Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Memmingen will bring in some tourists in the height of summer but that's about it. They would be better off with a route like Bergamo or Girona to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Memmingen will bring in some tourists in the height of summer but that's about it. They would be better off with a route like Bergamo or Girona to be honest!

Or Barcelona, I'd say you could even manage a year round BCN route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Memmingen should bring in a good few people hopefully, ze Germans quite like Ireland. It's actually a bit bewildering it's not going in winter, because quite a lot of people might go over to Bavaria skiing and going to the Christmas markets. It's a route I have high hopes for and not only because Shannon is 20 minutes from my house and Memmingen 20 minutes from my mother's house. :D;)
    Alas I still always find myself flying from Dublin, because either there is no flights, or the schedule doesn't suit or the flights are hugely expensive and driving up to Dublin and paying for a weeks parking is still cheaper. Which is a bit of a joke. But in the end it's not about me, so we have to see how things develop. The tourist boards on either end should start to aggressively push that route, it's not Ryanair's job to do that. They give you the route and what you do with it is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Can't understand the reasoning behind this claim. Mr Martin does not explain his points, he just makes a blatant claim and then rambles on about Cork airport.
    Well Kevin Toland, chief executive of DAA said some 2.14 million passengers passed through Cork airport in 2014, a fall of 5 per cent from 2.26 million passengers in 2013, due in large part to a number of its central European routes being transferred to Shannon airport (Irish Times).

Then “Approximately 100,000 passengers were going through Cork and they are now going to Shannon because of the deals that can be offered. That is what DAA officials are saying behind the scenes,” Micheál Martin said. (Irish Examiner)

However if we look at the 2014 central European CSO figures for Cork and Shannon, it shows that Cork did lose 102,000 passengers but Shannon only gained 55,000.

So I wonder where did the other 47,000 central European passengers from Cork go to? To Dublin perhaps?

In fairness to Cork, the sooner they are out of the control of the DAA, the better off they will be.

In my opinion the real villain is Michael O’Leary as he has been trying for years to extract a better deal from the DAA on charges, particularly in Dublin.

As long as the DAA has a lion’s share of the Irish market they won’t budge.

So O’Leary targets the smaller airports in the group i.e. Shannon in the past and Cork now, in order to indirectly pressurise the DAA.

347145.png

Well they might not nessecarily all be flying to Poland etc, you probably have Corkonians flying SNN Berlin, Nice etc

• Advertisement

Passengers flying to Berlin would not have affected the Cork figures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Memmingen should bring in a good few people hopefully, ze Germans quite like Ireland. It's actually a bit bewildering it's not going in winter, because quite a lot of people might go over to Bavaria skiing and going to the Christmas markets. It's a route I have high hopes for and not only because Shannon is 20 minutes from my house and Memmingen 20 minutes from my mother's house. :D;)
    Alas I still always find myself flying from Dublin, because either there is no flights, or the schedule doesn't suit or the flights are hugely expensive and driving up to Dublin and paying for a weeks parking is still cheaper. Which is a bit of a joke. But in the end it's not about me, so we have to see how things develop. The tourist boards on either end should start to aggressively push that route, it's not Ryanair's job to do that. They give you the route and what you do with it is your problem.

DUB just about supports a 1 weekly Memmingen service so I think that says a lot as to why it's not a winter route.
    Well Kevin Toland, chief executive of DAA said some 2.14 million passengers passed through Cork airport in 2014, a fall of 5 per cent from 2.26 million passengers in 2013, due in large part to a number of its central European routes being transferred to Shannon airport (Irish Times).

Then “Approximately 100,000 passengers were going through Cork and they are now going to Shannon because of the deals that can be offered. That is what DAA officials are saying behind the scenes,” Micheál Martin said. (Irish Examiner)

However if we look at the 2014 central European CSO figures for Cork and Shannon, it shows that Cork did lose 102,000 passengers but Shannon only gained 55,000.

So I wonder where did the other 47,000 central European passengers from Cork go to? To Dublin perhaps?

In fairness to Cork, the sooner they are out of the control of the DAA, the better off they will be.

In my opinion the real villain is Michael O’Leary as he has been trying for years to extract a better deal from the DAA on charges, particularly in Dublin.

As long as the DAA has a lion’s share of the Irish market they won’t budge.

So O’Leary targets the smaller airports in the group i.e. Shannon in the past and Cork now, in order to indirectly pressurise the DAA.

I think he was saying the majority but I think if you look at what the likes of extra bucket and spade routes gained form SNN you may make up the other 50k. You are right about O'Leary however SNN have fallen for it. Would love to see how long the contract he has is for!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    . . . Munich had lows of 33%/37% in the last few weeks.
    This summer route only restarted 4 weeks ago, what statistical (33%/37%) source are you quoting here?

Yes it would be interesting to see a full breakdown. However if, as suggested in today's newspaper article, this €38m (rental income) is being diverted towards the airport annually it is dishonest to suggest that it is not being taken from the public purse to facilitate the airport. Whether it is rental income or anything else it is public taxpayer money which could surely be put to better use elsewhere.
    Shannon Commercial Properties’ operating profit from continuing activities and before impairments for the full financial year 2014 amounted to €0.6 million versus a loss of €1.6 million in 2013.

The Annual Report & Accounts 2014 for the Shannon Group can be seen here.

This summer route only restarted 4 weeks ago, what statistical (33%/37%) source are you quoting here?

Yes, very poor start for a route, it April, you may expect those number in January/February. As for the source can't disclose publicly but they are accurate. The CSO stats for the month will show the low % being carried to.

• Advertisement

As for the source can't disclose publicly but they are accurate. The CSO stats for the month will show the low % being carried to.
    Fair enough, the CSO will need 3-4 months before publishing the April figures.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Not only is it not a bailout it's not a bailout from the taxpayer! You can stop peddling that line now! We're all tired of it :mad:

I think we all know shannon group is much bigger than just the airport facilities but some try pretend its going directly to SNN only, maybe ignorance or lack of understanding I dont know but its a ridiculous post to make.

I see the 2014 report has been released. Some interesting points
    http://www.shannongroup.ie/wp-content/uploads/Final-Shannon-Group-AR_V6-Mon-27th-April-2015.pdf
    Although State owned, the Group is funded exclusively through its own resources and receives no income from the Exchequer. The Group has cash reserves to meet its operating and recurring capital expenditure needs. The cash position
    of the Group at 31 December 2014 was €28 million.
    The profitability of the airport has also improved considerably in 2014 with earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and
    amortisation (EBITDA) of €4.6 million, an increase of 34 % on 2013. This increase in profit was achieved in part through passenger growth and new routes but also by managing improved cost efficiencies.

Shannon Commercial Properties who have the contraversial rent roll...
    Operating profit from continuing activities and before impairments in 2014 amounted to €0.6 million versus a loss of
    €1.6 million in 2013. The Company continued to invest in its properties in 2014 with capital expenditure of €2.4 million. Among projects undertaken...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mayomaffia banned for trolling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've done a lot of cleaning up on this tread, if you have a problem with a post, REPORT IT, don't respond to it.

We had two Antonov AN124-100 Ruslan visiting over the last two days, belong to Volga Dnepr they are the 2nd heaviest lifting aircraft in operation, beautiful aircraft and all ways great to see. Volga Dnepr even had a base at SNN in the 90s.

Anyone know whether Shannon Airport will be holding a 5km run again this summer?

Anyone know whether Shannon Airport will be holding a 5km run again this summer?

Of course!!! Sure they need the runners to boost their pax numbers to justify the 38m monthly handouts! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Yup 19th of June I believe..!

imurdaddy wrote: »
    We had two Antonov AN124-100 Ruslan visiting over the last two days, belong to Volga Dnepr they are the 2nd heaviest lifting aircraft in operation, beautiful aircraft and all ways great to see. Volga Dnepr even had a base at SNN in the 90s.
    I posted this before link, for those who did not see here it is again.

Five big An124's on the ground at Shannon - the front pair exchanging cargo during a maintenance changeover. (Malcom Nason) :cool:

• Advertisement

imurdaddy banned for trolling.

Ok folks, this may surprise you, but myself and the other mods have far better things to do that deal with cr@p on here, we also don't go out of the way to censor or annoy people, we are simply here to try to help facilitate conversation and debate, if anyone decides to try to derail that we have no option but to act.

This is the second Shannon Airport thread, and it is by far the most popular single thread in the Mid West, 99.999% of posting has been brilliant but some people are hell bent on derailing or trolling the debate, any such actions will result in a ban from the Clare forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I posted this before link, for those who did not see here it is again.

Five big An124's on the ground at Shannon - the front pair exchanging cargo during a maintenance changeover. (Malcom Nason) :cool:

I always miss the drama in here lol.

Anyway that's crazy to see so many on the ground at once.

Have Delta resumed slightly earlier this year or same as last year?

Have Delta resumed slightly earlier this year or same as last year?

About 2/3 weeks early this year.
    American Airlines also start earlier this year, they start in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

About 2/3 weeks early this year.
    American Airlines also start earlier this year, they start in a week.

But no posts on Facebook or Twitter about it. Do they realise that its very advertising? Too busy promoting the Ryanair's four euro flights to Manchester. They have a very poor social media presence..

Airbus330 wrote: »
    But no posts on Facebook or Twitter about it. Do they realise that its very advertising? Too busy promoting the Ryanair's four euro flights to Manchester. They have a very poor social media presence..

I agree to an extent. They really should be advertising it, maybe offering a competition to win a flight.

Looking around, Friends of Shannon Airport (The new official page for FOSA) have a piece on the delta resumption, as well as the resumption of flights to Majorca with Falcon.

They also answer another of my questions, the 5k run will take place on the 19th of June. 2000places available.

According to FlightRadar24, Cubana flight CU471 from Madrid to Havana diverted to Shannon.

This looks more like a stopover than a diversion.

Their social media is dreadful. I'd manage it for them if they'd Like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

According to FlightRadar24, Cubana flight CU471 from Madrid to Havana diverted to Shannon.

This looks more like a stopover than a diversion.

Diversion. Tech issue.... :/ that's now a stopover

Advertisement