Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Clareman wrote: »
    Great article on the beeb website about Shannon Airport http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27040076
    Additionally one can tune into it on the radio. :cool:
    Shannon Airport to feature in BBC documentary (Clare Herald)

The programme will be aired this evening (Saturday 19th) on BBC Radio 4 at 8.00pm.

I missed it last night but listened it to this morning.

Really good radio, the broadcast is available for a week. (BBC Radio 4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Quote:

GCU Flexible Demeanour

Absolutely. I sent the following to their press relations person
    Quote:
    I got your email address from the IAA website. This is not a media query - I'm just a member of the public - but I was hoping you might be able to route this question to someone who might be able to answer it.
    I've read material relating to Shannon Airport, which suggests it has some kind of special status as an emergency diversion airport. I haven't been able to find anything that confirms or provides a basis for this statement (in fact, I came across a statement from Minister Varadkar where he seemed to dismiss the idea that Shannon has any official status in this respect.)

Could you confirm if Shannon Airport has any formal agreement with the IAA (or any other authority), which requires it to provide a 24/7/365 level of service, consequent on any obligation to provide for emergency landings?

I have browsed your website, which is very informative, but I can't find anything which answers this question.
    That was sent a couple of months ago, so I'm not expecting a reply. I haven't sent a reminder as I expect they are either the kind of people who respect the need for public bodies to answer queries from ordinary citizens, or they aren't.
    Why do you not expect a reply?

There are 2 people listed as media contacts.

Seems very strange that they did not even acknowledge your query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just read on Clare Fm that Shannon parish has issued 5000 'fly shannon airport, st John Paul did' bumper stickers. It really makes me want to double facepalm. Lets hope there's a better marketing strategy in place:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Why do you not expect a reply?

There are 2 people listed as media contacts.

Seems very strange that they did not even acknowledge your query.
    Strangely enough, I just happened to raise the Problem of Induction on another thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90065677&postcount=46

Rationally, there is no reason to believe the future will resemble past experience. Nevertheless, the fact that I've received no reply after a couple of months leads me to believe that I won't receive a reply in the future.

• Advertisement

I just read on Clare Fm that Shannon parish has issued 5000 'fly shannon airport, st John Paul did' bumper stickers. It really makes me want to double facepalm. Lets hope there's a better marketing strategy in place:)
    I’m sure my dear devotional mother has already got one for my car. :D

Will it boast the number of chartered pilgrimage flights to Rome from Shannon for his canonisation?

They should print another 10.000 in Polish too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They should print another 10.000 in Polish too!

Double it.

On another (strange) note, I noticed that each Aer Lingus flight to London Heathrow has 2 listings in arrivals and departures, each with a different flight number.

Lets take the early afternoon arrival from LHR.

First listing:
    London Heathrow Aer Lingus AC6917 25/04 12:30

Second.
    London Heathrow Aer Lingus EI381 25/04 12:30

When you look up AC6917 in google,it comes up as Air Canada Flight 6917.
    Strange isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Double it.

On another (strange) note, I noticed that each Aer Lingus flight to London Heathrow has 2 listings in arrivals and departures, each with a different flight number.

First listing:

Second.

Strange isn't it?

It's a codeshare with Air Canada to feed each others network.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Double it.

First listing:

Second.

Strange isn't it?

That's a common thing with a lot of airports. For example in cork, flights to Manchester this evening are code sharing with Etihad, whilst the flight from heathrow is a codeshare with British airways.

If you were to book an air Canada flight from, say, Toronto to Shannon, it would probably go Toronto-Heathrow-Shannon, with both flights using an Air Canada flight number. However, usually in small writing, on the ticket details it will say the flight is operated by Aer Lingus from heathrow to Shannon and MAY give the Aer Lingus flight number. To avoid any confusion, some airports put up any flight number that may be used, so travellers won't miss their flights.

In the states, it's common to see 4/5 flights on the arrivals/departures board all codesharing on only 1 flight.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for February are now complete as there were no figures for Stansted available until this week.

Overall total UK figures remain constant as against the same month from last year but significant falls at Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh.

304474.png

• Advertisement

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for March are also available now.

The overall total UK figures are down -11.7% as against the same month from last year which must be very disappointing for Shannon’s management.

If I did my sums right then the March UK figures have downward trend.
    • 2014-March (48,533)
    • 2013-March (54,988)
    • 2012-March (59,333)
    • 2011-March (57,081)
    304475.png

I think you'll need to wait for end April, which includes Easter this year, before drawing any firm conclusions.

I think you'll need to wait for end April, which includes Easter this year, before drawing any firm conclusions.

I agree, passenger numbers were down everywhere in ireland and uk this year in march, due to easter in april.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I agree, passenger numbers were down everywhere in ireland and uk this year in march, due to easter in april.

Loosing over 11% on one market is not just because of Easter. Passenger numbers were marginally down in the region of 1% at many airports.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Loosing over 11% on one market is not just because of Easter. Passenger numbers were marginally down in the region of 1% at many airports.

I seriously doubt that easter has a 1% effect on passenger numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I seriously doubt that easter has a 1% effect on passenger numbers.

I would imagine that holidays would have a massive impact on holiday numbers, 1% of the UK traffic would be just 550 people, that's 1 extra full flight, with the amount of people on holidays as well as other events that might be on I would imagine a couple of thousand people would take advantage of the holidays around Easter, just have a look at the traffic around this week with the schools off, not all those people are sitting at home

Clareman wrote: »
    I would imagine that holidays would have a massive impact on holiday numbers, 1% of the UK traffic would be just 550 people, that's 1 extra full flight, with the amount of people on holidays as well as other events that might be on I would imagine a couple of thousand people would take advantage of the holidays around Easter, just have a look at the traffic around this week with the schools off, not all those people are sitting at home

Thats what i intended to say

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I'd say wait for the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for March are also available now.

The overall total UK figures are down -11.7% as against the same month from last year which must be very disappointing for Shannon’s management.

If I did my sums right then the March UK figures have downward trend.
    • 2014-March (48,533)
    • 2013-March (54,988)
    • 2012-March (59,333)
    • 2011-March (57,081)
    304475.png

Could numbers be skewed by something like a big Munster match, or other event, Ireland played once in the uk this year or example, but twice last season?

relaxed wrote: »
    Could numbers be skewed by something like a big Munster match, or other event, Ireland played once in the uk this year or example, but twice last season?

Would have imagined that the 3000 or so pax less on heathrow route are to do with the smaller aircraft (a320va319) and Ryanair do 6 flights a week to gat wick now compared to 7 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Would have imagined that the 3000 or so pax less on heathrow route are to do with the smaller aircraft (a320va319) and Ryanair do 6 flights a week to gat wick now compared to 7 last year.

Indeed that is largely the cause- LGW was down to 5 a week, Aer Arann was down an ATR42 so it all adds up.

Indeed that is largely the cause- LGW was down to 5 a week, Aer Arann was down an ATR42 so it all adds up.

Isnt it 7 a week during the summer?

Isnt it 7 a week during the summer?

It may be a daily service during the summer season, but we are comparing this march to last march, ie winter schedule

Any idea what omni air do at shannon.
    A 767 just flew over my house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Any idea what omni air do at shannon.
    A 767 just flew over my house

Troops, isn't it?

Troops, isn't it?

Think so. Never confirmed. I noticed it because it was a rather large plane flying so low.

An 777 Omni just left shannon.

On other news Jet2 flew a 757 from shannon to marseille along with 2 737's.
    I never knew they were using a 757.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Think so. Never confirmed. I noticed it because it was a rather large plane flying so low.

Never confirmed? Anyone who's transited the airport when one is in will have seen hundreds of US troops in the departures lounge. They're in regurlarly and have been for years.

Clare Aviation Companies vie for Awards (Clare Champion)

Twenty-two Clare base companies including Eirtech Aviation, Shannon Aerospace and Shannon Airport Authority, have been short listed for the inaugural Aviation Industry Awards, sponsored by the Irish Aviation Authority.

See also website Aviation Industry Awards June 10th 2014.

• Advertisement

Never confirmed? Anyone who's transited the airport when one is in will have seen hundreds of US troops in the departures lounge. They're in regurlarly and have been for years.

Why do the troops get off at shannon?

Advertisement