Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiping my computer + smartphone completely clean???

Options
  • 24-01-2014 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Really need help with this, I am really getting tired of seeing all this viruses somehow getting onto my smartphone and laptop, hackers trying to get into my email and scammer cold calls from abroad, even though I have not clicked on anything dodgy.

I have learnt from my mistakes with the internet and I am trying to focus my life away from the computer, reduce my digital footprint as much as possible, but it just that it feels like both my phone and computer have been compromised in someway, and it like it is completely open and vulnerable to any attacks anytime and I won't know anything about them unless I run anti-virus scans. It makes me paranoid a bit, tbh. I even have my webcam cover in black masking tape because of these webcam hacks I keep hearing on the news. :(

I am just wondering, since I am not totally tech-savvie, is there anyone possible to try and wipe any data, information, just anything really, and have my computer completely clean of info?
    Just basically, I want it to be like brand new, as I have just bought it out of the shop again.

Is this possible? Any help is appreaciated, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Just basically, I want it to be like brand new, as I have just bought it out of the shop again.
    Do you have recovery disks from when your computer was new, or a source to download the original operating system and apps? If so, you can reformat your drive(s), reinstall the operating system and apps, and then do updates. If you are not familiar with these processes, then I would recommend that you get help from someone knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

What antivirus software are you using?

if you fancy going down the format/reinstall option, Microsoft have guides that you can print out, but if your not confident, it would be best to have access to a second laptop next to you, to follow the instructions online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

If you need to download a fresh version of Windows and do a complete re-install go here and get a copy of the version of Windows that you are running
    Make sure you have your product key

See the reply by J W Stewart which has all the answers and lots of help too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you have the original packaging for your laptop and phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

johndoe99 wrote: »
    What antivirus software are you using?

if you fancy going down the format/reinstall option, Microsoft have guides that you can print out, but if your not confident, it would be best to have access to a second laptop next to you, to follow the instructions online.

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials. I have computers at my college that i might use instead for instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

degsie wrote: »
    Do you have the original packaging for your laptop and phone?

I have for my phone, I am not totally sure about my laptop as I bought it years ago from the US and can't remember if they gave us any extra information with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

If you are sick of virus torjan and malware attacks, look at changing to either a MAC or a linux install. I have put Linux Mint on some neighbours computers and they would not be computer literate, however I've had no calls about malware/adware since.

If you want to continue with Windows, then make sure that you have two accounts set up. One as a user and one as an administrator. Day to day use the User account.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ubuntu have some good guides on how to install a new OS. Linux would be less likely to get infected just so you know.

Advertisement