Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation of SSD on new pc

Options
  • 24-01-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I just bought a new pc and a SSD seperately.

I obviously want to install the OS on the SSD. I havent turned the pc on yet but it has come packaged with windows 8.

What is the best way of getting the OS onto the SSD?

If I install the SSD before I turn on, will it give me the option of installing the Windows on the SSD? Or do I need to set up windows first , install the SSD, reinstall windows on the SSD and wipe the harddrive?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Did the SSD come with cloning software? If it didn't you can probably just download it.

I got a laptop just before Xmas, and was sticking a SSD into it.

There isn't much initial set up with Windows anymore, it's a case of turning the computer on and selecting a few preferences, the actual OS will already be installed.

So turn the machine on, get into Windows then clone the drive via USB into the SSD, then open the machine, remove the HDD and stick in the SSD, should work. That's how I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You need to install the SSD, then install Windows as a fresh install - using the product key included with your new PC, you can download the Windows 8 ISO below:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=271128

And using the ISO, here's a too to install Windows by USB - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You can do this on another PC or your new PC (if the latter, don't put the SSD in first - just use Windows to download the installation files and copy to USB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

advertsfox wrote: »
    You need to install the SSD, then install Windows as a fresh install - using the product key included with your new PC, you can download the Windows 8 ISO below:

There's a much easier way than this.
    I followed this guide recently

Migrate to SSD without reinstalling Windows

For me, I always install Windows on a 30Gb partition of it's own and try to install "everything" else on a separate D: partition.

So my SSD drive was equal/larger than my current non-SSD C: partition.

Rough guide was to clone the C: partition to the new SSD disk.
    Then use a Windows repair disk correct the boot sector so it boots.
    After that, I cleaned up the old non-SSD drive and reinstalled it as a secondary drive.

(I'd a laptop with 2 drive bays)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe have a look at this optimization guide

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Thanks folks. Had some trouble with this but have it sorted now.

I tried first just installing Windows onto the ssd from the CD provided but of course I lost all of the drivers that came preinstalled which meant the display was messed up and the computer wouldn't connect to internet.

So I rebooted from the original harddrive, cloned it onto the ssd with the software provided by samsung , booted from the ssd and then wiped the original harddrive.
    Seems to be working perfectly now and booting very quick. The Samsung cloning and optimisation software seems very good a d makes the job easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement