Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing and insulation costs

• 23-01-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently bought a detached single storey house of about 2000sq ft. It's an interesting mix of a 1890's gate lodge with a 1990's extension. It needs some work and I'm wondering what it'll cost me. I've a budget of about 50k.

Roof:
    Needs to be reflashed with either lead or fibreglass, and the fall isn't great so that needs to be redone.
    Brick chimneys (4) need to be cleaned of paint and repointed.

House:
    The 1890s part needs to be drylined. Internal wall length of about 25m x 2.5m in height, so about 62.5m2. Some radiators would need to be moved and replumbed. As far as I know, the 1990's extension has cavity walls and can be pumped. The windows are recently doubleglazed and are fine.

The back wall of the 1890s house needs to be replastered, about 50m2 (possibly needs lime render)

Ensuite installed in the master bedroom

An ensuite removed from a bedroom (too small to have it in there)

I'd also like to knock a structural internal wall of about 6m in length and 3m in height, which would likely necessitate a steel support. There's also the need for new carpets and flooring, and a kitchen, but those can wait if necessary.

Is this budget reasonable? I'm prepared to row back on things like the flooring and kitchen and live with it for a few years.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I would get 4 builders quotes

my guess 100k

newly amended Building Control Regulations will come into effect on March 2014. which will drive costs up

is it a listed building

12k-18k for roof retile and repair timbers,

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

I would get 4 builders quotes

my guess 100k

newly amended Building Control Regulations will come into effect on March 2014. which will drive costs up

is it a listed building

Really, as much as that? No, it's not listed. If I start works before March would I still be subject to the new regulations? Thanks for the response.

Edit: I just looked at the document in question:http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2013/en.si.2013.0080.pdf
    and it seems they don't apply as it's not a new building and there's no extension being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Marian1

12k-18k for roof retile and repair timbers,

Does anyone have any idea how much it would be to re roof a 2 storey terraced house, house built 60 years ago?? Any help will be grateful
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Marian1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how much it would be to re roof a 2 storey terraced house, house built 60 years ago?? Any help will be grateful
    Thanks

not enough detail

5k stab in the dark

best to get 3 quotes

id even go so far as to say you should get a arch to write a brief spec and check its done right

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bubbling

I understand the new Building Control Regulations only apply to new buildings, extensions over 40 sq.m., works that require planning permission, or a FSC is required and so would not be applicable to these works?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Bubbling wrote: »
    I understand the new Building Control Regulations only apply to new buildings, extensions over 40 sq.m., works that require planning permission, or a FSC is required and so would not be applicable to these works?

Who's post are you replying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bubbling

post #2

Advertisement