Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie leaderboard: Powerlifting & Oly Lifts

• 24-01-2014 10:04am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any interest in resurrecting strength records similar to this thread from years ago?

Just have powerlifting (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) and Oly Lifts (Snatch, C&J). Video or it never happened, etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I assume it'll just be the same people claiming the top spots, no? VIS, Hanley, podge and Kev Pants??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I assume it'll just be the same people claiming the top spots, no? VIS, Hanley, podge and Kev Pants??

will give non competitive lifters a chance to train towards a competition goal. calculating their training peaks etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA JESUS!!!!!!

I used to out deadlift anto.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Still laughing my hole off.

If you're updating it, stick me in for 242.5kg @ 100kg squat, 140kg @ 90kg bench, 260kg @ 100kg deadlift and I'll get vids of them all.

...but I'm not routing them out unless it goes ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

This would be cool - may have a vid 2nite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Can weight classes be broken into 100g sub-sections so that I have chance of topping something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Good stuff. We can dispense with the cardio stuff from the fitness thread. How about:

Squat E/U
    Bench E/U
    Dead E/U
    Total E/U

(E/U = equipped/unequipped. Internet lifting rules now seem to be claiming knee wraps as "raw". Anyone have any opinions on this?)

Snatch
    Clean and Jerk
    Total (both lifts must have been completed on the same day)

Other stuff?
    Press
    Push Press
    Front squat

Video submission can count or comp results. Keep it all in one stickied post. Can we steal the rules from the other thread?

Yah I still don't agree with knee wraps being raw tbh... sleeves sure. Provided you can wear them for the duration of a training sessions and not kneed to take em off to allow your nees to breathe.

FFS

Da Za wrote: »
    FFS

FFS what?

• Advertisement

Raw v knee wrap raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭COH

F*ck you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

If it's about powerlifting then raw includes knee wraps. Pretty much every fed apart from the Irish Society for the Prevention of Fun in Powerlifting allows knee wraps.

The backlash against multi-ply that's made the likes of Dan Green, Lilliebridge, Lilly (I just got the Lilly repetition thing there... weird) so prominent as big name raw lifters accept knee wraps as a legitimate part of a big raw squat.

Also, I get wicked carryover from them and I just bought some absolutely mental ones at Xmas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Edwardius wrote: »
    Good stuff. We can dispense with the cardio stuff from the fitness thread. How about:

Squat E/U
    Bench E/U
    Dead E/U
    Total E/U

(E/U = equipped/unequipped. Internet lifting rules now seem to be claiming knee wraps as "raw". Anyone have any opinions on this?)

Snatch
    Clean and Jerk
    Total (both lifts must have been completed on the same day)

Other stuff?
    Press
    Push Press
    Front squat

Video submission can count or comp results. Keep it all in one stickied post. Can we steal the rules from the other thread?

My 2c:

Keep the lifts to a minimum. Just have the 5 mentioned in my earlier post (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J). Makes it easier and avoid having lift categories with only one of two entries in them.

Raw excludes knee wraps in my opinion. Knee sleeves are raw however. That's how I compete ... but whatever the majority want.

Don't have to be super anal over this. The idea is to motivate people to train and better themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Might be worth making it known which posters compete as well.

Give people an idea of what those who do compete and those who don't lift, make it more interesting for those who don't I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Id love to join this but I just don't have the balls to video myself in a busy gym! :P

BossArky wrote: »
    My 2c:

Keep the lifts to a minimum. Just have the 5 mentioned in my earlier post (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J). Makes it easier and avoid having lift categories with only one of two entries in them.

Raw excludes knee wraps in my opinion. Knee sleeves are raw however. That's how I compete ... but whatever the majority want.

Don't have to be super anal over this. The idea is to motivate people to train and better themselves.

Yeah, I don't think heavy wraps shouldn't really count as raw, knee sleeves are fine. This isn't really a powerlifting fed, it'll probably mostly be beginner/intermediate lifters posting, those who will be at the top will be at the top with or without knee wraps.

Standards:

Squat: hip crease below knee
    Bench: contact with shirt, ass stays on platform, feet don't move
    Deadlift: No hitchin', shoulders finish above or slightly behind bar

Anything from knee wraps to forklifts counts as equipped. Maybe just write in what equipment was used so that a 400kg squat in triple ply isn't viewed the same as a 250 in wraps.

Snatch/C&J:
    No pressin' out, only the feet contact the floor, finish with feet in line and bar overhead. Power, splits, squat lifts are ok.

Feel free to begin an internet war over any and all of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I'd go along with this. The wilks scale is a good idea, not making the heavier dudes have an advantage.

I think everyone's agrees that knee sleeves are okay.

How does this work with time frame etc?

Define sleeves

COH wrote: »
    Define sleeves

If sleeves are allowed for raw then they can only be single ply sleeves so.

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    If it's about powerlifting then raw includes knee wraps. Pretty much every fed apart from the Irish Society for the Prevention of Fun in Powerlifting allows knee wraps.

The backlash against multi-ply that's made the likes of Dan Green, Lilliebridge, Lilly (I just got the Lilly repetition thing there... weird) so prominent as big name raw lifters accept knee wraps as a legitimate part of a big raw squat.

Also, I get wicked carryover from them and I just bought some absolutely mental ones at Xmas.

Have the IPF started allowing wraps in the raw division?

They're the biggest fed worldwide and still the gold standard for me.
    Define sleeves
    Hanley wrote: »
    Yah I still don't agree with knee wraps being raw tbh... sleeves sure. Provided you can wear them for the duration of a training sessions and not kneed to take em off to allow your nees to breathe.

Also, before anyone mentions the belt thing and raw lifting...

All things being equal, once you wear a belt, it doesn't matter if you put a different but similar belt on. You won't get a additional carryover.

The same can't be said for wraps - there's degrees and ranges of weight that different wraps will give you.

Which then suggests that by picking the right wraps you can squat more weight than you could without them, therefore in my book they're supportive and not raw.

Sleeves, provided you can wear them for an hour, two hours or whatever without taking them off won't provide the same benefit.

I don't give a **** if people wear wraps or not, but I don't consider them raw.

If I enter a comp and the rules allow them to be worn and still considered raw, I'm wearing them. But I wouldn't call it a raw squat.

Also, before anyone mentions the belt thing and raw lifting...

All things being equal, once you wear a belt, it doesn't matter if you put a different but similar belt on. You won't get a additional carryover.

The same can't be said for wraps - there's degrees and ranges of weight that different wraps will give you.

Which then suggests that by picking the right wraps you can squat more weight than you could without them, therefore in my book they're supportive and not raw.

Sleeves, provided you can wear them for an hour, two hours or whatever without taking them off won't provide the same benefit.

I don't give a **** if people wear wraps or not, but I don't consider them raw.

If I enter a comp and the rules allow them to be worn and still considered raw, I'm wearing them. But I wouldn't call it a raw squat.

That's your opinion and I see the reasoning in it. Not the gold standard whatsoever.

I consider it raw if a raw division in any particular fed allows. My opinion is it's raw 2.5m wraps though not the 3m beasts.

My opinion and couldn't care if no1 agrees or disagrees!

My 2c - very few people will have or use knee wraps anyway. Competition raw is fed specific obviously, but for the purposes of this a raw squat should be belt, wrist wraps and neoprene knee sleeves a lá IPF (Tommy Kono or rehbands).

I love my knee wraps (all 7 pairs of them) and my knee sleeves (the elite single ply, double ply, APT heavy sleeves, strengthshop single plys, rehbands and generic cotton ones) and the only ones I'd consider fair to compare with the average gym goer/casual boards reader is the rehbands. Feds themselves are starting to distinguish between 'raw' and 'raw with wraps'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I assume all lifts should take place in 2014? Also, can we have a max clean as well as clean and jerk section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

If I wear my wraps for an hour without taking them off and post a video can I wear them? DVT and gangrene aside?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Edwardius Any chance of getting this up and ready by end of this week (Friday Jan 31st)? The new year resolution fizz will have run flat and proper training starts from Feb 1st. Perhaps just copy the relevant posts from the 2009 thread, clean them up slightly and away we go. Keep setup work to a minimum.

Hanley: IPF raw = just knee sleeves, not wraps.

dylbert: yeah, just lifts from 2014. Motivate people to keep on top of their game versus re-living past glories (talking about myself here).

Hanley: IPF raw = just knee sleeves, not wraps.

I know. I was being facetious.

Edwardius Any chance of getting this up and ready by end of this week (Friday Jan 31st)? The new year resolution fizz will have run flat and proper training starts from Feb 1st. Perhaps just copy the relevant posts from the 2009 thread, clean them up slightly and away we go. Keep setup work to a minimum.

Imma do this tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Edwardius wrote: »
    Imma do this tomorrow.
    Jinx!!! I was up to my eyeballs and will be until Monday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

How's this look? I can add/change it if needed.

POWERLIFTING

Squat – Male & Female Combined
    Name|Sex|Weight Lifted (kg)|Video Evidence|Bodyweight (kg)|Wilks Rating
    Lifter 1|||||
    Lifter 2|||||
    Lifter 3|||||
    Lifter 4|||||
    Lifter 5|||||

Bench – Male & Female Combined
    Lifter 1|||||
    Lifter 2|||||
    Lifter 3|||||
    Lifter 4|||||
    Lifter 5|||||

Deadlift – Male & Female Combined
    Lifter 1|||||
    Lifter 2|||||
    Lifter 3|||||
    Lifter 4|||||
    Lifter 5|||||

WEIGHTLIFTING

Snatch – Male
    Name|Weight Lifted (kg)|Video Evidence|Bodyweight (kg)|Sinclair Rating
    dylbert|55|link|71|72.67
    Lifter 2||||
    Lifter 3||||
    Lifter 4||||
    Lifter 5||||

Snatch – Female
    Lifter 1||||
    Lifter 2||||
    Lifter 3||||
    Lifter 4||||
    Lifter 5||||

Clean & Jerk – Male
    Lifter 1||||
    Lifter 2||||
    Lifter 3||||
    Lifter 4||||
    Lifter 5||||

Clean & Jerk – Female
    Lifter 1||||
    Lifter 2||||
    Lifter 3||||
    Lifter 4||||
    Lifter 5||||

Power Clean – Male
    Lifter 1||||
    Lifter 2||||
    Lifter 3||||
    Lifter 4||||
    Lifter 5||||

Power Clean – Female
    Lifter 1||||
    Lifter 2||||
    Lifter 3||||
    Lifter 4||||
    Lifter 5||||

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

So, with all the BW and Sinclair stuff being paid attention to (rightly so) are the videos gonna show people stepping on a scale before their lifts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So, with all the BW and Sinclair stuff being paid attention to (rightly so) are the videos gonna show people stepping on a scale before their lifts?

Not only that but I'm gonna film the dump that takes my deadlift from 2 x BW to 3 x BW

Just make sure to use enough triple ply to get your posterior chain totally Raw.

Just make sure to use enough triple ply to get your posterior chain totally Raw.

Single or double ply just doesn't cut it in the hole.

Of a squat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I love my knee wraps (all 7 pairs of them) and my knee sleeves (the elite single ply, double ply, APT heavy sleeves, strengthshop single plys, rehbands and generic cotton ones) and the only ones I'd consider fair to compare with the average gym goer/casual boards reader is the rehbands.
    I think that's the most important comment on the whole raw vs wraps raw debate.
    If certain Feds allow wraps for raw, thats all well and good. But everyone enter that comp will be aware of this, they'll all compete in PL and most will likely own wraps.
    Where-as here, I'd say the majority of people posting lists are casual gym-goers. There will already be a gap between casual lifter and competitors, seems unnecessary to widen it by allowing wraps.

Seriously though how are you verifying people don't weigh like 4kg over what they're claiming? A situation where people have to just guess "I suppose he looks close to 100kg, give or take. I couldn't be positive enough to call bull**** and everyone on the forum will moan if I do" based on appearance in a video or something would be fairly crap. It's just a leaderboard of absolute weights otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Seriously though how are you verifying people don't weigh like 4kg over what they're claiming? A situation where people have to just guess "I suppose he looks close to 100kg, give or take. I couldn't be positive enough to call bull**** and everyone on the forum will moan if I do" based on appearance in a video or something would be fairly crap. It's just a leaderboard of absolute weights otherwise.
    There is an element of trust on what weight is actually on the bars as well so I don't see why that shouldn't apply to the lifter's weight as well.

If you're going to lie about your weight to get on a leaderboard on Boards, you need to have a word with yourself.

If you're going to lie about your weight to get on a leaderboard on Boards, you need to have a word with yourself.
    Well we're assuming people are gonna care enough in the first place to record and submit videos for a leaderboard on Boards, so people probably already need to have some kind of a slightly less severe word with themselves.

• Advertisement

Well we're assuming people are gonna care enough in the first place to record and submit videos for a leaderboard on Boards, so people probably already need to have some kind of a slightly less severe word with themselves.

A lot of the people that are going to be on the leaderboard record their lifts anyway. It's not like they do it to get on the Boards table.

"record and submit"

Just saying: it's not that big a stretch to think some people might see a point in being quietly lenient on themselves. In order to look better on the internet; obscure little corner of it or not. An implausibly sad goal but if you put your cynical thinking hat on for a minute like me, it's also not that hard to think of other reasons why.

inb4 anyone in particular here already thinks I'm talking about them (I'm not).

We're obviously taking this on faith though, grand. Just should be borne in mind or disclaimed -> *bodyweight numbers taken on faith to a fair extent*

"record and submit"

Just saying: it's not that big a stretch to think some people might see a point in being quietly lenient on themselves. In order to look better on the internet; obscure little corner of it or not. An implausibly sad goal but if you put your cynical thinking hat on for a minute like me, it's also not that hard to think of other reasons why.

inb4 anyone in particular here already thinks I'm talking about them (I'm not).

We're obviously taking this on faith though, grand. Just should be borne in mind or disclaimed -> *bodyweight numbers taken on faith to a fair extent*

Again, most of the videos are posted in the training logs already.

Yes, there's trust involved and if someone lies to get on the table or to get higher on the table, then so be it.

But what has anyone lost or gained?

Maybe it's because I'm not going to be on the table or maybe it's because I wouldn't be lying....I just don't think most people would.

Jesus is anyone going to put up a f*cking video or is everyone just planning on arguing semantics forever

What a ****ing joke this has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Right so, 55kg snatch @71kg, sinclair 72.67,
    I assume power snatches count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvP7I9C56s

In case anyone thought I was gonna get all worried over people's bona fides without actually being game for posting up...

Deadlift 250 @91
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBjJ5cbbTY
    wrote:
    What a ****ing joke this has become.
    Sounds about right, and yet dylbert's the only one so far not guilty of just idly debating stuff.

@91kg again, 220kg squat in 2ply knee sleeves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqgkYkldCE

Those are barely recent though; November.

Look, this is a bit of fun. If anyone wants verification of bodyweight or bars and plates go compete where these things are up to that standard.

There is a certain element of trust in this, if anyone doesn't like it they don't have to participate. I hope people do.

I'm going to lock this thread this evening, open a new one with the leader board in the first post and that thread can be used for discussion etc. I'll also post rules as they've been posted here and in the original thread.

I'll update your post dylbert. Darts it's from 2014 on.

Would it be possible to merge it with a similar thread over on the health & fitness forum or something like that?

More people more fun

Would it be possible to merge it with a similar thread over on the health & fitness forum or something like that?

More people more fun

Not sure tbh. The mods on H&F can't edit threads here and myself and Ed likewise. I'll post over there and link to here. If Brian or anyone can something, grand.

Closing this now and starting the new one. Good luck to everyone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement