Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney marathon of the lakes 2014

Options
  • 24-01-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Does anyone know if there are many registered for this, I entered it after Kildare was cancelled thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Their web pages says "Entries will be open soon". How did you sign up?

It's a fairly small race, last year they had 110 finishers. It's a stunningly beautiful setting, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Six down...

Thanks for reply, on the web page it says entries open soon but if you press register it goes through ok, hopefully it won't put people off. Looking forward to it as National Park lovely place for a run

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Considering this as my last long run before the tapering starts for full in June. Anyone else signed up for this since January or have a review from previous years?

Considering this as my last long run before the tapering starts for full in June. Anyone else signed up for this since January or have a review from previous years?

Here's my race report from last year from the full: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-not-to-run-training-run.html

There were a few minor issues with the race:

- long walk from the finish back to the changing area
    - prize giving was bit of a non-event
    - one relay runner missed a turn, though it was definitely signposted
    - there were some doubts about the accuracy, though the RD absolutely swears that it is correct after measuring it twice with a jones counter) [if it were inaccurate that would be a major issue to me, btw]

but overall it was a lovely race in a beautiful setting and I can definitely recommend it. Sadly it clashes with another race this year and I'm going to miss it, otherwise I would not hesitate signing up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Really looking forward to this as the park is a fabulous place to run. I don't understand why there are so few registered as it appears great value for money in comparison to many of the other marathons/half marathon in Kerry. Any thoughts from others ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Really looking forward to this as the park is a fabulous place to run. I don't understand why there are so few registered as it appears great value for money in comparison to many of the other marathons/half marathon in Kerry. Any thoughts from others ???

I ran the half last year and would recommend it also, yes the garmin did show slightly short but there was a lot of tree coverage on the route which would affect the garmin.

Beautiful scenery but the one peeve I had was that I was a bit of a dose to weave around the jaunting carts on the route as the park is open throughout the race obviously.

Still considering doing this at an easy pace instead of a 12 mile training run as I'm back home in Kerry that weekend. Blockic - what were the facilities like at the end of this last year, showers available?

Still considering doing this at an easy pace instead of a 12 mile training run as I'm back home in Kerry that weekend. Blockic - what were the facilities like at the end of this last year, showers available?

Showers were available but it was a 20 minutes walk from the finish to the changing rooms. Mind, that would be your cool-down after running the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

So, is everyone looking forward to this on Saturday?

Forecast seems just about perfect at the moment for it as long as the evening rain doesn't come earlier

yr.no

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

Kind of looking forward to it. I did Hamburg marathon on the 4th of this month and judging by my run last friday morning that took a lot more out of me than I initially thought. Not looking for a time or anything in Killarney though, just hoping to enjoy the run and see a bit more of the National Park than I did when I did the adventure race in October.

• Advertisement

Left leg is still quite tight from 20 miler Sunday..one i get calves and hamstrings feeling more relaxed I'll be looking forward to the half Saturday a bit more.

Considering investing in a foam roller or just spend a few quid on a massage hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Six down...

Seems alot of people have entered over the last few days with around 100 in the full and 180 in the half, the entry list can be seen on the Register page on their website. Looking forward to it now and the weather seems to be going to be good aswell!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

The weather forecast looks great for Saturday - nice and sunny, though hopefully we'l be finished before it gets up to the predicted 20c. It'll be better than Hamburg anyway, 6/7 degrees, which was fine while you were moving but wasn't very pleasant when hanging around after the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Killarney... my favourite holiday place ... really glad to be running the half yesterday...didn't know about it last year.... loved it... warm..... beautiful day to be out for a run..... Great value at €25 inc tech top...

Please don't give up on it.... Believe..... 'it will build through word of mouth '...

From experience... to make this the half/full everyone wants to run... plus a weekend away

1 Registration... fine hall as entrant numbers grow
    2 toilets.... a few more rolls of paper!!!
    3 For anyone travelling to a race .... Parking/REG/start line/finish line/back to car NEED to be closer...
    Start Lines...... for both the half & Full... would it work better in the future if ye have both just inside the Park. That would be the ideal!!!

I understand every race needs a sponsor at the club level you charged..... hence finish at Castlerosse...
    Good luck into the future.... looking forward to next year

Also ran the half yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly..thanks to the 2 hour pacer from 6 mile bridge I think it was! Couldn't have asked for better weather in such a gorgeous setting. I was treating this as a training run before I tapered for Cork City Marathon but after being slightly over my 2 hour target in Connemara at the back of my head I was also hoping to break the 2 hour mark. Came in at 1:56:xx so delighted!! Sandwiches after and free flowing water at the end was a godsend aswell!!

Agree with above on the negatives, toilet situation after registration meant I was nearly late for the start. The walk back to the college parking spot after was just way too much.

Those 2 things aside it was relaxed yet well organised and definitely one I'll be pencilling into next years calendar. Thanks to those involved who put on the show and volunteers along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Also ran the half yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly..thanks to the 2 hour pacer from 6 mile bridge I think it was! Couldn't have asked for better weather in such a gorgeous setting. I was treating this as a training run before I tapered for Cork City Marathon but after being slightly over my 2 hour target in Connemara at the back of my head I was also hoping to break the 2 hour mark. Came in at 1:56:xx so delighted!! Sandwiches after and free flowing water at the end was a godsend aswell!!

Agree with above on the negatives, toilet situation after registration meant I was nearly late for the start. The walk back to the college parking spot after was just way too much.

Those 2 things aside it was relaxed yet well organised and definitely one I'll be pencilling into next years calendar. Thanks to those involved who put on the show and volunteers along the way!

I had the same plan as yourself running this. Came in at 1:56:45. Pacer did a great job considering a Garmin was pretty much useless with the trees and the mile markers weren't that easy to spot.

This is defiantly one for the calendar. Best value race I have run and the location was stunning. It was a nice relief not to see a cone in sight after running the Limerick Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

gl0Rob wrote: »
    I had the same plan as yourself running this. Came in at 1:56:45. Pacer did a great job considering a Garmin was pretty much useless with the trees and the mile markers weren't that easy to spot.

This is defiantly one for the calendar. Best value race I have run and the location was stunning. It was a nice relief not to see a cone in sight after running the Limerick Marathon.

Was doing nicely up until about halfway, with an 8.15/mile pace, but completely died in the second half, coming in at 1:54. Unhappy with myself, but must move on.

+1 on the issues with the distance back to the cars from the finish line and the bog roll. But other than that, I must compliment the organisers on the day. One fear that I had from looking at the map was the number of wrong turns and possibility of going the wrong way, but the directional markers were very clear and stewarding was excellent.

One issue that the organisers may look at is the start for the half-marathon. Almost immediately you're into a maze of hills and dips and bends around Ross Island. If they could push the start back about a mile to allow you to get into your pace and also thin out the crowd a bit, it would be helpful.

Other than that, well organised, with a great feed at the finish line and fantastic weather. Well done to all!

Advertisement