Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discretionary Bands

Options
  • 24-01-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

How do these work? m looking to graduate with a 2:2 so is the minimum I need 2.50?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Copied this from Student Academic Admin:

Awards will be at one of the following classifications:
    Award Classification Cumulative QCA

First class honours 3.40
    Second class honours grade 1 (2.1) 3.00
    Second class honours grade 2 (2.2) 2.60
    Third class honours 2.00

Notwithstanding the provisions of 2.6.2 above, the Academic Council Examination Board may consider a candidate whose final cumulative QCA is not more than 0.10 less than the QCA required for a first class, 2.1 or 2.2 classification and who satisfies the other requirements for the proposed award

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ryanf1 wrote: »
    How do these work? m looking to graduate with a 2: so is the minimum I need 2.50?

It doesn't mean you'll get it though. best thing to do is just put in a big an effort as possible and get as close as you can to it, might turn out you get passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

garv123 wrote: »
    It doesn't mean you'll get it though. best thing to do is just put in a big an effort as possible and get as close as you can to it, might turn out you get passed it.
    im on 2.28 at the minute so its a big ask but I have to try

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I think the course director is the one that recommends you to be bumped up, but I'm not sure. SI just remember my friend got an email a while after the results last year saying that she was being recommended for the 2.2 (she was on maybe 2.54 or something) and that's what she ended on. So, I think that if you just work your ass off, you'll get it, as has been said on this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

im on 2.28 at the minute so its a big ask but I have to try

I didnt mean for that to sound like you wouldnt get 2.5 but they might not give you the 2.2 if you do get 2.5 is what i meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

2w69efp.jpg

Sorry for the large size of the image, but according to this, a first class honours requires a QCA of 3.60 and not 3.40, unless Kemmy Business School has different requirements to the rest of the University.
    1moreyr wrote: »
    Copied this from Student Academic Admin:

Awards will be at one of the following classifications:
    Award Classification Cumulative QCA

First class honours 3.40
    Second class honours grade 1 (2.1) 3.00
    Second class honours grade 2 (2.2) 2.60
    Third class honours 2.00

Notwithstanding the provisions of 2.6.2 above, the Academic Council Examination Board may consider a candidate whose final cumulative QCA is not more than 0.10 less than the QCA required for a first class, 2.1 or 2.2 classification and who satisfies the other requirements for the proposed award

Do they take into account personal circumstances regarding individual students when making a decision? I'm registered with the disability service so maybe tha might make a difference.

Do they take into account personal circumstances regarding individual students when making a decision? I'm registered with the disability service so maybe tha might make a difference.

I would imagine they would be fair and consider individual circumstances. No harm in asking either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

1huge1 wrote: »

Sorry for the large size of the image, but according to this, a first class honours requires a QCA of 3.60 and not 3.40, unless Kemmy Business School has different requirements to the rest of the University.

No, but there is no grade between A2 and B1. If you get A2 100% of the time then you will definitely get a 1.1 but if you get an A2-B1 average (3.6+3.2)/2 then you also get a 1.1......Barely....

No, but there is no grade between A2 and B1. If you get A2 100% of the time then you will definitely get a 1.1 but if you get an A2-B1 average (3.6+3.2)/2 then you also get a 1.1......Barely....

That makes sense, actually puts me in contention for a first if that's the case. Thanks very much!

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    I would imagine they would be fair and consider individual circumstances. No harm in asking either way.
    Who would be best to ask?

Who would be best to ask?

I suppose the SAA is always a good place to start in these situations.

Pop into their office next week, be early though as I'd say it will be busy...

I have to go there to get a form signed anyway

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

As the name suggest, its down to the opinion of the your lectures. I was 0.5 away from a 1.1, most departments would have brought be up as I was well inside the discretionary band. However the physic department only brings people up if their are 0.2 away.

Advertisement