Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions to stop bed stealing?

• 24-01-2014 12:49pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Her ladyship (JRT x) has taken over the last few weeks to stealing Rusty's (Collie x) bed. He has the biggest bed obviously and is much thicker to support him as he's getting older.

They both sleep in our bedroom and she has several beds in there as well. She goes to sleep in her own bed but in the middle of the night gets up and kicks him out - he's a big scaredy cat and will not share with her.

I want to stop her stealing his bed! He ends up sleeping on the floor - or attempting to sleep on her tiny bed.

She has a crate but we have never confined her to it at night, so not sure if it would be an option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Could be anything, dominance, coziness, size, a whole heap of things. I am not too experienced in this area, so I personally would try getting two identical beds, or one large enough for the two of them and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Karlitto wrote: »
    Could be anything, dominance, coziness, size, a whole heap of things. I am not too experienced in this area, so I personally would try getting two identical beds, or one large enough for the two of them and see.

There's no such thing as dominance. She's not trying to take over, she obviously just finds it cosier, more comforable and it may smell nicer for her to sit on. Perhaps there's a slight draught where her bed is positioned and she may feel more cocooned in the large bed. I would get two beds the same size, so your collie won't draw the short straw. I have some small/medium sized beds here that I use for some whippets that are regular guests, but the big dogs always curl up in them too, it's even funnier than seeing a small dog on a big bed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

it is quite comical to watch them play musical beds esp when Rusty ends up curled in the tiny bed and she's perched on a corner in his bed.

It's a good job we have a large bedroom, will try and get another large bed and see if that works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Are either of them crate trained? If one of them was in a crate it would make bed stealing impossible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just to reiterate that this is nothing to do with dominance, a concept which is pretty outdated and, frankly tiresome at this stage.
    If you're sure the little lady is not doing this because she's uncomfortable or in a draft, I would be pretty strict with her. I know this is going to mean having a few restless nights, but if I woke to find her ousting the older boy from his bed, I would get her to go back to one of her own beds. And every time she tries to turf him out, calmly and patiently get her to move back, whether it happens by night or by day. She should give it up after a couple of nights.
    Sometimes, it's appropriate for the owner to intervene on behalf of a dog who won't/can't stand up for himself: she wouldn't chance her arm with this if he was more inclined to stand his ground, and just because he's a softie doesn't mean he has to put up her!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

DBB wrote: »
    Just to reiterate that this is nothing to do with dominance, a concept which is pretty outdated and, frankly tiresome at this stage.
    If you're sure the little lady is not doing this because she's uncomfortable or in a draft, I would be pretty strict with her. I know this is going to mean having a few restless nights, but if I woke to find her ousting the older boy from his bed, I would get her to go back to one of her own beds. And every time she tries to turf him out, calmly and patiently get her to move back, whether it happens by night or by day. She should give it up after a couple of nights.
    Sometimes, it's appropriate for the owner to intervene on behalf of a dog who won't/can't stand up for himself: she wouldn't chance her arm with this if he was more inclined to stand his ground, and just because he's a softie doesn't mean he has to put up her!

That makes a lot of sense, she's an absolute madam who is definately chancing her arm, so to speak. I'll clear a space for her bed in another corner, maybe she likes the corners?
    Thanks for the advice DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why not put them sleeping in different rooms? One in your bedroom and another ina different room and then close the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

DBB wrote: »

DBB, would it be worth putting up a sticky with some info regarding the whole dominance/alpha thing that people can read without it constantly pervading discussions such as this? With the links that you usually provide for further reading. Just a thought.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    she's an absolute madam who is definately chancing her arm, so to speak.

She's a terrier! That's her job :D
    There could be something in the corner theory, terriers often like to feel enclosed. Maybe even set up her crate with a cozy bed in it, but don't lock her into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mince Pie wrote: »
    DBB, would it be worth putting up a sticky with some info regarding the whole dominance/alpha thing that people can read without it constantly pervading discussions such as this? With the links that you usually provide for further reading. Just a thought.

Wouldn't that be great - just link to a sticky :)

You've hit the nail on the head, it works it's way into EVERY query thread there is - The way I see it is before it was completely discredited, lazy trainers used it as an explanation for every problem behaviour going.

Aggressive? - Dominance!!
    Won't let you near him with a bone - hell yeah, Dominance!!
    Humping? He's being dominant, trying to be the Alpha dog!!
    Sitting on the couch - quick, get him down, don't let him be the Alpha!! :eek:
    Pulls you on the lead? - Dominance!! Get a choke chain on him, you show him who's boss!! YOU'RE THE PACK LEADER, NOT HIM!
    Hard to toilet train? - sure, why not? Lets call it Dominance! He's marking his territory!

If it weren't so annoying it would be funny.

Edited to add - lazy trainers are still using it as an excuse!

• Advertisement

Aggressive? - Dominance!!
    Won't let you near him with a bone - hell yeah, Dominance!!
    Humping? He's being dominant, trying to be the Alpha dog!!
    Sitting on the couch - quick, get him down, don't let him be the Alpha!! :eek:
    Pulls you on the lead? - Dominance!! Get a choke chain on him, you show him who's boss!! YOU'RE THE PACK LEADER, NOT HIM!
    Hard to toilet train? - sure, why not? Lets call it Dominance! He's marking his territory!

You're forgetting...

Scared of everything? Dominant!
    Runs away from other dogs? Dominant!
    Scared of being left alone? Dominant!
    Hides in a corner when kids arrive in the house? Dominant!
    Steals the remote control from the TV? Dominant, I tells ya!

It's a good idea Mince Pie, must get around to doing that. In the interest of fairness, I could post up links to research and opinion pieces which support that dominance hierarchies do not exist, and those which support that they do. Okay, so there'll be one long list, and one very, very short list, but I can only go with the evidence out there :o

Advertisement