Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the importance of live customer support tool in online marketing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

We have this facility on our CMS for two eCommerce sites. We have run trials and certainly we found that trying to engage with visitors generally ended up with them exiting the site immediately!! I thought about it a bit and I noticed that I do exactly the same thing myself when a "may I help you" box pops up. I feel it is an invasion of what I like to think is a private session. I dont like to feel I am being watched, though of course I know I am. My advice is the marketing No1 old adage, put yourself in the customers shoes and see if you like the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I agree with Peter, Its like the 'suits you sir' experience in a shop - i hate it.

I had one running on a site and to be honest, whilst the engaging side was great, you have to be there 24/7 - if you say your online - you have to be online - people want an immediate response.

I think there are better ways to generate leads than an intrusive 'pop-up'

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

Yes, it can help, as long as you are not pushy with the chat requests. Some people might prefer to ask a question over chat, rather than emailing or telephoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Depends what way it is implemented. A proactive popup is bad.

a better implementation is where the user can click the corner of the screen to initiate a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Depends what way it is implemented. A proactive popup is bad.

a better implementation is where the user can click the corner of the screen to initiate a chat.

I agree in general, but the big problem is that if you are going to have it, it needs to be manned. With nearly 40% of weekly traffic on our sites being during "out of office times" ( eves and weekends), and we are B2B!! if it is switched on, it would need to be live manned at all times, I just cant see the cost/return benefit! In fact we have many many customers who call while on the site and talk through their precise needs!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

its used more to fix customer problems

Advertisement