Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time slowdown

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm completely fed up with my Broadband service. I'm paying for up to 24Mb. During the day the max I get is 16Mb but at night this drops to anything from 1 to 3 Mb. I've phoned tech support 3 or 4 times and just get fobbed off every time. "we'll get the engineers to look at it", and that's the last I hear. I'm on the Newlands Cross exchange and only about 100 metres from it. I only signed up with Eircom because the eFibre map promised Sept 13 rollout. After several changes it's notw showing March, but I won't should my breath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Same problem here, based in Kilkenny.

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

No reply Eircom? There's a surprise. 1 Mb tonight. 186ms ping. Completely unusable. 

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I'm based at Connolly Station.. with UPC.  Since you posted your speeds around the same time, here are mine..
    I've got up to 150MB

3260879156.png

On http://www.broadbandspeedtest.ie I got 92MB

I could get eircom's speedtest page to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Im on the 50 efibre, and been having awful speeds for the last few weeks in the evening, usually any time after 8pm up until some time around 12am.
    Forget about playing PS4 between these times, even netflix and youtube are brutal..

Yet eircom say the cable cut issue has been fixed ??
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Resolved-Recent-undersea-cable-issues/td-p/56284

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Guys[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I can see that there are a number of people experiencing congestion like effects at peak times and I can appreciate that you might want to share this information with us here however the best advice I can possibly offer on this is to contact eircom broadband technical support for assistance on this when you notice the speeds are slowing down.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I can understand you require clarification and our position on what the issue is and of course I would love to provide these answers but unfortunately I just don't have these answers. I have been informed to advise that a call must be made and issues will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Understandably this can be disappointing and I do apologise for the inconvenient this brings.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Technical support can be contacted 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm on free phone 1901 (enter number then chose option 3 then 2) or on 1890260260. We also have a technical support web chat service - follow here for details http://bit.ly/1d4wjku[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Cheers Alan.
    The congestion sucks,  when i signed up i was specifically told that there would be no congestion, and how that was on of the benefits of the efibre. Ill give them a call after 8pm, when its at its worst.

It's a waste of time contacting tech support. They just say they'll pass it on to engineers and nothing happens. The fact that the connection works during the day suggests it's a contention issue or Eircom throttling the connection. 

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I also suffered from the congestion, and had a fight w tech.support for several months, and they never admitted the congestion issue, they released me from the contract though.

I went to Sky, and speeds are little bit better, but im still suffering for the congestion, since they use Eircom exchanges etc, but atleast they admitted after tech. visit that it is a congestion issue, and it is widely reported, but they cant force Eircom to address the issue.
    + the Sky Customer service/tech support is much  better than sc. Eircom customer service.

As these posts of congestion has been increased since the eFibre launch, i can only assume that there is not enough backhaul to handle the traffic and Eircom is not admitting this. :(

1.2Mb tonight. It's a joke. Currently on hold again for tech support, though not sure why I'm bothering. 

• Advertisement

1.10 mb/s here.. With a line capable of 10-11mb/s in the daytime..

After half an hour with no answer on hold I gave up. Nobody on the chat link given above

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Where are you testing your speed?

PeteK* wrote: »
    Where are you testing your speed?
    Eircom customers should use
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest/

and others can use for example
    www.speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Hi vinniemac. I'm a very short distance from the Newlands exchange also. Let me know if you get it sorted out

Very hard to get it sorted when tech support don't answer the phone. Another 30 minutes holding in vain trying to speak to someone. 1.5 Mb again tonight, 16mb this afternoon. 

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Happening to me too, about 7-12, then speeds miraculously go back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

3264700265.png3265348306.png3266130267.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CathalOS

Hi Guys

I can see that there are a number of people experiencing congestion like effects at peak times and I can appreciate that you might want to share this information with us here however the best advice I can possibly offer on this is to contact eircom broadband technical support for assistance on this when you notice the speeds are slowing down.

I can understand you require clarification and our position on what the issue is and of course I would love to provide these answers but unfortunately I just don't have these answers. I have been informed to advise that a call must be made and issues will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Understandably this can be disappointing and I do apologise for the inconvenient this brings.

Technical support can be contacted 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm on free phone 1901 (enter number then chose option 3 then 2) or on 1890260260. We also have a technical support web chat service - follow here for details http://bit.ly/1d4wjku

Thanks

Al
    Alan, with all due respect, I have been contacting the broadband support department since early December and have probably made 15-20 calls with no sign of any resolution. I have never managed to speak with anyone other than a 1st line support rep who would 'pass it on to engineers' and, like the other poster, have never received any update on the issues. I have tried to find the threads where you address the website claims of no NGB degradation, but have failed to find it. Our 'NGB' connection is unusable during the evenings due to congestion/contention.

Can you provide me with email address or, better still, a telephone number for Michael Byrne, your Director of Customer Service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 CathalOS

nuxxx wrote: »
    Really? According to LinkedIn, he left Meteor earlier in 2013 to join Eircom.

CathalOS wrote: »
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Really? According to LinkedIn, he left Meteor earlier in 2013 to join Eircom.
    Check post 64. Meteor is owned by Eircom

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/E-Fibre-poor-wifi/td-p/44612/page/7

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mightycraic

As has been stated above, there is no point whatsoever contacting the broadband support team as you will get the scripted response "it's with the engineers". It's frustrating that nobody within Eircom will accept ownership of this major issue and, at least, advise their users what the problem is and what is being done about it. In the meantime, potential new users are being conned into thinking that they will suffer no degradation of service on the NGB. Having already made a formal complaint to Eircom, this has now been followed up with formal complaints to both Comreg and the Advertising Standards Agency ("This ensures you will always receive the fastest speed your line can support and delivers a consistent online experience for you"). It is abundantly clear that Eircom could not care less about their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

I went through this about two years ago and its amazing it raring its ugly head again. It lasted about six months for me. Eircom had so many complaints about it, they eventually fixed something in the main exchange and not my local one, but it got fixed. Can't say i have had any problems since.

I have 7 meg profile (local exchange ASDL1) get around 6.2 to 6.3 download 324kb upload which is the set upload can't go anymore.

Eircom has to be more careful and not annoy customers nowadays. ESB broadband is on its way and last thing Eircom should be doing is annoying customers.

You pay for a service it should be 90 to 99% perfect, with allowances though given for faults that are out of their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mightycraic

Would one of the Eircom reps on here please confirm that this is Eircom's legal identity for broadband services?

Eircom Limited
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Heuston South Quarter [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]St. Johns Rd [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dublin 8[/font]

Advertisement