Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best route to Drogheda

Options
  • 24-01-2014 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Please move this if there is a more appropriate forum for it.

So what is the best route to Drogheda from Sligo?

I was thinking of going though Enniskillan, Cavan and Navan.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

any road out of Sligo would be good !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Yeah pretty much. Once you get to navan aim for Kentstown, Duleek and finally Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Use google maps but Via mullingar means less travel on bad roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Sligo - Carrick on Shannon - Mullingar - Delvin - Athboy - Navan - Slane -Drogheda.

You have motorways and dual carriageways to Mullingar, then a long twisty road to Navan. It's the fastest way I've found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Mullingar to Navan is a crap road all the way. Roadworks on the slane road from navan to Drogheda atm too.

OP's Enniskillen to Navan is good roads the whole way, then Navan-Kentstown-Duleek-Drogheda is not too bad.

Mullingar to Navan is a crap road all the way. Roadworks on the slane road from navan to Drogheda atm too.

OP's Enniskillen to Navan is good roads the whole way, then Navan-Kentstown-Duleek-Drogheda is not too bad.

Eniskillen is fairly out of the way. The road from Sligo to Ennis isn't the best either. I know Mullingar to Navan is rubbish, but the time you'd save getting to Mullingar outweighs that.

Although at this stage we're talking about tens of minutes, so either way will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

You could also continue straight on past Mullingar on the M4, head North on the M50 and then North to Drogheda on the M1.

I drove Sligo to Drogheda a few years ago now and went the Mullingar - Navan road, wasn't great being honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

bobcar61 wrote: »
    You could also continue straight on past Mullingar on the M4, head North on the M50 and then North to Drogheda on the M1.

I drove Sligo to Drogheda a few years ago now and went the Mullingar - Navan road, wasn't great being honest!
    If you want good roads all the way, take this route. You'll be in Drogheda 20/25 mins after passing the airport entrance.
    But there's tolls on the M4, M50 and M1!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

any road out of Sligo would be good !

I'll give you a warning, this isn't after hours, everyone else is offering constructive advice to the OP, considering you're from Waterford and not Sligo, refrain from trolling in the Sligo forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 laffindevil

Sligo - Carrick on Shannon - Mullingar - Delvin - Athboy - Navan - Slane -Drogheda.

You have motorways and dual carriageways to Mullingar, then a long twisty road to Navan. It's the fastest way I've found.

I've travelled this route regularly & agree but if you get stuck behind a truck when you leave Mullingar it can feel like a very long trip. Poor road for overtaking safely.
    If travelling off peak then going straight to Dublin & then down the M1 is a smoother route.

Depends on the car / driver & how you like to drive...Sticking to the N4/M1 is very straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

I would agree the Dublin M4,M50,M1 is easier.But if you go the Enniskillen way,avoid Enniskilen by going stright on at Blacklion instead of turning left for the border.This brings you up past the marble arch caves and onto the cavan road.Enniskillen at times can take a while to get through.Have never gone further than Cavan/Monaghan on this route so cant say what its like after that.

phillo65 wrote: »
    I would agree the Dublin M4,M50,M1 is easier.But if you go the Enniskillen way,avoid Enniskilen by going stright on at Blacklion instead of turning left for the border.This brings you up past the marble arch caves and onto the cavan road.Enniskillen at times can take a while to get through.Have never gone further than Cavan/Monaghan on this route so cant say what its like after that.

Only problem is the 8 euro in tolls. 2.90 on the M4, 3 on the M50 and 1.90 on the M1.

Plus all the associated rush hour traffic on these roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Only problem is the 8 euro in tolls. 2.90 on the M4, 3 on the M50 and 1.90 on the M1.

Plus all the associated rush hour traffic on these roads.
    I think you can exit before the M1 toll but it's longer way into Drogheda town. I did this run every weekend for about 6 months a couple of years ago, and if I was in a hurry I took the toll roads.
    Usually going back on Mon. mornings!
    Fri. evenings it would be Duleek, Kentstown, Navan, Athboy, Delvin and onto the N4 at Mullingar.
    Navan is worst for rush hour traffic!

red sean wrote: »
    I think you can exit before the M1 toll but it's longer way into Drogheda town. I did this run every weekend for about 6 months a couple of years ago, and if I was in a hurry I took the toll roads.
    Usually going back on Mon. mornings!
    Fri. evenings it would be Duleek, Kentstown, Navan, Athboy, Delvin and onto the N4 at Mullingar.
    Navan is worst for rush hour traffic!

You get off at J7, Julianstown and it adds about 20 minutes onto the time.

Navan is bad, but only for a half an hour. You don't need to go into the town, just off the motorway by the retail park, turn left at the firestation and around the roundabout to Slane.

OP what side of Drogheda do you want to end up on? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

I'll give you a warning, this isn't after hours, everyone else is offering constructive advice to the OP, considering you're from Waterford and not Sligo, refrain from trolling in the Sligo forum.
    Sorry didn't realize humor wasn't allowed,or posting in another county thread wasn't allowed. what makes you think i am from Waterford ? and should it matter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Sorry didn't realize humor wasn't allowed,or posting in another county thread wasn't allowed. what makes you think i am from Waterford ? and should it matter !!

Not that I am required to answer you, but your first post on boards is a big clue. Odd how no-one else caught the 'humor' in your remark.

The new trafic mess on the Quay.
    Really have to agree with Max Powers, can't believe the amount of criticism going on here about what has to be the best improvement to our city in a long time. We should be making the best of our river and our quays and this work will do just that. The quay as it was was dangerous with all the doub
    2 months, 2 weeks in Waterford City by paulfosters 728 Replies 34,483 Views

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

Thanks to everyone that's given suggestions. I'll be travelling to Drogheda a few times over the next few months so it's great to see what people think of the options available.

I went towards Enniskillen but turned off near Blacklion, as another poster suggested, and went Cavan and Navan. It was OK but there were some very hilly roads in one section! I think I'll try the Carrick and Mullingar suggestion next time. Thanks again :-)

OP what side of Drogheda do you want to end up on? :D

The place I was going to was near the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Usually go the Mullingar route going to Drogheda. Came back via Enniskillen a few times but never liked the drive. Never tried the motorway route but must try it next time.

Advertisement