Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Odometer on my bike ticked over to 50,000km today

Options
  • 24-01-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Today, the odometer on my bike ticked over to 50,000km. I felt I should mark this milestone in some meaningful way - and a Boards post feels like a suitable way.

efrl.jpg

I've cycled everywhere for most of my life. I remember getting lifts to school "back in the day" early in primary school, and genuinely remember the shock on the 1st of September around 4th class (I would have been about 10) when my mother said to us "Right - no more lifts to school. I'll buy you bikes or you can walk". And that was that. I cycled right through secondary school. And then for four years in and out of Dublin city to college (I mastered the art of safely cycling in traffic going up George's Street and down Dame Street during those years). When I started work 6 and a half years ago, I just kept with the flow. It was at this point that I bought an odometer for the bike to see how far I was actually cycling. Given that I had been cycling for about 12 years at that point, I imagine the true figure is somewhere around 120,000km - but we have to start counting somewhere!
    In hindsight - kicking me out of the car was probably the single biggest gift to get from a parent. Suddenly there was an "outside world". It's funny how the confines of a car separates you from the outside world. I realised that the world didn't consist of just "home", "the car" and "school".. But there was actually somewhere in between. With different routes that you could choose between.. And weather.. Suddenly I had the ability to explore places on the bike.

It wasn't long before I was having all sorts of adventures. I started cycling recreationally up in the mountains, raced Ironman Switzerland and the many, many, many miles of cycling in the Wicklow mountains to train for it:
    4837641935_5fa60d37e4_b%5B1%5D%5B4%5D.jpg

I cycled from Dublin to Dingle to go on holidays one year :
    CycleToKerry-1%5B1%5D%5B3%5D.jpg

During the Big Freeze in December 2010, there was a week a half where the roads in South West Dublin were covered in a foot and a half of snow and compacted ice, and impassable to any vehicle. Mountain bike was literally the only way to get around, and that I did! It was quite surreal making the 11km cycle to work on completely empty roads. You get quite fast at cycling in snow after a few days, it turns out, with a cycle / jump off and carry the bike combination where the snow got too deep to cycle through.

When I got married, I was damned if I was posting all of the invitations, so we created a twelve man cycle currier race to deliver the invitations around Dublin by bike. Time was assigned per invitation delivered, per km between invitations, as well as "tea time" when dropping into houses, and we set off in a staggered fashion with the winner being the first person crossing the finishing line having delivered all of his/her invitations. It turned out to be great craic, and a good talking point at the wedding.

Some personal musings on fifty thousand kilometres in the saddle:

Health: Does a large amount of cycling effect male fertility? I'm probably in a unique enough position to blast this one out of the water. I had been cycling for 12 years when I took part in a study on the effect of exercise on the body. Among other things, for the males participating, the two main factors in male fertility, sperm count and mobility, were measured. The people who exercised regularly scored significantly higher than those who didn't, and the subcategory of those who "cycled regularly" scored higher again than people who didn't. It seems if you want to be less fertile, chose a sedentary method of transport. The cardiovascular performance results of the study showed very clearly that people who walked or cycled to get around were in much better shape than people who drove or took another exercise-free method. I guess it's a funny quirk of human risk perception that many people see cycling as dangerous when your life expectancy actually goes up as soon as you start cycling. We seem to lack the long range risk perception to appreciate how badly obesity can damage our health/quality of life, or that of our children.

Safety: Although it's hard to deny that there are risks to cycling on the roads - I think there are a few things you can do to bring the chances of getting in an accident down to almost zero (less than that of being in a car accident anyway). I've come to observe a few principles to reduce risk as much as possible:
    • I observe that almost all of the "close calls" I've had have been due to left turning vehicles. Vehicles mostly turn left at junctions with other roads (when turning into drive ways, they seem to check their mirrors more than at junctions so this is less of a risk). That means there's only a small time that they'll occupy an area where you could come in contact with them. If you imagine a box to the front left of a car, that's where they'll turn into. If you never enter this box at a junction, you will never be in the position that you could be hit. I find that with very little energy waste, I can avoid ever entering that front left position of a car at a junction, thereby removing the highest risk point on the road. That alone probably reduces my chances of an accident by 75%. x7q0.png
    • Obey the rules of the road. If you show respect to motorists and other cyclists, you'll get a lot more back.
    • You hear this one a lot but most people still don't seem to do it - don't cycle right on the curb. Cycle a .5 to 1m out from it. If you cycle right beside the curb, cars will go by without waiting for a safe space to overtake and inevitably have to pull in on top of you when a car comes in the opposite direction. Cycling a little further out isn't "selfish". It reduces the chances of an accident for everyone around you.
    • Don't ever enter go within a door's-opening-width of a parked car. Even if it means moving into the middle of a traffic lane - if you're never in that space, you'll never be caught by an unexpected opening door.
    • Don't ever go up the inside of a Heavy Goods Vehicle. It may cost 2 or 3 minutes every tenth cycle, but given that almost all cyclists killed are due to left turning HGVs, if you observe this one alone, you probably cut your chances of being killed on the road to virtually zero.

Finance of cycling: We have one car in our household, and averaging the last 5 years (not including the initial purchase of the car) it costs €5427 a year to run between Tax, Insurance, Maintenance, Petrol and Sundry. My cycling to work and everywhere else has removed the need for a second car. In the six and a half years since I started working where I do, that's saved €35,275.50 and counting. I never thought about how much I saved while cycling into college for 4 years, because I probably wouldn't have been able to afford the bus anyway, but it would have been something like €4.40 per day x 260 weekdays a year x 4 years = €4,576. In terms of the cost of cycling, I've spent about €100 a year on components and maintenance (versus €5427 for a car). I bought this book many moons ago, along with a maintenance tool kit and a stand in Lidl, and have done most of my own servicing since. In terms of reducing component costs - the brakes are the only thing that wares out with regularity. I bought these brake shoes, and can just slip in new brake pads (these) - every 2-3 months. I haven't noticed any difference between these and more expensive V-brake options, and the price is certainly right.

It's certainly been a long road, but it's been a fun one. At my current rate, you can expect a "The Odometer on my bike ticked over to 100,000km today" post on the 18th June, 2020!

Here's to the next 50,000km!

Conor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Really good post! Congrats on the milestone!

I find your observations on safety are spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Very good post well written thanks for taking the time to share

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Conor20: I am in awe here with you. That's one massive achievement to firstly tick over the 50,000km and beyond; but also the history to where you have reached the point you're currently at.

Hope you are proud of yourself :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Very interesting post, some good observations and what a great milestone. Chapeau good sir!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Great post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Excellent, congratulations!

I will the detailed reading for the evening :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Congratulations...well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well done, great post, inspirational.
    But did you have to mention The IronMan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Just thinking 50k should entitle you to a new bike purchase:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I got thoroughly jealous at all this talk of MTBing along abandoned snow roads.

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's only 31068.56 in miles.

:pac:

Wish I'd cycled 31068.56 miles.....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Congrats! Really nice post to read on a friday morning! I'm gonna look into those brake shoes and pads now! Thanks!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

well done sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Very nice post. :)
    Sometimes people say tl,dr (too long, didn't read).
    Your post was ..... too short, I read it all, and want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

And in one swift moment, the whole boards cycling community was shamed :pac:

Sweet thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Great post ..well done

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Either I met you on my commute yesterday (nice save!) or some else also hit 50000kms recently too!

Well done, great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Great post, should be a must-read for anyone who's unsure about starting cycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

Well done Connor. I've done a good few of them KM's at your side! Many more to come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Great post!
    It's like that tingly Friday feeling...
    So glad I cycled this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Congratulations. Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Fair play Conor. I was a long time fair weather commuter and recreational cyclist. Sold my car last July and have clocked up somewhere in region of 4,000 kms on the new Giant defy I got through cycle to work. I absolutely love it, feeling much fitter, gotten into to doing my own servicing (thanks YouTube), and saving a load over driving.
    Most people at work seem totally surprised that I commute by bicycle. I am the only person in the building I work (250 people approx) who cycles, even though I know a fair few who live a lot closer then me.
    You're cycling safety tips are very good and staying out a metre from kerb and watching out for left turning hgvs are advice I'd always pass on to other cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ulick

What a wonderful post. Well done on getting to that landmark.

Your safety tip in relation to going up the insude of HGV's is one I follow myslef and all urban/commuting cyclists should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

My legs got tired reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Carpenter wrote: »
    My legs got tired reading this

Your legs can read?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I wonder how many kilos heavier you would be if you ate the same amount but didn't cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Well done man.
    I did with Christmas cards what you did with wedding invites one winter. It ended up better than a stag night!
    So how many bikes in the shed? Any big falls, cycling into parked cars....that sort of story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Time for a hip replacement maybe? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Great post, well done Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Really enjoyed reading that, thank you for taking the time to share it here!!

Advertisement