Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Am I correct in thinking the larger numbers at Shannon years ago included US troop movements also? They regularly stopped off there and would have been counted as arriving and departing passengers both eastbound and westbound. 10 years ago during the Ryanair Shannon boom, despite the significant level of Ryanair operations, it was common to see more troops than general passengers in the departure lounge.

I would say the similarity of the 2014, 2015 and the likely 2016 numbers suggest that, after the big gains of the 2000s followed by the big fall off a few years ago, passenger numbers have now finally found their natural levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I would really disagree that 1.7mil is their natural levels. There's alot of growth to be had.

One place that Shannon lost out on is connecting pax. When Stobart were around they connected pax through Shannon and it was actually said to be quite popular. With the return of the EDI service we have connecting pax back on the JFK service, but nothing compared to before. I think this should be an area of focus for the airport, rather than the LCC jumping.

Ryanair have probably met their sustainable Shannon medium at the moment, and hopefully they will stick around at their current levels, they seem to jump ship a little slower as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Dec UK numbers

LGW 7707
    LHR 18886 (+15%)
    STN tbc
    MAN 7760
    BHX 2514

Total 2015 UK is around 700k. As December STN figure unavailable, I used the Nov figure.

375154.PNG

The Heathrow recovery has really been promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »

Wonder if UTV's figures exclude the 368 transit passengers (surly not as it's usually around 100,000 in recent years) or is it excluding private traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Anyone know is it normal for the LHR route to run only twice a day at this time of year on certain days?

Deagol wrote: »
    Anyone know is it normal for the LHR route to run only twice a day at this time of year on certain days?

Yep, for JAN and FEB services from SNN, ORK and DUB are reduced due to lack of demand.

Thats a nuisance, I fly to ABZ via LHR quite a lot, though usually more often in summer / autumn and the lunch flight is great to get me to ABZ in time for a late dinner. Now I'm going to be there either silly early or too late for dinner :(

The lunchtime flight is missing on Tuesdays and Wednesdays until Feb 7- another 3 weeks. Fair play to you for flying from Shannon rather than just driving to Dublin too!

• Advertisement

Looks very expensive, what fares would you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

How exactly is that extra? It ran last year didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

I could be wrong, but did it not only run for July and August last year, with June extra thus year?

I could be wrong, but did it not only run for July and August last year, with June extra thus year?

Nope running exact same period, ran from June 8th last year.

Looks very expensive, what fares would you pay?

Is that question in regards to my post? It's not clear to me :confused:

Deagol wrote: »
    Is that question in regards to my post? It's not clear to me :confused:

Yeah it is.

Looking at the options of SNN-LHR-ABZ it looks almost too pricey to be true, (could be some sort of site error) so what prices would you pay?

I know. Wonder will it be the Omni 767 again?

Airbus330 wrote: »
    I know. Wonder will it be the Omni 767 again?

Yep, on the Aer Lingus site.

Some service improvements as far as I know

Yeah it is.

Looking at the options of SNN-LHR-ABZ it looks almost too pricey to be true, (could be some sort of site error) so what prices would you pay?

I used to pay c.1600 euro for a flexible but since the IAG buyout of EI the price has miraculously changed to €710. I haven't found out yet if the terms have changed though, impossible to understand them from the corporate travel site!

• Advertisement

Seems the airport published the rather desperate Press Release of the extra 6000 seats for Summer. In the press release Neil does acknowledge that its returning, but the damage is already done.

We don't need the Shannon Airport PR team taking a Daily Mail approach thank you.

Anyway, besides that the 767 looks to have an improved service this year.

Each flight looks to have
    *An Aer Lingus Ambassador
    *Improved In-flight entertainment
    *30inch seat pitch (A330 seat pitch is "31" to"32")
    *Each seat has a USB outlet.
    *Far better livery

As posted by highlydebased in another thread, here is a page on the Aer Lingus website with info on it : www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/aer-lingus-news/boeing767-features-benefits/

UA24 cancelled for today and being held over to tomorrow owing to Storm Jonas

UA24 cancelled for today and being held over to tomorrow owing to Storm Jonas

I'm in NYC at the moment and fair crazy!! Dosent seem to be anything coming in or out of LaGuardia or JFK either. EI is on route to Bos though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Transatlantic jet makes emergency landing at Shannon amid bomb threat (independent)

Turkish Airlines flight TK-34 departed Houston, Texas at 9.07pm local time on Saturday (4.07am Irish time Sunday) and was due in Istanbul, Turkey at around 3.45pm Irish time.

There were 227 passengers and crew on board the Boeing 777-300 jet.

It's understood that the crew became aware of the bomb threat after a written note was discovered on board. The crew informed their operations centre who in turn alerted authorities in Ireland.

Units of the local authority fire service from Shannon and Ennis were sent to the airport as back up to the airport's own fire and rescue service. Ambulances from Ennis and Limerick were also mobilised along with Gardaí.

The Irish Coast Guard was also alerted to the incident and placed the RNLI lifeboat based at Kilrush on standby until the flight had safely crossed the west coast.

The crew issued a Pan-Pan distressed call and requested permission to dump fuel over the Atlantic to ensure they touched down within safe landing weight levels.

The flight landed safely at around 11.02am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for info. Brennans Row. I have to check in for flight to London in about an hour and wondered if there might be any delays due to this incident. I'll contact Aer Lingus

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf95/922.pdf

Asl Airlines France apply for FAOC to operate CDG-SNN-PVD (Providence, Rhode Island).

This would mean the promised Rhode Island route, and ontop of that Paris CDG! (Although probably at something silly like 1pw)

Shannon received the following diversions from Dublin and Cork today due to strong winds.

EI3801 (BHX-ORK) ATR72-600
    UA23 (EWR-DUB) B757-200
    AA722 (PHL-DUB) B757-200
    EI155 (LHR-DUB) A320-200
    EI605 (AMS-DUB) A320-200
    FR9429 (BGY-DUB) B737-800
    FR1965 (EIN-DUB) B737-800
    FR7033 (FAO-DUB) B737-800

8 diversions today.

This day week ago 19/01/16
    FR805 (STN-NOC) also diverted to Shannon due to FOG. Never posted due to the site being down.

With LS518, DL194, TK34 and the above, I count 12 diversions so far this year for Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Out of curiosity:

There have been 89 posts in this forum in the last 3 years headed by or containing the words "Common Diversion Airport".

All but two of them (well, three now!) have been by the same poster.

So can I ask Brennan's Row: What is your obsession with recording every flight that diverts to SNN?

And can I ask other posters: Are you interested in this information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Out of curiosity:

There have been 89 posts in this forum in the last 3 years headed by or containing the words "Common Diversion Airport".

All but two of them (well, three now!) have been by the same poster.

So can I ask Brennan's Row: What is your obsession with recording every flight that diverts to SNN?

And can I ask other posters: Are you interested in this information?

Advertisement