Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Masala wrote: »
    Sure ... SNN have 2 German flights as it stands. Can't see where ye getting the demand for a 3rd.

Germany is huge. The North Rhine Westphalia is the most heavily populated area of Germany and it's 500 miles from both Berlin and Munich. I don't see why a flight into that area wouldn't be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Germany is huge. The North Rhine Westphalia is the most heavily populated area of Germany and it's 500 miles from both Berlin and Munich. I don't see why a flight into that area wouldn't be successful.

Indeed a service into Dusseldorf/Cologne area could stand on its own 2 feet easily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

I agree... Germany has a population of 80 million people!!!

But why then is there such small uptake on flights into Ireland - particularly the West??? Why hasn't Knock and Cork got a German service ...??

As mentioned above .. Kerry is only 4 x weekly for Summer (2 x weekly for Winter). Why isn't that a minimum 6 times in the Summer if the demand is there??? I reckon that the fare is not there for the Airline and whilst there may be an interest among the Germans.. they not prepared to pay! Just my 2cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I agree... Germany has a population of 80 million people!!!

But why then is there such small uptake on flights into Ireland - particularly the West??? Why hasn't Knock and Cork got a German service ...??

As mentioned above .. Kerry is only 4 x weekly for Summer (2 x weekly for Winter). Why isn't that a minimum 6 times in the Summer if the demand is there??? I reckon that the fare is not there for the Airline and whilst there may be an interest among the Germans.. they not prepared to pay! Just my 2cents.

Knock had a flight to Germany last year, and Cork has a year round flight to Munich .

Kerry is an airport in the arsehole of nowhere so the inbound market is limited.

Carnacalla wrote: »

Kerry is an airport in the arsehole of nowhere so the inbound market is limited.

You know... Comments like that not needed to be honest. Doesn't help give your input any credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You know... Comments like that not needed to be honest. Doesn't help give your input any credibility.

Whilst not exactly poetically put, the underlying point is not unreasonable..

A flight to Cork or Shannon covers people wanting to travel to a variety of places..

Cork covers Cork and most of the South East

Shannon covers Clare,Limerick,Galway and a fair slice of Tipp..

A flight to Kerry Airport covers Kerry , and not even all of Kerry either - It's a very specific market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There was a friend of mine on the Frankfurt Hahnn - Kerry flight the other day. He said it was full, nearly all German tourists.

finbarrk wrote: »
    There was a friend of mine on the Frankfurt Hahnn - Kerry flight the other day. He said it was full, nearly all German tourists.

Coming into Late March on the verge of 4 flights but still only two, its bound to be busy. There's a market in Kerry, no-one has doubted that. It would be better reached in Shannon or Cork though.

There's a market in Kerry, no-one has doubted that. It would be better reached in Shannon or Cork though.

Why????
    Sure they are using Kerry flight to come to Kerry! Why fly to Shannon if you want to come to Kerry??

Why????
    Sure they are using Kerry flight to come to Kerry! Why fly to Shannon if you want to come to Kerry??

How do you know they all want to go to Kerry? There's no competition! I know people from Clare who use the Hahn route but have no choice but to go to Kerry!

Its very likely you will find that the route would do the same and better from Cork and Shannon.

• Advertisement

How do you know they all want to go to Kerry? There's no competition! I know people from Clare who use the Hahn route but have no choice but to go to Kerry!

Its very likely you will find that the route would do the same and better from Cork and Shannon.

And how do you know that???? Sure - I can 'know a mate' who has a holiday home in Kenmare and uses Kerry all the time.

And how do you know that???? Sure - I can 'know a mate' who has a holiday home in Kenmare and uses Kerry all the time.

How do I know that? Common knowledge? There is no flight to Hahn from Shannon, Cork or Knock. People will fly to Kerry or Dublin to access Galway and Limerick. Common knowledge.

Statistically, the route is guaranteed to do better at cork or Shannon due to the population in the catchment area. Its a fools game to argue that point. Of course there's more to that than just statistically, but I think the route would still do better from Cork or Shannon.

How do I know that? Common knowledge? There is no flight to Hahn from Shannon, Cork or Knock.

Well... that says it all so. Knock had a HHN recently and it got dropped. Why doesn't Shannon have a HHN then... maybe Ryanair route management don't know what they doing. Especially as it common knowledge that a HHN would work better in Shannon than Kerry.

Jeez... the world doesn't start and finish in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Shannon had HHN before and it had bad loads, whatever it is about KIR it works.

Well... that says it all so. Knock had a HHN recently and it got dropped. Why doesn't Shannon have a HHN then... maybe Ryanair route management don't know what they doing. Especially as it common knowledge that a HHN would work better in Shannon than Kerry.

Jeez... the world doesn't start and finish in Shannon.

Your point isn't transparent so you return to a weak insult? I mentioned Cork also in a lot of my points that hardly suggests that "the world starts and ends in Shannon". Its like a stereotype has been made that anyone who remotely supports Shannon is very extreme in their support.

Jamie, how many routes was HHN up against that were similar. How many years ago was it?

I'm not asking for a transfer of the route, it works in Kerry and it'd be better to get eg a Düsseldorf route and not destroy a Kerry market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

SNN-HHN was originally launched in summer 2000 at a weekly frequency. Back then SNN had a weekly range of charters to various German airports for inbound German tourism, including from Stuttgart and Munich. Of course the weekly HHN service complimented this and could well, or rather could be seen as predatory. HHN was weekly until they launched the base in 2004/5 when the frequency was upped and it didn't perform.

Kerry effectively serves its own market plus Cork/Shannon areas when it comes to Hahn. Similarly to how it has the only connection to Luton in the South

Similarly to how it has the only connection to Luton in the South

Not anymore, WAT-LTN launches in a month.

Strange, the Shannon Airport website has the Boston arrival on Sunday morning as Bordeaux with the Callsign EI1132. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Your point isn't transparent so you return to a weak insult? I mentioned Cork also in a lot of my points that hardly suggests that "the world starts and ends in Shannon". Its like a stereotype has been made that anyone who remotely supports Shannon is very extreme in their support.

Don't think it's what you said about SNN, but more your dismissal of KIR as a destination in a previous post that left a bit of a sour taste!

It did come across as offensive and condescending, at least to me anyway.

Not to mind inaccurate. I mean, it's only one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country.

Dingle, Killarney, the Ring of Kerry etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Don't think it's what you said about SNN, but more your dismissal of KIR as a destination in a previous post that left a bit of a sour taste!

It did come across as offensive and condescending, at least to me anyway.

Not to mind inaccurate. I mean, it's only one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country.

Dingle, Killarney, the Ring of Kerry etc etc

Wow guys can we all stop being so sensitive. SNN has been knocked over and over on this thread and nobody is coming back saying "it's offensive and condescending" and taking it so personally.
    It's a Shannon airport thread let's stop with the politics and get back to the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Jet diverts with burning smell on board (Clare Herald)

A London bound passenger jet diverted to Shannon Airport this morning after fumes were detected on board.

British Airways flight 2156 was en route from Antigua in the Caribbean to Gatwick Airport when the crew reported a problem.

There were 239 passengers crew on board the Boeing 777-200 jet which was south of Cork when the odour was detected by passengers and cabin crew members.

The crew confirmed however there was no visible evidence of smoke or fire.

The pilot advised air traffic controllers at Shannon of their situation and requested permission to divert and land there.

Emergency services were standing by at Shannon for the flight when it landed safely at 8.57am.

The passengers have been taken to the terminal while engineers investigate the issue.

Arrangements are being made to get the passengers to their destination but they are expected to continue their journey this afternoon.

Line of 4 Jets into Shannon this afternoon, unusual for the Winter Season.

The first 2 are scheduled flights, the 3rd is a Boeing 787-8 inbound from Heathrow to pick up passengers from an earlier diversion (See Brennans Row's post above) and the 4th is an Omni Air 767.

Line of 4 Jets into Shannon this afternoon, unusual for the Winter Season.

The first 2 are scheduled flights, the 3rd is a Boeing 787-8 inbound from Heathrow to pick up passengers from an earlier diversion (See Brennans Row's post above) and the 4th is an Omni Air 767.

Yeah saw on flight radar that the Air Canada A319 (LHR-St. Johns) diverted to SNN as well..any idea why? Probably needed more fuel before crossing the Atlantic?

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Yeah saw on flight radar that the Air Canada A319 (LHR-St. Johns) diverted to SNN as well..any idea why? Probably needed more fuel before crossing the Atlantic?

Fuel. Its done it several times this winter. Quite windy now so it doesn't surprise me at the least.
    I mentioned it earlier in the Flightradar24 thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

3 omni air on the ground atm, BA 777 & BA 787 and air Canada A319 just departed! interesting day at SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

imurdaddy wrote: »
    3 omni air on the ground atm . . . . interesting day at SNN
    Interesting indeed, as I saw that one had arrived from Riga, probably returning from NATO manoeuvres in the Baltic.

Can we expect more Russian manoeuvres in Irish controlled airspace?

How come Ryanair are not having a 6:35am departure to Stansted like last summer? Its 7:05am one will make it lose a few of the Business pax it had been stealing from Heathrow.

How come Ryanair are not having a 6:35am departure to Stansted like last summer? Its 7:05am one will make it lose a few of the Business pax it had been stealing from Heathrow.

Yeah strange. They had the advantage of that early flight over EI. Strange and dissapponting..STN is a fair bit out of London as well

Ryanairs summer season started today didn't it? things don't seem to be running on time anyway ha good few delays

• Advertisement

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Ryanairs summer season started today didn't it? things don't seem to be running on time anyway ha good few delays

Average day really, a few minor delays, not more than 30mins. Look a cork then, 2 cancelled FR flights and the Malaga one delayed 5 hours.

Also on FR24, there's a lot of planes flying around today with their destination not listed. The summer schedule must be confusing FR24. Eg ACE-SNN and NCE-SNN were listed as ACE-? and NCE-?. Others were working though.

Advertisement