Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food you'd have difficulty quitting

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

Having a baby Merkin on the way, there is a pretty exhaustive list of foods that are off limits for pregnant ladies. I'm absolutely crazy for all kinds of cheeses so I anticipated correctly that I would really miss soft cheeses and blue cheeses. However, I hadn't been aware of just how much shellfish I eat regularly and I'm really craving it at the moment. Delicious delights like crab, prawns and mussels are all off limits for the time being and I really miss them!

If you had to quit certain foods, what one food group or type of food would you really miss if you had to avoid for a while?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Congrats merkin!
    I'm missing the prego-lady good stuff like pate and nice cheese alright at the moment. Especially when matched to a lovely red wine. Read up on it though, you can eat hard blue cheeses, like stilton. Yay!

There are a few food-fads out there about dairy and gluten at the moment. It's the candida of this decade. Loads of my friends now avoid those... but I don't think I could do it.

I'd really really miss hot toast with real butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

pwurple wrote: »
    Read up on it though, you can eat hard blue cheeses, like stilton. Yay!

:eek:

Where have you been all of my life?! :D

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I know in France that women are not advised to give up stuff like cheese, they say that if you have eaten it all your life to go on eating it. I have a French friend who was horrified at what the doctors in the UK told her she couldn't have. They were all allowed in France.

Perhaps you should consider an alternative nationality for the nine months? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd miss starchy white rice very much if I were told to give them up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Floury boiled potatoes with real butter and salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Red wine. Is that a food group?

A good thick well aged steak. Life wouldn't be worth living without the option of an artery hardening hunk of rare beef once in a while.

Life without chicken would be awkward, as its probably in 60% of the meals I eat.

Minder wrote: »

A good thick well aged steak. Life wouldn't be worth living without the option of an artery hardening hunk of rare beef once in a while.

Life without chicken would be awkward, as its probably in 60% of the meals I eat.

I love rare steak too, my cooking requirement is normally wave the steak about in a warm room for a moment! Unfortunately am only allowed 'well done' (:eek:) steak for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Chocolate, chips and jalapenos!!

Merkin wrote: »
    I love rare steak too, my cooking requirement is normally wave the steak about in a warm room for a moment! Unfortunately am only allowed 'well done' (:eek:) steak for now!

I like my medium rare, if there's no blood, forget about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I gave up bread 3 weeks ago because I thought I might have a gluten intolerance (I don't) and I miss it so much!! Toasted sandwiches, toast and butter, garlic bread … I'm salivating at the thought now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Bread! I went low carb for quite a while. Before then I hadn't realised quite how many of my meals were brown bread sandwiches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Full Irish breakfasts, currys, salads, fruit, cheese. I could keep going with this list I like so many foods. Good thread :-)

Minder wrote: »

Yes, also one of your five-a-day because it has grapes in it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I take my steak rare, and still do in pregnancy. Bacteria live on the outside, not the inside of steak. Searing kills the risky bit.

Unless I was in some place were they were bashing it or marinading maybe, but a run of the mill steak should be fine. Don't be torturing yourself with shoe-leather at all. Burgers are a different story, but as long as steak is seared on the outside and from a reputable source it's all good.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/meat.aspx
    You can eat whole cuts of beef or lamb when they are pink inside – or "rare" – as long as they are cooked on the outside. This is because any bacteria are generally on the outside of the meat.
    These meats include:
    steaks
    cutlets
    joints

I need you on speed-dial pwurple, between Stilton and rare steaks I'll be happy as Larry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Not being able to eat soft boiled or poached eggs would make me cry. I absolutely love them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I thought I'd never be able to give up sugar, but I've been off it successfully for over 2 weeks now.

Savoury-wise, I'd be really upset if I couldn't eat prawns ever again. I LOVE prawns.

Faith wrote: »
    I thought I'd never be able to give up sugar, but I've been off it successfully for over 2 weeks now.

Savoury-wise, I'd be really upset if I couldn't eat prawns ever again. I LOVE prawns.

Are you using Splenda as a substitute in baking Faith or have you just blanket banned all "sweetness"? You should start a thread on it, I'd be really interested to hear how you are getting on - there was a documentary on recently re sugar being highly addictive and it was terrifying!! If you're interested, I will send you on my recipe for a flourless, sugar-free squidgy chocolate cake which is really delicious!

Are you using Splenda as a substitute in baking Faith or have you just blanket banned all "sweetness"? You should start a thread on it, I'd be really interested to hear how you are getting on - there was a documentary on recently re sugar being highly addictive and it was terrifying!! If you're interested, I will send you on my recipe for a flourless, sugar-free squidgy chocolate cake which is really delicious!

Actually whats your opinion on Splenda? I started using it in my coffee instead of sugar. I heard it was better than candrel.

I agree with Merkin, start a thread!!! I'm really curious now. :P

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    Actually whats your opinion on Splenda? I started using it in my coffee instead of sugar. I heard it was better than candrel.

I use it in tea and coffee and also sometimes in baking if I want to use a sugar substitute. It is sucralose based so wayyy more natural than aspartame. I am pregnant and periodically used candarel but didn't want to use it while pregnant as it's not good for the foetus - I personally think Splenda is a great substitute, it tastes like sugar and doesn't leave that awfully bitter aftertaste that you get with aspartame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No substitutes, so I've stopped baking for the moment too :(. When I feel like I've rid my body of it, I might reintroduce baking or desserts for special occasions, but I know I must never go back to the way I was. I'm typically eating less than 25g of sugar a day now, which is a fraction of what I used eat!

Will you send me the recipe, just out of curiosity?
    maguic24 wrote: »
    I agree with Merkin, start a thread!!! I'm really curious now. :P

I'm happy to start a thread somewhere but what is it you're curious about specifically?

No substitutes, so I've stopped baking for the moment too :(. When I feel like I've rid my body of it, I might reintroduce baking or desserts for special occasions, but I know I must never go back to the way I was. I'm typically eating less than 25g of sugar a day now, which is a fraction of what I used eat!

Will you send me the recipe, just out of curiosity?

I'm happy to start a thread somewhere but what is it you're curious about specifically?

What you eat, everything seems to have sugar in it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't eat carbs most of the time and I do miss them quite a bit.

Pitta bread and pasta in particular.

Advertisement