Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric ireland energy saving tips gimmick

• 24-01-2014 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I received an email from energy ireland informing me of energy saving tips such as washing machines on 40 degree wash uses less energy, LED lights using 80 % less energy etc and then it sets out the savings made over the lifetime of the appliance. Then it offered me to make a comment which I did and when I clicked on the submit button I got an error reading so my comments dont get through. My tip for energy saving is to close your electric Ireland account altogether as that is the surest way to save money. This company promotes energy saving etc only to charge you more by way of a higher standing charge on your account,so anything you save through less consumption will be recouped by electric ireland by applying a higher standing charge approved by the energy regulator who is a great friend of electric ireland. The pathetic reason given to me for the higher standing charge was that my use was very low and it costs electric ireland getting the energy to me. I live in Dublin city in a terraced house so clearly it costs a fortune to get the energy to my house given the remote siberian location of my property which electric lreland has to pay its staff to get it to me. The 14 other houses on my road add to the cost of getting energy to me as well, as the energy has to stop by at those houses too before finally arriving exhausted to my terraced house in Dublin city. Also nobody could explain why I pay VAT on a PSO LEVY? This levy is applied to your account before the vat is added thereby making your total amount due a bigher sum. Imagine if you were to be taxed in the same way on PAYE earnings? A levy is different in tax law and another good friend of electric ireland,the revenue commissioner,does not bat an eyelid when VAT is handed over to it on top of the PSO levies. I dont pay vat on a plastic bag levy if I go shopping,why then must I pay VAT on a PSO levy?. This is cleary another secret of Fatima that will never be disclosed by the vatican of energy regulators. Elec tric Ireland will always ensure that where ever and when ever it can, apply standing charges relentlessly to your account ,at higher rates should you insult them by having low use which to ensure its CEO is well paid and it can offer its staff reductions and discounts on their bills and supplement its pensions bill by charging the greedy evil cheapskate customers more, to cover the high costs that electric ireland finds itself in through no fault of its own. What a pathetic lot this country is to let them away with fleecing people and they having the gall to suggest energy saving tips to it victims.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stopped reading 2 lines in due to lack of paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

I received an email from energy ireland informing me of energy saving tips such as washing machines on 40 degree wash uses less energy, LED lights using 80 % less energy etc and then it sets out the savings made over the lifetime of the appliance. Then it offered me to make a comment which I did and when I clicked on the submit button I got an error reading so my comments dont get through. My tip for energy saving is to close your electric Ireland account altogether as that is the surest way to save money. This company promotes energy saving etc only to charge you more by way of a higher standing charge on your account,so anything you save through less consumption will be recouped by electric ireland by applying a higher standing charge approved by the energy regulator who is a great friend of electric ireland. The pathetic reason given to me for the higher standing charge was that my use was very low and it costs electric ireland getting the energy to me. I live in Dublin city in a terraced house so clearly it costs a fortune to get the energy to my house given the remote siberian location of my property which electric lreland has to pay its staff to get it to me. The 14 other houses on my road add to the cost of getting energy to me as well, as the energy has to stop by at those houses too before finally arriving exhausted to my terraced house in Dublin city. Also nobody could explain why I pay VAT on a PSO LEVY? This levy is applied to your account before the vat is added thereby making your total amount due a bigher sum. Imagine if you were to be taxed in the same way on PAYE earnings? A levy is different in tax law and another good friend of electric ireland,the revenue commissioner,does not bat an eyelid when VAT is handed over to it on top of the PSO levies. I dont pay vat on a plastic bag levy if I go shopping,why then must I pay VAT on a PSO levy?. This is cleary another secret of Fatima that will never be disclosed by the vatican of energy regulators. Elec tric Ireland will always ensure that where ever and when ever it can, apply standing charges relentlessly to your account ,at higher rates should you insult them by having low use which to ensure its CEO is well paid and it can offer its staff reductions and discounts on their bills and supplement its pensions bill by charging the greedy evil cheapskate customers more, to cover the high costs that electric Ireland finds itself in through no fault of its own. What a pathetic lot this country is to let them away with fleecing people and they having the gall to suggest energy saving tips to it victims.

I agree with you KW completely on all of the above issues and you highlighted perfectly the pure stupidity of the Electric Ireland meter billing. I too have a premises with a low usage charge. I even disconnected the fridge to save on electricity, but still am penalized for not using enough! I very seldom use public transport, but can they charge me a low usage charge for not using them often enough. The general Irish person is being taken for a ride, and the Public Accounts Committee is doing their best to investigate this rip-off culture indulged in by these energy utility companies who are being backed up by the Commission on Energy Regulation (CER).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@kaiserwilliam - Adding some paragraphs & punctuation (if possible) to your posts will help other readers understand them better.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kaiserwilliam

dudara wrote: »
    @kaiserwilliam - Adding some paragraphs & punctuation (if possible) to your posts will help other readers understand them better.

dudara

Thanks for the reply regarding punctuation and paragraphs.

My point is that it is not necessary for such a reply to state in the thread their reasons for not liking the post because it lacks paragraphs. They dont have to read it if they dont wish to.

Im using a smartphone so typos and paragraphss spellings etc are liable to error. The substance of the post is what the reader, I would have thought, is the substantive point.

I really dont need to stand corrected on pedantics when I simply just want to express a view on a topic. It is not what I expected to find on the board.

Perhaps I should reconsider contributing to the posts if I am only going to discover replies similar to the one here. It very off offputting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭dohouch

@kaiserwilliam.
    Adding some paragraphs & punctuation (if possible) to your posts will help other readers understand them better.

dohouch

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

kaiserwilliam
    I think you made pertinent points
    you pointed out the truth
    i am not worried about your grammar or paragraphs but interested in the content
    i often do not put capitals, especially in the cold as one of my hands is badly affected by arthritus and to use this m/c is painful and I do not expect either criticism or sympathy
    i do expect forbearance with difficulties
    you have said, correctly as far as I know, that we are overcharged at every turn
    you pointed out that, yet again, the poorest in the land are getting not just a harder time but are being very unfairly treated
    thank you for pointing this firm out to us, i appreciate that
    i am not satisfied with esb but I will say they give such great service to the rural south despite bills and some other shortcomings
    the actual electricity supply is looked after very well indeed and all of us, especially us old and disabled are looked after with that extra touch..
    an instance, one day they put the electric off on the wrong day for repairs - they had written to ensure I knew it was the next day (it was very cold) and they telephoned to ask if I had arrangements I could manage, and they would do it as soon as possible THANK YOU ESB
    as it happened I was very cold, had just a hot water bottle but this year, 2 years later, have finally got a little electric blanket piece and this will be very useful to save money
    importantly a tiny generator will run it and so I recommend sales for these cuts so people may have something
    and yes, things have to be saved for and much sacrificed but after each time I treasure vital equipment like this
    the long waits are forgotten in the pleasure of the moment and the contemplated future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The higher standing charge kicks in at such low usage that any premises which has a permanently fitted broadband connection and an occasionally used computer is going to go over the limit. I suspect you don't even know where it kicks in and definitely aren't being charged it, despite ranting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

MYOB
    I do not see this as ranting but an opinion to which one is entitled without insult.
    As to when this extra charge comes in would it be listed on the various charges which comprise the
    whole amount.
    Surely it would not be charged and not mentioned.
    Also what has the extra computer usage have to do with the electric bill? The electric is one bill here, the hub/phone more and different, just as the house tax, car expenxes etc.
    Could you explain this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Computers use power, routers use power. Someone who is posting on boards.ie is going to have to have something to post with, which uses power.

The low usage standing charge kicks in at an EXTREMELY low usage which it would be effectively impossible to go below in an inhabited dwelling - particularly one with internet access.

Advertisement