Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Jhcx wrote: »
    Diversion. Tech issue.... :/ that's now a stopover

Interesting goings on with the Cubana/Euroatlantic 767.

Found this blog (in spanish but google chrome badly translates) written by some passengers who have been stuck there http://atriopress.blogspot.ie/2015/05/desolacion-cubana-en-un-paraiso-irlandes.html

Airport fed them apparently, no hotel was organised. It landed About 6pm yesterday and looks to leave in an hour for Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Hundreds of passengers stranded at Shannon after Cuba flight diversion (The Journal)

A lot of angry people to be heard on the youtube clip.

**** Update ****

If I understand NewsTalk correctly, then it was a planned refuel stop where a technical difficult emerged with one of the plane's tyres during refuelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interesting goings on with the Cubana/Euroatlantic 767.

Found this blog (in spanish but google chrome badly translates) written by some passengers who have been stuck there http://atriopress.blogspot.ie/2015/05/desolacion-cubana-en-un-paraiso-irlandes.html

Airport fed them apparently, no hotel was organised. It landed About 6pm yesterday and looks to leave in an hour for Havana

They were full of praise of Ireland anyway.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/air-cargo-service-to-take-off/

To clarify confusion, the cargo service from Shannon to Chicago started Friday, any stops before that were only refueling.

One of the Spanish/Cubans on the diverted Cubana flight posted on the Shannon Airport page that the flight was in fact hijacked.

Could also be bad English on behalf of the diverted passenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Carnacalla wrote: »
    One of the Spanish/Cubans on the diverted Cubana flight posted on the Shannon Airport page that the flight was in fact hijacked.

Could also be bad English on behalf of the diverted passenger.

That would be very un true . Was a divert for a tech issue. Took off. And landed again under "tech issue" I put those in commas cause it's all very sketchy. due to riverfest all hotels were booked up and only a handful of rooms. its a 10 hr flight to Cuba from here and one Hour to Madrid Flight origin. you would feel for the pax who were stranded all night in the terminal and late into today.

just wanted to clear that before it becomes a mad mess about Shannon stopovers... Again lol

What's the story with the Visa issue? Did the Cubans have to say in the airport no matter what due to them not have visas for Ireland? Suppose that would be the reason for no Accommodation.

What's the story with the Visa issue? Did the Cubans have to say in the airport no matter what due to them not have visas for Ireland? Suppose that would be the reason for no Accommodation.

Apparently law is any aircraft that originated in European airport doesn't need to to clear security or immigration. If in transit. those who left would probably have to have the correct visas I'm sure

A busy day yesterday, must've been nigh on 60 or 70 movements

I find Sunday is the busiest in terms of commercial movements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

AC1903 has diverted to Dublin while SNN was closer because of a medical emergency.

Now I don't want to start a row about it but just pointing out the fact while SNN is impotent it's not critical.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    AC1903 has diverted to Dublin while SNN was closer because of a medical emergency.

Now I don't want to start a row about it but just pointing out the fact while SNN is impotent it's not critical.

Shannon may have been too close, the plane would have had to done quite a looping to drop the altitude necessary for Shannon.

Was thinking so myself, Air Canada/rouge tend to divert to DUB as a rule perhaps because of their existing operation there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

On a side note, does anyone know why there is an air canada rouge 767 parked at Shannon? My guess is that is was leased but i'm not sure.

Shannon757 wrote: »
    On a side note, does anyone know why there is an air canada rouge 767 parked at Shannon? My guess is that is was leased but i'm not sure.

Is it that Air Canada Rouge that's clearly visible from the Viewing area? My guess is repainting for that one, AC rouge is a new concept by AC.

There's a few interesting ones around Shannon. When I was there recently there was a Spice Jet, and 1 (or 2) Airbus A320 in the colours of the defunct Cyprus Airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Shannon757 wrote: »

I've heard that the lease is up and its awaiting a new owner/operator!

Is it that Air Canada Rouge that's clearly visible from the Viewing area? My guess is repainting for that one, AC rouge is a new concept by AC.

There's a few interesting ones around Shannon. When I was there recently there was a Spice Jet, and 1 (or 2) Airbus A320 in the colours of the defunct Cyprus Airlines

It's been there for at least 4 weeks now and is now in the middle of the airfield.
    It's not Canadian registered I think.

Shannon does get an interesting mix alright. I got a few pics of Dermot Desmond's Falcon 7x today if anyones interested.

Not 100% but the Rouge is ex Kenya Airways I think, one of the many that arrived to Shannon a few months back. Should be leaving for Rouge soon!

Not 100% but the Rouge is ex Kenya Airways I think, one of the many that arrived to Shannon a few months back. Should be leaving for Rouge soon!

I think it was a 5Y prefix so it very well could be but how come they don't just take it instead of having it sitting idle?

So, does anyone think the routes promised* by FR will materialise in September?

• Advertisement

So, does anyone think the routes promised* by FR will materialise in September?

Not sure really. Though it would be good, it would be nice to see someone else put in routes that are needed..can't imagine a Copenhagen or Bratislava doing very well! Hardly be high frequency anyway

Barcelona would be great (El Prat NOT Girona :P)

Besides Ryanair, who could realistically introduce more routes into Shannon?

Besides Ryanair, who could realistically introduce more routes into Shannon?

Stobart make some sort of comeback I suppose..I don't know there is a whole load of airlines out there..presume there is constant negotiations going on though

Wonder would Stobart ever venture outside of the UK on year around scheduled services..to Amsterdam, Paris etc. wishful thinking I know just wondering does anyone think they'd ever consider it?

No delta flight today?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭knockon

Delta not daily until May 11th - 6 days except Tuesday until then.

I agree it defies logic, was the medical emergency not life threatening enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I agree it defies logic, was the medical emergency not life threatening enough?

Without knowing any facts its hard understand logic. If they needed to dump or burn fuel, then Dublin would be just as suitable as Shannon . What was the weather/wind at the time? Maybe conditions at Dublin were more suitable. What was the medical condition? Dublin would be better equipped for certain emergencies. Air Canada already operate from Dublin making it a more suitable alternate in this case. Given their profile in relation to SNN/DUB a decent into Dublin would have taken no longer than SNN.
    Its not always a case of get your ass on the ground at all costs unless of course its on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Without knowing any facts its hard understand logic. If they needed to dump or burn fuel, then Dublin would be just as suitable as Shannon . What was the weather/wind at the time? Maybe conditions at Dublin were more suitable. What was the medical condition? Dublin would be better equipped for certain emergencies. Air Canada already operate from Dublin making it a more suitable alternate in this case. Given their profile in relation to SNN/DUB a decent into Dublin would have taken no longer than SNN.
    Its not always a case of get your ass on the ground at all costs unless of course its on fire.

Was there a Doctor on board? Did he consult with the Captain? Did they discuss this over the radio and make the decision that way? In the whole story, there are a lot of what ifs. Unless we were there, we may never know.

Aer Lingus passenger numbers drop over 5% in April (RTE)

Apparently, the Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart Air) passenger numbers for April have fallen by 10.7% to 100,000 from 112,000 the same time last year.

The drop roughly equals the number they flew from Shannon last year (13,641 passengers).

Curious to see how Shannon to Heathrow, Boston and New York fared out.

• Advertisement

Apparently, the Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart Air) passenger numbers for April have fallen by 10.7% to 100,000 from 112,000 the same time last year.

The drop roughly equals the number they flew from Shannon last year (13,641 passengers).

Curious to see how Shannon to Heathrow, Boston and New York fared out.

Tbh i wouldn't be overall surprised. a simple observation shows management have no interest in anything with the airline at Shannon. merely just keeping up appearances now at this stage. now I'm only judging as a passenger. Id say the loss of stobart really hit them at Shannon. and know a handful of people upset that they were diverted to transit through Dublin and by bus/train to reach Munster making it an inconvenience. Does anybody know if Edinburgh is coming back?

Advertisement