Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Pregnant dog ) gut infection

• 23-01-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a dog which was sire Saturday with a expensive sire, she was left with the breeder for a week when she came back she was fine but today she was very sick and had her at the vet she was said she had a gut infection and gave her narodine antibiotics to take for the week would they effect her pups if she is pregnant as she is only mated 5 days. Or would they be no harm as I am concerned
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I checked for you; Norodine can be safely used during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Madden171

Thank you, as she is less then a week mated would you think she would be ok. I was afraid the embryos might be reabsorbed back in to her, hopefully she will be ok,
    Thank you again
    Appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did you tell your vet that she had been mated?

andreac wrote: »
    Did you tell your vet that she had been mated?

Yes she was notified that she was mated, but she said the infection had to be cleared up, as long as long as my dog is ok that is the main .

Ah right. Well I'm sure the medication they gave her is suitable for pregnant bitches.
    Fingers crossed she's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Madden171 wrote: »
    Thank you, as she is less then a week mated would you think she would be ok. I was afraid the embryos might be reabsorbed back in to her, hopefully she will be ok,
    Thank you again
    Appreciated.

hopefully she will be ok if shes in pup implantation will still not have occurred

can the bitch reabsorb the pups before implantation just a question for the more knowledgeable breeders its something ive always wondered

Hi I was going to bring down my lab to get scanned to see if she's in pup or not she's a month gone Tuesday is safe to being her to vets at that stage ??

Safe in what way? You usually get bitches scanned around 4/5 weeks so it's ideal time now.
    How many days is it since she was mated?

most vets will be able to tell by palpitation at this stage if she is pregnant or not but if your looking for numbers scan is the way to go and as andreac says above now is the ideal time

whats your concern a scan is an ultrasound so quite safe

She was mated 18th of January ya not sure if timing was right? Do any of ye inject dead Pavo while a bitch is pregnant ?

• Advertisement

No, why would you do that? Who suggested to do it?
    Do you mean give a parvo injection?

Ya Pavo injection you can get a live or dead vaccine, not sure if many people give it ??

You mean parvo?

If your bitch is up to date on her vaccines I wouldn't be giving anything else at this stage in her pregnancy.

Madden171 wrote: »
    Ya Pavo injection you can get a live or dead vaccine, not sure if many people give it ??

may I ask what use a dead vaccine is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Madden171, would you not just ask your vet what the best course of action with your bitch is? Just phone them, and ask them. They're surely the best person to be seeking advice from for your dog.
    You were asking during the week about breeding Rough Collies too... perhaps you could ask your vet for a full rundown on what needs to be done pre-mating, during pregnancy, birth, and care of bitch and pups afterwards in terms of vaccinations, worming, flea-treatment etc? If breeding is something you're getting into, this is the sort of thing that needs to be very familiar to you.

Advertisement