faro, Lanzarote, Malaga).
    • Aer Lingus takeover bid by British Airways (Heathrow slots? / Trans-Atlantic routes?).
    Aer Lingus explains decision to use Omni crew (Clare Courier)

Breen wants any Aer Lingus sale to include Shannon deal (Clare Courier)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I would see the fears as being well founded. BA seem to very much favour a hub and spoke approach in terms of their airline routings. In Ireland the hub would clearly be Dublin. If you look at BA's operations at Manchester Airport they have now been scaled down to next to nothing in favour of connecting passengers in and out of Heathrow. Longer term rail improvements in the UK may result in them leaving Manchester completely. Similarly, there seems to be no real market in terms of connecting other Irish airports to Dublin.

Other than a need to satisfy any political considerations foisted upon them as part of a deal I can't see them having much interest in Shannon (or Cork or Knock either). It may be that the best that Cork and Shannon can hope for longer term is to try and force the retention of their Heathrow connections. If that is not forced through (and you could argue that it shouldn't be) I doubt they will be kept as those Heathrow slots could be used in a far more profitable manner on high yield long haul routes. I think that, if IAG take over, all other routes could well be swiftly dropped from these three airports. Of course, as Manchester has shown, you do not necessarily need to have your national flag carrier airline on board to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus have scrapped LHR before under Government ownership, they will again if they see fit and no Government can dictate to them how to run a commercial airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have scrapped LHR before under Government ownership, they will again if they see fit and no Government can dictate to them how to run a commercial airline.

Except possibly the Government that owns a significant stake in the airline (rightly or wrongly). For what it's worth I agree with you in principle on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if political interests play a significant role in any deal with a general election on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Except possibly the Government that owns a significant stake in the airline (rightly or wrongly). For what it's worth I agree with you in principle on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if political interests play a significant role in any deal with a general election on the horizon.

Political interests will play a role however long term they will not work out, EI or IAG will scrap LHR if it's not commercially viable. You can't really legally ring fence slots for specific airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I think the danger is overstated. It could result in an improvement to flight times, the first morning flight for certain. With the A319 on the route now I'd be really surprised if it was loss making.

The CSO statistics for October are out today.

A total of 331,880 North American passengers were recorded in the first 10 months of this year.

That is nearly the same amount for the whole year of 2013.

335049.png

1.64m total pax in 2014. Also comments here from CEO about LHR link. http://t.co/DRiImi4sUn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

1.64m total pax in 2014.

I was expecting a little more tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭munsterrugby09

Long shot but if anybody knows of somebody that was suppose to be going to Manxhester weekend of jan 31 and had flights booked with Ryanair from Shannon I will take the Sunday night flight back from Manchester to Shannon feb 1st. Bought flight going out a good bit back with the hope that the flight coming back would go down in price. It's only going up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

There's a €110/£110 admin fee for name change and it can't be applied to a partially used booking so I'd say you're looking at a long shot alright.

The airport has published a mixture of absolute figures or %-value increases for 2014 with the exception of the domestic and transit figures.

So in order to make a complete picture of the traffic figures for 2014, I simply guessed the domestic passengers to be around 5,000 (1,900 Santa seats).

In that case, the transit passengers should be around 100,000.

Then the breakdown of the traffic figures for 2014 should look like this.

335123.png

20 planes diverted from Dublin Airport over high winds (RTE)

Dublin Airport has said that 20 aircraft have been diverted as strong winds batter the country this afternoon.

8 of the planes were diverted to Shannon.

Landed 13:00 (Aer Lingus) London Heathrow
    Landed 13:17 (Aer Lingus) Barcelona
    Landed 13:28 (Aer Lingus) Berlin Schonefeld
    Landed 13:39 (Aer Lingus) Faro
    Landed 13:44 (Aer Lingus) Munich
    Landed 13:31 (Ryanair) Rygge
    Landed 14:23 (Ryanair) Lisbon
    Landed 14:40 (Ryanair) Birmingham

The airport's page for traffic figures is now up to date.

335224.png

I just seen an advertisement on Facebook for a page called "Shannon Airport Support Group"

Anyone know what its about?

Some sort of fan group. Doubt it's something official.

Some sort of fan group. Doubt it's something official.

Hmm. I was wondering if it was anything to do with the Friends of Shannon Airport meeting last year.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for December.

The overall total UK figures are up +6.31% as against the same month from last year.

335325.png

• Advertisement

No Shannon-Boston flight this morning? I though it ran on sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

No Shannon-Boston flight this morning? I though it ran on sundays?

There's 1 or 2 Sundays in January and February when it's not scheduled to operate. Including today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Any rumours on Shannon to Birmingham operating again?

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Any rumours on Shannon to Birmingham operating again?

Ryanair may operate it from September, thats about it.

Ryanair may operate it from September, thats about it.

Mother won't be happy, funding MOL pension pot!

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Mother won't be happy, funding MOL pension pot!

Whats wrong with MOL?

Ryanair can bring the passengers on the routes, EI regional cannot do so as much. Sky High fares dont bode well with people.

Example.
    The minimum return fare to manchester with EI was €80
    The minimum return fare to manchester with FR is €20.
    I wouldn't pay €80, but I would pay the €20. Same goes for alot of people.

Whats wrong with MOL?

Ryanair can bring the passengers on the routes, EI regional cannot do so as much. Sky High fares dont bode well with people.

Example.
    The minimum return fare to manchester with EI was €80
    The minimum return fare to manchester with FR is €20.
    I wouldn't pay €80, but I would pay the €20. Same goes for alot of people.

I agree, try telling that to my Mother, all she sees is red, any-time Michael is on.

I could not care less, got to see a lot of Europe, thanks to Ryanair.

The downside is Ryanair cannot bring connecting passengers, but looking at the Manchester figures, the ryanair service is really taking the passengers.

UL has orientation guides at the airport to welcome over 500 international students during the coming days.

Link

• Advertisement

IASC has twittered this IDA promotional video.

Ireland - International Hub for Aviation Leasing 2015.

Link

Advertisement