Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair have changed the itenary on their special flights from Shannon to Rome. The outbound flight will arrive into Fiumicino and the return flight will depart from Ciampino.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what are these special flights for, is it for a game?

zweton wrote: »
    what are these special flights for, is it for a game?

Yeah the rugby world cup.
    There's Rome in February (around the 7th)
    Edinburgh in March (Around the 7th)
    Cardiff also in March (Around the 14th)

All operated by Ryanair and bookable through their website.

What I've noticed with these flights is that you can also book EDI-SNN, Cardiff to Shannon and Rome to Shannon for around €62 return as well during the special flights so that may bring a few tourists as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Jet in emergency landing at Shannon (Clare Herald)

Emergency services along with coastal search and rescue units were put on alert yesterday after an executive jet suffered technical problems over the Atlantic.

The Dassault Falcon 900EX jet, with six passengers and crew on board, was about an hour northwest of Shannon when the pilot declared an emergency.

The 21-seater jet, registered to Constellation Leasing in Rochester, New York, is understood to have been flying to an airport in the UK when the crew reported an issue with its fuel system.

Airport emergency crews were standing by for the jet which landed safely at 3.45pm.

IAG's Willie Walsh gives Heathrow slot guarantees to Government (Independent)

IAG has proposed commitments to ensure:

• Aer Lingus’ 23 slot pairs at London Heathrow (“Heathrow Slots”), cannot be sold, including to other IAG Airlines.
    • Aer Lingus’ name, head office location or place of incorporation in the Republic of Ireland, cannot be changed.
    • In addition, IAG is prepared to offer a further commitment to operate the slots on Irish routes for five years.

This is protection that the Government does not have today.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the government can yet get better terms for the Shannon / Cork Heathrow slots (ten years commitment for FDI).

• Advertisement

IAG's Willie Walsh gives Heathrow slot guarantees to Government (Independent)

IAG has proposed commitments to ensure:

• Aer Lingus’ 23 slot pairs at London Heathrow (“Heathrow Slots”), cannot be sold, including to other IAG Airlines.
    • Aer Lingus’ name, head office location or place of incorporation in the Republic of Ireland, cannot be changed.
    • In addition, IAG is prepared to offer a further commitment to operate the slots on Irish routes for five years.

This is protection that the Government does not have today.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the government can yet get better terms for the Shannon / Cork Heathrow slots (ten years commitment for FDI).

Im also cautious of the Wording. They can cancel the Shannon service if they wish, they just have to utilise the slots elsewhere (In ireland) if that is the contract right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They could yes not til 2020 mind. They could pull them in the morning if they wanted at present

Russian / NATO war games kept Shannon Air Traffic Control Centre on their toes last week.

Interestingly enough (though probably technically unrelated), an US Army aircraft from their Intelligence-gathering platform arrived and departed from Shannon on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Im also cautious of the Wording. They can cancel the Shannon service if they wish, they just have to utilise the slots elsewhere (In ireland) if that is the contract right there.

As they did a few years back with Belfast, & Shannon severely lost out with the Heathrow flights. Mid-West Ireland still feels very sore about that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jim Martin wrote: »
    As they did a few years back with Belfast, & Shannon severely lost out with the Heathrow flights. Mid-West Ireland still feels very sore about that!

Extremely sore about it, it cost me a job, on the flip side the redundancy paid for my wedding so some good came out of it :)

• Advertisement

Taipei crash plane flew Toulouse team to Shannon (Clare Herald)

Almost a brand new aircraft, would make you think!!!

Here is an image of the Toulouse rugby team boarding the ill-fated plane at Shannon last year before it was delivered to Transasia Airways.

Shannon Aerospace is now Lufthansa Technik Shannon (AviationPros)

The Irish facility operated by Lufthansa Technik as part of its European aircraft overhaul network is now called Lufthansa Technik Shannon. What used to be Shannon Aerospace (SAL) - a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lufthansa Technik AG - has thus joined Hamburg, Berlin, Budapest, Malta and Sofia as one of the six European base maintenance facilities in name as well as in practice. The change in name coincides with the 25th Anniversary of the company which provides services to over 50 airlines and employs a workforce of more than 500.

The renaming of the company, which is located at Shannon Airport in western Ireland, is not yet visible everywhere and will be implemented step by step over the coming months. It will not entail any changes for customers in their current contracts, addresses or contact partners.

Lufthansa Technik Shannon specializes in the overhaul of short- and medium-range aircraft. The services offered include basic overhauls (D-checks) and annual checks (C-checks) on the Boeing 737, 757, 767 and the Airbus A320 family of aircraft.

Lufthansa Technik Shannon also specializes in the provision of extensive services to the aircraft leasing business, and here it has the location advantage that over 50 percent of the world's largest aircraft leasing companies are based in Dublin and Shannon. The number of leasing returns and transition projects is definitely on the rise.

The fully owned subsidiary of Lufthansa Technik is certified by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and the American Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

aerion-alert.gif?w=750&h=419

New aircraft tracking centre base for Clare (Clare Herald)

A new centre that will be able to track aircraft in distress from space will be based at an Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) facility in Co Clare.

It has been confirmed that the Aireon Aircraft Locating and Emergency Response Tracking (Aireon ALERT) will be managed from the IAA’s North Atlantic Communications Centre in Ballygirreen near Newmarket on Fergus.

Aerion, based in North Virginia in the US, is currently developing the world’s first space-based Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS–B) global air traffic surveillance system which, it’s hoped, will eliminate the issue of ‘losing’ an aircraft like Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 that disappeared without a trace last March.

CLARE SENATOR TO QUIT FG IF AER LINGUS SHARES SOLD
    Clare Champion

This seems like quite un-necessarily strong action by the senator. Its good to know that the political support of Shannon Airport is still alive and well.

I really do have mixed feelings for this bid. I cant tell if its good or bad for Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus are not afraid to scrap them now if they wanted to so not sure what difference IAG will make. He will probably lose his seat anyway next year.

CLARE SENATOR TO QUIT FG IF AER LINGUS SHARES SOLD
    Clare Champion

This seems like quite un-necessarily strong action by the senator. Its good to know that the political support of Shannon Airport is still alive and well.

I really do have mixed feelings for this bid. I cant tell if its good or bad for Shannon.

Not at all good if it loses its Heathrow slots!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not at all good if it loses its Heathrow slots!

It's as likely to lose those slots now as it is after an IAG takeover.

It's as likely to lose those slots now as it is after an IAG takeover.

More likley now if anything.

IAG will have guarantees with the Heathrow slots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't understand why everyone is so hell bent on the Heathrow slots, Aer Lingus decided themselves to move their slots from an Irish Airport to a UK Airport (not meaning to be political just trying to make a point), also Aer Lingus have almost gone bust a couple of times, to me it's almost a no brainer to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

More likley now if anything.

IAG will have guarantees with the Heathrow slots.

Exactly.........we get guarantees from IAG and no guarantees from the irish gov or from Aer Lingus who showed us their true colours back in 2009/10 when they shut down the service completely!! even know the service is pretty poor as the slot times are not optimised for business travellers, so while i was a little skeptical at the start, having heard the outcome from yesterdays meeting, i think we have a better chance with IAG then with AerLingus who might not even be around in 5 years time.

• Advertisement

The Lanzarote flight for next week (21st Feb) from Shannon is completely sold out, and the next few weeks are for sale at sky high prices (Over €800 return).
    If this lanzarote service is so overwhelmingly overbooked in the winter, why don't they run it through the summer?

Surely, if IAG get hold of those Heathrow slots, they wont give one iota about Ireland or Aer Lingus, they'll want to use them for whatever gets them the most profit? Ireland's gov't should hang onto them for all they're worth! At least while they have shares in Aer Lingus, they have some control over the slots, even if they didn't choose to use it in the past!

Surely, if IAG get hold of those Heathrow slots, they wont give one iota about Ireland or Aer Lingus, they'll want to use them for whatever gets them the most profit? Ireland's gov't should hang onto them for all they're worth! At least while they have shares in Aer Lingus, they have some control over the slots, even if they didn't choose to use it in the past!

Sorry, but you honestly don't know what you're talking about. IAG don't intend to asset strip Aer Lingus, so have no reason to close profitable routes which already deposit passengers into their trasfer network. They have guaranteed the SNN and ORK routes for at least 5 years, which is 5 years more than they're guaranteed to stay right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Has anyone considered the potential upside for more pre clearance business with IAG ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Sorry, but you honestly don't know what you're talking about. IAG don't intend to asset strip Aer Lingus, so have no reason to close profitable routes which already deposit passengers into their trasfer network. They have guaranteed the SNN and ORK routes for at least 5 years, which is 5 years more than they're guaranteed to stay right now.

You are correct of course, but like a lot of things people just believe the scaremongering - this is most likely the way the average voter looks at the situation, which is why things like this become such a political hot potato.

No need to bite my head off! I'm entitled to my opinion as you are but the big fear in the Midwest is that Shannon may lose its Heathrow slots & that would be one big loss!

No need to bite my head off! I'm entitled to my opinion as you are but the big fear in the Midwest is that Shannon may lose its Heathrow slots & that would be one big loss!

But, why would they if they are being guaranteed for 5 years and are going to stay with Aer Lingus?

I am still very sceptical of the Aer Lingus takeover though, but the Heathrow slots are the only part of the takeover that is good news for Shannon.

From what I have seen of IAG's current business plans are that they are very hub focused. Operations outside the hub are very minimal. Eg, Iberia are almost completly focused on Madrid. If LHR wasn't full, BA would have no or a miniature presence in LGW. BA also have a measly 3 routes from MAN.

My fear is that every EI route from Shannon (and cork) except LHR will be pulled and never be reinstated.

Again, IAG has guaranteed the SNN - LHR slots for at least 5 years after the takeover. That is 5 years longer than they are guaranteed now.

The seat map for the B767-200 being leased by EI next year are available on the Aer Lingus website, the seating is 2,3,2 in economy (As was suspected) and 2,2,2 in business

There are 189 economy seats and 12 Business seats making a total of the reported 201 seats.

It will be great to have daily wide-body operations back in Shannon next year.

• Advertisement

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for January.

Despite the number of route withdrawals, the overall total UK figures are up +8% as against the same month from last year.

339817.png

Advertisement