Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Garda Fitness

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

wonder when they'll need to recruit big numbers again?

What's the story with the fluent irish speakers.. might aswell hire fluent polish or chinese speakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

carzony wrote: »

What's the story with the fluent irish speakers.. might aswell hire fluent polish or chinese speakers...

They'll be stuck in the gealtachts(f**k that). Was already said that gards that can't speak irish are stationed in the gealtachts so I presume they are trying to fix this.

Did I hear they are testing ever candidate in Irish or just the fluent ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Are you actually trying to stir SHlT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Only if you clicked fluent in irish, I think if you have to prove your competency e.g you don't have irish in leaving they test you aswell.

D Trent wrote: »

no...............

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

D Trent wrote: »

Thought it was a fair comment

There will be quota for both of the above am in no doubt . Also any other of the foreign population demographic such as Romanian, Nigerian , Arabic etc. any candidates with linguistic skills will have a definite advantage

Raider190 wrote: »
    There will be quota for both of the above am in no doubt . Also any other of the foreign population demographic such as Romanian, Nigerian , Arabic etc. any candidates with linguistic skills will have a definite advantage

which only makes sense i suppose.. The more people you can communicate with the better..

Enda Kenny only said they predict a massive improvement in the economy so that should help with recruitment.

• Advertisement

which only makes sense i suppose.. The more people you can communicate with the better..

Enda Kenny only said they predict a massive improvement in the economy so that should help with recruitment.

You are right day to day Gardai are presented with both suspected offenders and injuries parties who don't speak English . It would be so helpful to have the language skills to be able to deal with such situations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Well if Enda says it then it must be true

Really don't think an improvement will make a difference in recruitment. We are so tied into European agreements the total number of AGS will not rise above 13000 for a very long time. The fact of the matter is that we do not need 300+ Gardai ........ We need 3500. Crime is out of control and we don't have the number of front line Gardai to deal with the problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Raider190 wrote: »
    Really don't think an improvement will make a difference in recruitment. We are so tied into European agreements the total number of AGS will not rise above 13000 for a very long time. The fact of the matter is that we do not need 300+ Gardai ........ We need 3500. Crime is out of control and we don't have the number of front line Gardai to deal with the problem

Are you willing to pay more tax to fund this? I'm not. They should get in and clear up the waste in the Garda service.
    Crime figures are showing an improvement and are far better than they were when they Garda force was 15000 was worse . When the figure was 15000 they just continue to manufacture new units to soak up the manpower. Why should the Gardaí be handling immigration etc.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Are you willing to pay more tax to fund this? I'm not. They should get in and clear up the waste in the Garda service.
    Crime figures are showing an improvement and are far better than they were when they Garda force was 15000 was worse . When the figure was 15000 they just continue to manufacture new units to soak up the manpower. Why should the Gardaí be handling immigration etc.

Nobody wants to pay more tax I am sure of that. As for the crime figures there lies ,damn lies and statistics. I see the human wreckage left behind by criminals and I think why is the system not working. Perhaps the system needs to be revamped and be designed as a fit for purpose model.

I do agree the Gardai should be focused on crime and the likes of immigration should be handled by a border agency like the UK. There are a number of issues with a police force that such a wide remit as AGS. Perhaps like the UK we should have a county by county police force or maybe we are just not a big enough country for that type of policing model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Santa Cruz wrote: »

They should get in and clear up the waste in the Garda service.

I agree with the above fully

although more man power is needed, there is so much reform needed throughout AGS

its crying out for an overhaul.

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »

although more man power is needed, there is so much reform needed throughout AGS

I think we would all agree but will it happen. The Garda inspectorate was initiated in order to advise on such matters but seems to have very little effect. Perhaps what we need is a civilian chief operations officer ,an expert in change management who would champion a root to branch review of the entire service. This would allow the commissioner to concentrate on the policing issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

WilcoOut wrote: »

Agree totally,

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

When you join the AGS you should really have to do fitness test every 3-5 years some garda look very unfit IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

When you join the AGS you should really have to do fitness test every 3-5 years some garda look very unfit IMO

More like every 12 months imo.

In the British Army there are regular fitness tests and standards which have to be maintained.

If you do not meet them then I believe you can be suspended etc.

Jesus, I ran five minutes around the corner today and I'm really in bad shape.. chest sore and legs throbbing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Jesus, I ran five minutes around the corner today and I'm really in bad shape.. chest sore and legs throbbing :(

every journey starts with one step!

try get round the other corner tnite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

An interesting read. Compulsory fitness testing was introduced in Police forces in England and Wales last year. Surely it is only a matter of time before it is introduced here?

Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26157384

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What are the requirements for what is counted as a correctly performed sit up? The video that is posted at the start of the thread shows the woman doing what I would call a sit-up and the man doing what I would call a crunch

This might be a stupid question but for the push ups when it says no time limit, it still means only 1 set right? (just checking)

Advertisement