Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearby dog howling & whining plaintively at night

• 24-01-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

For the second night in a row, starting about 11pm, there has been what sounds like a big dog somewhere outdoors near my house, presumably in nearby garden, making the most plaintive barking, howling, whining, whimpering noises. I suppose dogs can be quite 'dramatic' sometimes, and I'm a bit prone to anthropomorphism, but this poor beast sounds so desperately unhappy it's killing me. :( I've tried to narrow down its location without sucess (but there are hedges and walls to obscure the view). Perhaps the animal is a new arrival and not happy to be left out alone in a strange garden? I know I wouldn't leave a dog out in this weather, but maybe it's not generally thought unacceptable?

I'm going to call the ISPCA tomorrow for advice. Meanwhile, any thoughts from currently awake boardsies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

It could be a dog that smells a bitch in heat nearby. The can make an awful lot of noise in their mission to escape to get to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

My dog does it from time to time. It's like a wolf and id say he can be heard from a half mile radius. He's inside though and has everything he needs so no idea why he does it. He's needy at times so I put it down to that. Maybe that's why the dog you hear does it.

Wakes everyone up but the sound is that loud it's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Thankfully, though the howling went on for hours the previous night, it seems to have stopped fairly soon after I posted here. Touch wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

For the second night in a row, starting about 11pm, there has been what sounds like a big dog somewhere outdoors near my house

Could it be a werewolf? :)

It may be as previous posters have said, a bitch in heat nearby.

However, I am a firm believer that dogs are not back garden decorations, especially not in this weather.

Glad it stopped for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Karlitto wrote: »

However, I am a firm believer that dogs are not back garden decorations, especially not in this weather.

Agreed, and its only going to get colder according to the weather!

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Agreed, and its only going to get colder according to the weather!

Indeed, but it is not just the cold weather, who likes being in the rain? And in this country we have more than enough.

As well, dogs are pack (family orientated) animals, they are social, so should be around the family. Leaving a dog as a garden ornament can lead to the dog becoming anti social which can lead to an aggressive dog.

Karlitto wrote: »
    Could it be a werewolf? ...
    Ha - wouldn't surprise me too much - first time I heard a fox brought to mind tales of banshees (or humans being savaged by werewolves)!

Ha - wouldn't surprise me too much - first time I heard a fox brought to mind tales of banshees (or humans being savaged by werewolves)!

Yes! I know exactly what you mean :D

I'm at home today and haven't heard any dog noises so far - suspect it may be a guard dog brought in at night to a nearby non-residential property(?) It's possible there may be an open shelter of some sort, I suppose.

Advertisement