Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why do the troops get off at shannon?

They're travelling from the US to Afganistan or vice versa. The plane needs to refuel, so the troops get off, stretch their legs, get something to eat and reboard. (They're not armed BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

(They're not armed BTW).
    How do they eat then?

Okay jokes aside, where are their ammunition? Kept in the plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Okay jokes aside, where are their ammunition? Kept in the plane?
    No-one can bring arms into the State without the permission of the Minister for Defence. As an aside, this was the pivotal issue in the Arms Trial; the issue was whether Jim Gibbons, the Minister for Defence, knew that arms were being brought in to supply to nationalists in Northern Ireland.

In the case of US troops, there has been past coverage of permissions given to transport munitions.

http://www.thejournal.ie/over-1100-planes-carrying-arms-landed-at-shannon-airport-last-year-335801-Jan2012/

IIRC, there was controversy a few years ago about flights not obtaining the necessary permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Man dies as jet diverted to Shannon after two passengers suffer heart attacks (Independent)

Alitalia flight AZ-610 was about 100 kilometres west of Co Clare airport (29th April) when the crew declared an emergency and diverted to Shannon.

The flight was on route from Rome to New York at the time. Paramedics and a doctor were standing by on the ground for the flight when it touched down just after 5.30pm this evening.

The deceased man, believed to be in his 70's, was pronounced dead at the scene. The second passenger was taken to University Hospital Limerick for treatment but is reported to be in a stable condition.

That's sad news!

US military plane in fuel leak emergency
    (Clare Herald)

A US military transport plane made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport yesterday (24th April) after the crew reported they had suffered a fuel leak over the Atlantic.

The flight was about 300 kilometres west of Ireland over the Atlantic when the crew declared an emergency and requested permission to land at Shannon.

The airport’s emergency plan was put into action with the local authority fire brigade from Shannon Town and Ennis along with the HSE ambulance service being alerted also.

Three units of the fire service from Shannon were sent to the airport while two further vehicles from Ennis were mobilised to a designated holding point close to the M18 motorway at Dromoland.

When asked by controllers, the crew confirmed they had no hazardous material on board their aircraft.

The flight touched down safely at 4.53pm and was quickly pursued along the runway by crash crews who remained with the aircraft until after it had parked on a remote taxiway.

shannon-emergency-2.gif?w=1496&h=1028

They definitely took no chances by designating two two further vehicles at a holding point close to the M18 motorway at Dromoland!

Man dies as jet diverted to Shannon after two passengers suffer heart attacks (Independent)

Alitalia flight AZ-610 was about 100 kilometres west of Co Clare airport (29th April) when the crew declared an emergency and diverted to Shannon.

The flight was on route from Rome to New York at the time. Paramedics and a doctor were standing by on the ground for the flight when it touched down just after 5.30pm this evening.

The deceased man, believed to be in his 70's, was pronounced dead at the scene. The second passenger was taken to University Hospital Limerick for treatment but is reported to be in a stable condition.

That's sad news!

US military plane in fuel leak emergency
    (Clare Herald)

A US military transport plane made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport yesterday (24th April) after the crew reported they had suffered a fuel leak over the Atlantic.

The flight was about 300 kilometres west of Ireland over the Atlantic when the crew declared an emergency and requested permission to land at Shannon.

The airport’s emergency plan was put into action with the local authority fire brigade from Shannon Town and Ennis along with the HSE ambulance service being alerted also.

Three units of the fire service from Shannon were sent to the airport while two further vehicles from Ennis were mobilised to a designated holding point close to the M18 motorway at Dromoland.

When asked by controllers, the crew confirmed they had no hazardous material on board their aircraft.

The flight touched down safely at 4.53pm and was quickly pursued along the runway by crash crews who remained with the aircraft until after it had parked on a remote taxiway.

shannon-emergency-2.gif?w=1496&h=1028

They definitely took no chances by designating two two further vehicles at a holding point close to the M18 motorway at Dromoland!

Dromoland is about halfway from ennis to shannon, right?

• Advertisement

Dromoland is about halfway from ennis to shannon, right?

That's right! :)

That's right! :)

Hehe, considering i live in clare, it would be terrible if i didnt know dat.

Varadkar & Howlin sign contract for M17/M18 Gort-Tuam PPP Project (Department of Transport)

Minister Varadkar said, when completed, this new motorway will reduce journey times between Limerick and Galway, allowing the two cities to work together economically, and supporting further investment and jobs. It will also reduce journey times from Galway to Shannon Airport, boosting the airport's growth prospects.

Good infrastructural news for the airport’s catchment area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Varadkar & Howlin sign contract for M17/M18 Gort-Tuam PPP Project (Department of Transport)

Minister Varadkar said, when completed, this new motorway will reduce journey times between Limerick and Galway, allowing the two cities to work together economically, and supporting further investment and jobs. It will also reduce journey times from Galway to Shannon Airport, boosting the airport's growth prospects.

Good infrastructural news for the airport’s catchment area. :)

It won't make a blind bit of difference to SNN, great PR though!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It won't make a blind bit of difference to SNN, great PR though!

Yeah it will, it makes shannon easier to access from the further high west.

• Advertisement

It will also make NOC much more attractive from Clare and Galway to. The M7 hasn't benefited SNN so this will have minimal effect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bullseye500

This.It will be great for Shannon.

It will also make NOC much more attractive from Clare and Galway to. The M7 hasn't benefited SNN so this will have minimal effect to.

It wont. Knock doesn't have that many routes. People generally go to the easiest and nearest airport. Noc dosnt have LHR, The us, some european destinations and few charter destinations. Their is a €10 development fee at knock. It has more expensive car parking. And finally no motorway nearby.

It wont. Knock dosnt have that many routes. People generally go to the easiest and nearest airport. Noc dosnt have LHR, The us, some european destinations and fe charter destinations. Their is a €10 development fee at knock. It has more expensive car parking. And finally no motorway nearby.

SNN has not got many either. Exactly easiest and nearest airport who is to say people in Galway don't think NOC better than SNN.

4 years before its completed anyway so no real affect short term.

Dublin will always win with people from Galway city, especially with the excellent bus service.

SNN has not got many either. Exactly easiest and nearest airport who is to say people in Galway don't think NOC better than SNN.

4 years before its completed anyway so no real affect short term.

Dublin will always win with people from Galway city, especially with the excellent bus service.

I completely disagree.
    Snn has got the us, berlin, 3 polish routes and several summer american services. Who the **** wants to sit on a bus for 3 hours to go into an extremely busy airport and sit for 3 more hours on a plane?

Sure, Dublin is also a choice from galway and I am in absolutely that several people will use it, but they will also use shannon. If I am going to london and I live in galway city and I want to go cheap.

London Return from knock. €54 Carpark €18
    London return from snn €44 Carpark €19

Knock airport 1hr 16min from galway city.
    Shannon airport 1hr 6mins from galway city.
    No fuel difference but better road on shannon.

Bus eireann
    €21.85 to shannon
    €21.35 to knock.

The knock flight includes a €10 development fee.
    Knock airports latest arriving flight is 17:30, which is not ideal, because you cant do much that day, a 21:45 from shannon is better.

No wanting to get off topic but Galway to Dublin is not 3h, 2h30 at most with a 24/7 to meet all flights.

They both cater for different markets but just believing that the motorway will be all good for SNN, it won't and NOC will benefit to.

No wanting to get off topic but Galway to Dublin is not 3h, 2h30 at most with a 24/7 to meet all flights.

They both cater for different markets but just believing that the motorway will be all good for SNN, it won't and NOC will benefit to.

I have made great arguments about why shannon will benefit, and it plain Ignorant to wipe them away like that. Read the first page of the form.
    Most people posting here live in or have lived in clare so we have a right to prefer shannon.

Most people I know in galway have never actually flew from knock.

I have made great arguments about why shannon will benefit, and it plain Ignorant to wipe them away like that. Read the first page of the form.

I have not dismissed you points however they don't mean much as the differences as you point out could be viewed as both positive and negative from both airports.

You shouldn't blow your own trumpet either!
    Most people posting here live in or have lived in clare so we have a right to prefer Shannon.

Everybody prefers their airport and believe it or not my preferred airport isn't even in Ireland!
    Most people I know in galway have never actually flew from knock.[/

There is 200,000 of so people in Galway so you don't know many of them. There is lots of people in Limerick who don't even use SNN as with all airport catchment areas.

I have not dismissed you points however they don't mean much as the differences as you point out could be viewed as both positive and negative from both airports.

Everybody prefers their airport and believe it or not my preferred airport isn't even in Ireland!

There is 200,000 of so people in Galway so you don't know many of them. There is lots of people in Limerick who don't even use SNN as with all airport catchment areas.

Look im not arguing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The only airport that has benefited from a motorway so far in this country is Dublin. Express buses all hours of the day and night from most parts of the country. So much so it has become Ireland International Airport

• Advertisement

13890611699_b73809986e_z.jpg

Man due for court in Ennis after alleged air-rage incident on flight (Breaking News)

A man is due in court in Ennis this morning charged in relation to an alleged air rage incident on board a flight diverted to Shannon Airport.

The flight, operated by Condor Airlines, was travelling from Frankfurt in Germany to Holguin in Cuba with 248 passengers and nine crew on board.

The aircraft was around 100 miles west of Ireland when its pilot made the decision to re-route to Shannon after one of the passengers became unruly on board.

A 37-year old man, understood to be a Cuban national living in France, was arrested by Clare gardaí just before 7pm last night, shortly after the plane touched down.

He has been held overnight at Shannon garda station and will appear in court in Ennis this morning.

The flight, with the remaining passengers on board, then left Shannon after 8pm last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There is lots of people in Limerick who don't even use SNN as with all airport catchment areas.

Through a lack of choice of destinations, not because we don't want to fly from Shannon.

Ireland secures hosting of World Medical and Health Games 2015 (Travel and Tour World) :)

Fáilte Ireland and Shannon Convention Bureau have announced that, after a competitive bidding process, the University of Limerick will host the World Medical and Health Games 2015.

The World Medical and Health Games, or “Medigames” as it is more commonly known is week-long competition involving almost 1200-1500 sports enthusiasts from medical professionals, participating in more than 20 sports.

Linda Stevens, Director Conferences and Events University of Limerick, commented on the collaborated effort that went into this bid - “Medigames offers us a fantastic opportunity to showcase the world-class sporting infrastructure we have here at UL’s Conference and Sports Campus.

It was great to see Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau’ working with Failte Ireland to win this event for Limerick. I look forward to seeing further collaboration like this in the future.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hopefully those coming from the states will fill a few seats to Shannon Airport.

This is a nice timely boost for the Sport Tourism Summit at Thomond Park this month.

The long road to Croke Park begins in the Bronx.

Connacht Football Championship opener in New York (New York v Mayo).

I see that the Mayo football team flew out from Shannon Airport yesterday.

Last weekend about 35 youngsters (U12s) from the Garryowen Rugby Club travelled to London to take part in the London Irish 6 Nations Minis Festival (28 clubs from 6 countries).

In all 8 Irish clubs were represented there.

Sporting links with our Exiles has potential for Shannon.

According to the Clare Champion, Donald Trump will be in Shannon next Monday week to make his first visit to his Doonbeg Trump International Golf Links and Hotel.

He should give golf tourism a good shot in the arm here and if I was Rose Hynes, I would definitely try to invite him as a speaker to the Sport Tourism summit in Thomond Park.

Doonbeggolfcourse_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

https://bookings.citylink.ie/default.aspx?pickuplocid=16&dropofflocid=19&tickettypeid=2&depdatetime=2014-5-7%200%3A0&isflexdep=true&retdatetime=2014-5-8%200%3A0&isflexret=true&passangerType1=1

5 out of 20 take 2h30 the rest are 3h €25 return

Claregirl wrote: »

That's true for Dublin Airport to Galway but CityLink have eight 2.5 hour non-stop Galway to Dublin Airport schedules which are very attractive because Dublin has so many early flights and destinations.

What are the bus services like for Galway to Shannon Airport for price, schedules etc.?

I see along side Shannon Airport that Doonbeg is also a partner of this Sport Tourism event (see link).

It starts on May 15th so who knows Donald Trump might turn up yet? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

That's true for Dublin Airport to Galway but CityLink have eight 2.5 hour non-stop Galway to Dublin Airport schedules which are very attractive because Dublin has so many early flights and destinations.

What are the bus services like for Galway to Shannon Airport for price, schedules etc.?

It's still 8 out of approximately 20 so the majority of journeys takes 3hrs I was just correcting the earlier post that stated the journey time was 2.5 hours at most.

Not sure of the bus times etc from Galway to Shannon Airport as I would have no need to use that service link here: http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753025-051.pdf €21 return - depressingly journey time on the bus is almost 2 hours.

I was interested to learn that there was now a 24/7 operation to and from Galway / Dublin Airport if I'd known that earlier it would have saved me a few 7hr return trips to Dublin :( was there a recent increase in buses? Last time I checked the last bus out of Dublin Airport was 10.30 p.m.

It's a catch 22 at the moment for Shannon not enough flights so no point increasing transport services to / from the Airport. I'd like to think that in the future with the completion of the motorway to Galway and with an increase of flights from Shannon it would certainly be a more attractive prospect than travelling to Dublin.

Claregirl wrote: »
    Not sure of the bus times etc from Galway to Shannon Airport as I would have no need to use that service link here: http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753025-051.pdf €21 return - depressingly journey time on the bus is almost 2 hours.

It's a catch 22 at the moment for Shannon not enough flights so no point increasing transport services to / from the Airport. I'd like to think that in the future with the completion of the motorway to Galway and with an increase of flights from Shannon it would certainly be a more attractive prospect than travelling to Dublin.
    I agree and the first bus (51) that arrives at Shannon from Galway is at 08:50.

A direct bus journey between Galway Bus Station and Shannon Airport should only need 1 hour to get there.

This could be achieved by modifying Bus Eireann's (X51) bus route or CityLinks (Galway-Limerick-Cork-Cork Airport) bus route to include Shannon Airport.

Definitely an area that the management of the airport should address.

• Advertisement

Woman dies on flight that diverted to Shannon (Clare Herald)

Thomson Airways flight TOM-375 was enroute from Orlando in Florida to Manchester in England at the time.

The flight was about 100 kilometres west of Mayo at around 6.15am yesterday (2nd May) when the crew declared a medical emergency and requested to divert to the nearest available airport.

Ambulance paramedics and doctor were also waiting at the airport when the Boeing 767-300 jet touched down at 6.45am.

Advertisement