Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

What would be the best size lens to use to get a good photo? I have a 300mm lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

AC877 Frankfurt - Toronto diverted to Shannon a Few Minutes ago.

http://i58.tinypic.com/11uuwc2.jpg

Mod edit due to large picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The CSO statistics for January are out.

A total of 12,406 North American passengers were recorded (+29%).

Being one of the quietest months of the year, Boston did well with 5,003 passengers.

Also out are the IAA traffic statistics.

Shannon Airport air traffic up +0.6% for March (IAA).

344766.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Carnacalla wrote: »
    AC877 Frankfurt - Toronto diverted to Shannon a Few Minutes ago.
    Woman arrested after plane diversion (Clare Herald)

An elderly woman has been arrested after the flight on which she was travelling was forced to divert to Shannon Airport this evening.

It’s understood that the woman, believed to be in her 80’s, :p became disruptive on board the transatlantic jet and that at least one cabin crew member was assaulted.

Gardaí and airport police officers were waiting for Air Canada flight ACA-877 when it landed at Shannon at around 8.15pm. Airport emergency services were also standing by.

The Boeing 777-300 jet was over 1,000 kilometres north west of Shannon when the crew opted to turn around. The flight was on it’s way from Frankfurt in Germany to Toronto, Canada at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

An-225 just landed In Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

antonov.jpg

World’s biggest plane to visit Shannon (Clare Herald)

The worlds largest airplane will make a rare visit to Shannon this weekend with hundreds of plane spotters from all over the country expected to converge on the airport.

The Antonov 225 ‘Mriya’, meaning ‘Dream’, was designed and built by the Antonov Design Bureau in the Ukraine and first flew on December 21st 1988.

The 6-engined monster, with its 36 wheels, is now operated by Antonov Airlines, the transport arm of the Antonov Company, and holds over 300 world records for transporting oversized loads.

Because of its size, the An-225 requires a runway of between 3,000 and 3,500 metres in length to take off making Shannon’s, at 3199m (10,486ft), the only one in Ireland capable of handling the plane.

The plane’s wingspan of 88.4m (290ft) is 90 feet wider than the runway at Shannon which is 61m (200ft) wide including 8m (26ft) of shoulder on each side.

Operations Director at Shannon Airport Niall Maloney said: “We will get absolute confirmation at some stage on Saturday. But as things stand the Antonov 225 is scheduled to arrive into Shannon at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday and depart on Sunday night at 10p.m. and will, as ever, generate a lot of interest and excitement here at Shannon.”

“We had over 2,000 aviation enthusiasts here in May 2013 when it last landed at Shannon and we will be expecting a big crowd again to come and see it through out Sunday. We would urge people intending to travel to check in with our Twitter and Facebook accounts where we will be confirming the aircraft’s arrival or otherwise at the earliest opportunity.

“There are a number of vantage points around the airport to view the aircraft, including the viewing gallery in the airport itself and an outdoor viewing area adjacent to the Shannon Aerospace facility,” Mr Maloney added.

Its carrying US weapons and more for yanky terrorist friends!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Its carrying US weapons and more for yanky terrorist friends!!

Bold troll, we don't like trolling on here so have a break for a week from here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Woman arrested after plane diversion (Clare Herald)

An elderly woman has been arrested after the flight on which she was travelling was forced to divert to Shannon Airport this evening.

It’s understood that the woman, believed to be in her 80’s, :p became disruptive on board the transatlantic jet and that at least one cabin crew member was assaulted.

Gardaí and airport police officers were waiting for Air Canada flight ACA-877 when it landed at Shannon at around 8.15pm. Airport emergency services were also standing by.

The Boeing 777-300 jet was over 1,000 kilometres north west of Shannon when the crew opted to turn around. The flight was on it’s way from Frankfurt in Germany to Toronto, Canada at the time.

That's just crazy, what's the point in diverting a plane for that? It's not like she could do anyone any harm. Health and Safety Hysteria gone mad. Just give her a prune juice and she'll be sleeping that off for 2 hours and won't bother anyone.
    It's a sad indictment when we have to unthinkingly follow protocol and no one is allowed to use their own judgement.
    We should charge extra for useless diversions with an extra bonus for wasting everyone's time. I'm sure they requested firebrigade and the riot squad. Seriously, who diverts a plane because an old granny is throwing a tantrum?

That's just crazy, what's the point in diverting a plane for that? It's not like she could do anyone any harm. Health and Safety Hysteria gone mad. Just give her a prune juice and she'll be sleeping that off for 2 hours and won't bother anyone.
    It's a sad indictment when we have to unthinkingly follow protocol and no one is allowed to use their own judgement.
    We should charge extra for useless diversions with an extra bonus for wasting everyone's time. I'm sure they requested firebrigade and the riot squad. Seriously, who diverts a plane because an old granny is throwing a tantrum?

The crew members did think on that plane. She was assessed, and she was found to be a risk to the health and safety of herself and/or others. If she was not found to be this, the plane would not have diverted, the crew don't take diverting lightly.

The crew members did think on that plane. She was assessed, and she was found to be a risk to the health and safety of herself and/or others. If she was not found to be this, the plane would not have diverted, the crew don't take diverting lightly.

She is an 80 year old woman! What was she going to do? Rip the cockpit door from its hinges and beat someone to death with it?
    If someone has a medical condition or is a physical threat, yes. If she was neither, no.

• Advertisement

She is an 80 year old woman! What was she going to do? Rip the cockpit door from its hinges and beat someone to death with it?
    If someone has a medical condition or is a physical threat, yes. If she was neither, no.
    There's a lot she can do, I wouldn't be so dismissive. A plane crash is when a lot of unlikely things go wrong and the proper precautions sometimes not taken. Although I'm not saying this would have been so sinister, she was a very obvious threat to the Cabin Crew and herself. She had to be restrained according to reports, so what else can they do but divert? They can't hold her down for another 8 hours and its completely against the rules to force her to drink something, that's human rights violations!

There's a lot she can do, I wouldn't be so dismissive. A plane crash is when a lot of unlikely things go wrong and the proper precautions sometimes not taken. Although I'm not saying this would have been so sinister, she was a very obvious threat to the Cabin Crew and herself. She had to be restrained according to reports, so what else can they do but divert? They can't hold her down for another 8 hours and its completely against the rules to force her to drink something, that's human rights violations!

How long can an 80 year old woman struggle? Certainly not for 8 hours, unless it was this woman:

:D

I think there's a case to be made for flight crew to carry tazers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Rules are rules and don't have a cavet for age, as for arming cabin crew, good gawd no, that's just something to be used as a weapon, I wouldn't trust some air crew with hot water let alone a taser

Clareman wrote: »
    Rules are rules and don't have a cavet for age, as for arming cabin crew, good gawd no, that's just something to be used as a weapon, I wouldn't trust some air crew with hot water let alone a taser

They already have hot water, so be very afraid. The tazer thing, just throwing it out there.
    As for "rules are rules", would they divert a plane because of a screaming toddler? They could say they found his behaviour threatening and therefore "rules are rules" and we are not allowed to question it. Sorry, I grew up in Germany and the one bit of information my paretns generation gave me was "Do not trust those bastards in charge, question their decisions and do not just go along with it". For very good reasons. Power corrupts and all that.
    It seems nowadays people enjoy the tiniest bit of power given to them and giving someone the power to divert an entire plane is just too much to resist. It's like a huge, red, shiny button with "Do Not Press!" written on it.
    The had the police and emergency services on alert, am I the only one who sees how fcuked up that is? What if there was a real emergency somewhere else? Pileup on the motorway, industrial accident? "Sorry, no emergency vehicles available, they have to watch an octogenarian being arrested by the armed emergency response unit"
    Actually, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they should have had the army and airforce standing by. Maybe a national alert? Curfews and telling people to either stay indoors or go to the nearest bomb shelter?
    After all, no reaction is an overreaction when it comes to safety. We'll be safe, even if it kills us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

to be honest if the emergency services are coming from the town to carry out the task there's something seriously wrong there.

this is aimed at me as well as others, we can't discuss an ongoing court case on here, even an air incident.

Clareman wrote: »
    this is aimed at me as well as others, we can't discuss an ongoing court case on here, even an air incident.

Woops, sorry.

Well, back on track. i was fortunate enough to know someone who knows someone who could get me airside today at Shannon. Here are the resulting pics:

345047.jpg

345048.jpg

345049.jpg

345050.jpg

345051.jpg

345052.jpg

345053.jpg

345054.jpg

345055.jpg

345056.jpg

345058.jpg

345059.jpg

345061.jpg

345062.jpg

345063.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Looking out for it to fly over Tulla. Clear skies. WOuld appreciate hearing when it takes off from anyone.

Looking out for it to fly over Tulla. Clear skies. WOuld appreciate hearing when it takes off from anyone.

I think it left at 10, that was before you wrote the comment. I didn't see or hear anything anyway.

I think it left at 10, that was before you wrote the comment. I didn't see or hear anything anyway.

It left at 23:20 and flew over the Shannon.

It left at 23:20 and flew over the Shannon.

I'm facing the Galway direction, so couldn't have seen it sadly.

It was heading towards France anyway.

The BI-Weekly cargo service from IST-SNN-ORD seems to have gone out the window, it operated 3 times before simply being flown IST-ORD direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Great pictures dr.! Even greater airplane!;-) You have better local knowledge boardsies, going away for 2 weeks, is there any other option for parking rather using Park4less? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

The BI-Weekly cargo service from IST-SNN-ORD seems to have gone out the window, it operated 3 times before simply being flown IST-ORD direct.

Was thinking I never saw it on flightradar. What happened I wonder..seemed promising at the start

padyjoe wrote: »
    Great pictures dr.! Even greater airplane!;-) You have better local knowledge boardsies, going away for 2 weeks, is there any other option for parking rather using Park4less? Thank you!

I used to bring the GF and the bags to the terminal, bring the car to the industrial estate and walk back on foot.
    There is of course an element of risk, but so far have always found that the car was still there and in one piece when I came back. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you! Would you leave your car there for 2 weeks I wonder? I checked the price the cheapest €50. If there was a direct bus service I'd have chosen it but nothing. Travelling from KK.

Advertisement