Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

'Disruptive' passenger forces Tenerife-bound flight to divert to Shannon Airport (Independent)

I hope they have to pay for this to teach others a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Clareman wrote: »
    I would have liked to have thoughts that at least 50% of the people using the service would be from the US :D

Have no figures but strongly suspect its likely closer to 70% US based passengers given the seasonality of the market at SNN.

Its got to be at least 60% anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have no figures but strongly suspect its likely closer to 70% US based passengers given the seasonality of the market at SNN.

Its got to be at least 60% anyway.

Even on EI? I'd believe it on AA, UA and DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

'Disruptive' passenger forces Tenerife-bound flight to divert to Shannon Airport (Independent)

Shannon Airport must have acquired quite a degree of expertise in handling disruptive off-loaded passengers by now. It seems to happen with monotonous regularity.

I'd love to see the faces of these passengers the morning after (assuming most instances are due to too much liquor/meds/drugs. One rarely hears about the sequel to these hugely disruptive events though.

Are there any further consequences other than a court appearance in Ennis, a fine then sent on their way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Even on EI? I'd believe it on AA, UA and DL.

Yes, Ireland-US traffic is more US heavy, at some stage in recent years EI said US traffic was 60%/40% bookings ex US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

tippman1 wrote:
    Are there any further consequences other than a court appearance in Ennis, a fine then sent on their way?

In this case he was released with a file sent to dpp

In this case he was released with a file sent to dpp

And if the DPP prosecutes, is it just a fine, plus admonishment from the sitting judge and then it's over and done with, same as what a delinquent drunk in any rural town in Ireland might expect for falling foul of the Gardai on a Saturday night after-hours?

Ryanair beginning to load the 2016/17 winter schedules, currently loaded for SNN is KRK and SXF both at 2pw and still with the great timetable ideal for weekend breaks. Proven to be quite popular from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

SXF only 2 weekly isn't great though!

Read that wrong, thought you said summer. Whats the frequency for the summer season? Too lazy to check :P

• Advertisement

Still 2pw, but being honest FRI and MON are as good as anything.
    Due to financial restraints I haven't actually been able to get to Berlin, but planning to do so soon, several people have been and loads say it's amazing.
    Loading KRK and SXF so early can only be seen as a vote of confidence in these routes?

Yeah I did the Berlin one a while back, this time last year I think. Berlin is amazing!! Much nice then Munich. From what I remember it was 85% full over and full flight on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222||||||||||||
    Change|-2.5%||||||||||||

Much to that plonkers delight on twitter :pac:

Surely almost every month this year will see a reduction, most likely?

Airbus330 wrote: »

From March Stobart operations to EDI resume, so from at least March-June numbers should be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Airbus330 wrote: »

What plonker on twitter? I've scanned the previous posts and can't figure out who? Don't have / use twitter so might be an explanation :)

Deagol wrote:
    What plonker on twitter? I've scanned the previous posts and can't figure out who? Don't have / use twitter so might be an explanation

A pro-Cork and anti everywhere else type. Makes up random facts (lies) to suit their agenda.

Went through a few posts there, comedy gold.
    My favourites:
    "Tom Whelan
    @TomWhelan19
    @BoeingAirplanes Does Boeing support proposed Cork, EICK to Boston flights by Norwegian? Thank you.🇮🇪🛫🇳🇴🛬🇺🇸
    12:35 a.m. - 30 Jan 2016"

and

"I don't! It's only DAA ego wants another runway.🙄
    6:30 a.m. - 27 Jan 2016"

According to this, pax was up 6% in Jan...
    Shannon showed a reduction in commercial flights in and out of the airport of 2.5 per cent to 1,222 from 1,253. However, a spokesman explained this was because airlines used wider-bodied craft, with more seats, so the number of passengers was up 6 per cent. “There were fewer turnarounds but more passengers,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/airports-see-continued-growth-in-flights-and-passenger-numbers-1.2529984#.VrwskFyEJ9U.twitter

Shannon weather record upheld in 2015 (Shannon Airport)

Shannon Airport’s record of seeing off some of the most inclement of days thrown at the nation is reflected in an almost three-fold increase in weather diversions last year over 2014.

A review of unscheduled landings in 2015 showed that Shannon received 270 diversions last year compared to 92 in 2014.

The diversions would predominantly have arisen from aircraft unable to land at other Irish airports affected by severe weather conditions, mostly high winds.

Last year also saw one more ‘declared emergency’ than the six incidents in 2014, while medical diversions were also up to 27 from 22. Said Shannon Airport Director of Operations Niall Maloney, “Shannon has an excellent record of remaining operational during the most inclement weather conditions, often when other airports here have to close.

• Advertisement

From the above article : "However, the number of diversions we get from other airports here in Ireland and, indeed, some UK airports from time to time"

When was the last time we got diversions from a UK airport?

Royal Jordan flight RJ264 from Chicago to Amman diverted to Shannon this morning.

According to UTV a passenger died on board.

Do I not recall a few BA emergencies at some point? Same aircraft on at least two occasions? Can't recall the time though? Pretty sure it was a 777.

As for "emergencies" I don't know. I do remember a Virgin 747 landing to get more fuel when I was working airside.

Do I not recall a few BA emergencies at some point? Same aircraft on at least two occasions? Can't recall the time though? Pretty sure it was a 777.

As for "emergencies" I don't know. I do remember a Virgin 747 landing to get more fuel when I was working airside.

Here is the BA B777 incident: Nov. 2014.

BA jet diverted twice to Shannon

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ba-jet-diverted-twice-to-shannon-299244.html

tippman1 wrote: »
    Here is the BA B777 incident: Nov. 2014.

BA jet diverted twice to Shannon

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ba-jet-diverted-twice-to-shannon-299244.html

Cheers. Wow, time flies 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Did I notice 3 diversions from Knock to SNN around mid day today? ....

I think it was two from Knock due fog, and a third diversion by a transatlantic eastbound United jet with suspected engine failure.

We spoke too soon :P

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/emergency-landing-at-shannon-airport-720325.html

Also, 98 passengers on a 767 isn't great for 2 major cities even for off peak season...!

Three from Knock were diverting to Shannon when UA102 declared an emergency as it was down to 1 engine. The first 2 diversions from NOC got in, the third one couldn't delay so had to immediately divert to DUB. The LHR-SNN (EI381) flight had to hold for a time.

• Advertisement

Advertisement