Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Air US Version

• 24-01-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I was thinking about buying a 32GB iPad Air and came across this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G4DSSCO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1390565016&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

It appears to be a US version but it works out roughly €80 cheaper than buying one off the Apple store here. Would the only difference be the plug socket or would there be any other difference to it from buying one here? I have a 3 prong USB Apple plug already so could charge it off that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

All wifi iPad Airs are the same model number so they're identical. Pick one up and get yourself a three prong charger and you're laughing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Am I right in saying you should look for the beefer plug though. You know the way the iPad charges at a higher voltage or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

kceire wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you should look for the beefer plug though. You know the way the iPad charges at a higher voltage or something.

Yeah you are right, after some research it seems the iPad needs the 12w charger, the one I have is for an iPod and is only 5w so I would need to buy one of them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just note apple won't repair or replace anything that was meant for the US if it is over here. You still have your statutory rights with the seller though.

GarIT wrote: »
    Just note apple won't repair or replace anything that was meant for the US if it is over here. You still have your statutory rights with the seller though.

They'll have no way of knowing because all iPad models are the same.

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »

They have these things called serial numbers, Apple know when the device was intended to be sold and they dont like people moving their products into other territories to save money/profit at their expense.

If they can't tell their products appart how would they even know which one is in warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I thought that only applied to 3G/LTE iPads

guil wrote: »
    I thought that only applied to 3G/LTE iPads

The warranty? Apple don't offer warranties for any of their products if not in their original territory.

The warranty? Apple don't offer warranties for any of their products if not in their original territory.

Yes they do. iPods can be replaced anywhere and they did the same for iPhones and iPads until the 4g models were released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yes we do know where it was bought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I just went ahead and bought it, hope nothing goes wrong with it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

That's simply not true. As outlined here, if the product is portable, you can obtain warranty service worldwide.

Anyway, I purchased an iPad myself in the US and brought it back to Ireland only to find it had a screen defect. I brought it in to compub and had it fixed without a problem under its worldwide warranty.

Look at the warranty page for an iPhone or iPad and you will see in bold that apple may restrict the warranty to the region the device was sold in.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ipad-english.html

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

guil wrote: »
    Look at the warranty page for an iPhone or iPad and you will see in bold that apple may restrict the warranty to the region the device was sold in.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ipad-english.html

Apple replaced my US bought iPad just before Christmas. I bought it in Georgetown when I was over there with work (for a few weeks).

It was an iPad3 with 4G and they replaced like for like. Customer service in Scotland had to put me through to the US but the scottish staff told me if it was a wifi model they could have replaced it themselves. Overall, an extra day's wait but one happy customer.

Must depend who ya get so. A couple of users here said apple support told them they wouldn't take it back because it was a US model. Maybe the staff in the shops can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Can anyone advise what is the current situation with buying an iPad Air 2 in the U.S. with mobile data? Are all models now global or does one have to specify a GSM model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

This is not true I myself have had apple products from the US repaired and replaced here and so have people that I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Bored_lad wrote: »
    This is not true I myself have had apple products from the US repaired and replaced here and so have people that I know.

Yes, of course they will, you are quite right. The problem stems from replacing like with like and if you wander into a European Apple Store with an American-flavoured mobile device, then they simply don't have a replacement for it. A couple of years back too, there were different variants of LTE hence their introduction of the "may not replace' line in the global warranty.

This is what has promoted my question above.

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, of course they will, you are quite right. The problem stems from replacing like with like and if you wander into a European Apple Store with an American-flavoured mobile device, then they simply don't have a replacement for it. A couple of years back too, there were different variants of LTE hence their introduction of the "may not replace' line in the global warranty.

This is what has promoted my question above.

I'm only saw your question there and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. As far as I understand there are two different bands used for 4g one is used by carriers in the US and a different one is used by Irish and European carriers. Depending on the company producing the device they may choose for it to work for 4g in both markets or only one. If they choose only one you will only be able to get up to 3g in the other market. I know this as I bought a US Nexus 5 that was unable to use 4g in Ireland there were issues with the device and it was replaced with the EU version which can use 4g here. The best advice is to check either email or ring apple or do a quick Google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

So the situation is Apple may not repair a device bought outside a region you are looking to get repair if the device has ability to connect to cellular networks. This was there mainly as Apple do not have the replacement parts of say a US iPhone in the Ireland. However since the iPhone 5S, and now the 6, this is not a problem anymore.

So the situation has slowly changed but the wording of " may restrict" still applies.

The one area that is still a negative is loosing your 6 years of consumer rights, which I have used twice with Apple directly on my iPhone 5. Consumer rights only protects you for 6 years from the point of purchase, if the point of purchase was in Ireland.

So honestly, for the sake of 80euro in my own findings, having 6 years protection ( not a warranty mind you ) is worth it. To others it's the lowest price.

Irish price for iPad Air 2 16GB with cellular without Irish VAT $561.

Us price for iPad Air 2 16GB with cellular without sales tax is $629

So in Ireland the iPad Air 2 16GB with cellular is $70 CHEAPER from Apple. Blame the Irish government for the extra 23% VAT. IN US depending on states this can be as low as 7% or as high as 18%.

To sum up, Apple charge a few % more on the Mac range in Europe than in the US. Remember always to take away the VAT rate on the Apple store and then translate that price to dollars, and then compare.

• Advertisement

Don't bother taking the VAT off the Irish products before comparing as your going to have to pay this. The price you posted above is misleading because there is no VAT. In the US as Vat is decided on state level people may be visiting states where there is no sales tax Oregon or other states. The sales tax in all the states also as far as I know is less than out Vat rate so you will be saving there.

Also I Apple will replace the product even if it was bought in the US if it is a legitimate fault. The parts are identical in nearly all products. Lastly can you please point me to where it says your consumer rights run out after six years as that is a new one I've never heard before. Haha

Lastly can you please point me to where it says your consumer rights run out after six years as that is a new one I've never heard before. Haha

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

You also took the prices direct from the apple website which is not the best place to go if your looking for value. For example if you go to Best Buy you will find they have the iPad Air 2 wifi cellular 16gb on sale for $579.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-air-2-wi-fi-cellular-16gb-gold/3782027.p?id=1219093519983&skuId=3782027 they will also price match other sellers including Amazon if I remember correctly. At the current exchange rate this brings the cost down to only €528.45 which is €100 cheaper than your Irish one from the Apple store.

Yes however you also have the Consumer Act which states that all goods must be of Merchantable Quality which means the quality and durability of the goods must take into account the price charged. This one usually gets you a refund/repair/replacement straight away on high value goods. Also I want a link to the Irish statue guidebook or at least Citizens Information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Don't bother taking the VAT off the Irish products before comparing as your going to have to pay this. The price you posted above is misleading because there is no VAT. In the US as Vat is decided on state level people may be visiting states where there is no sales tax Oregon or other states. The sales tax in all the states also as far as I know is less than out Vat rate so you will be saving there.

Also I Apple will replace the product even if it was bought in the US if it is a legitimate fault. The parts are identical in nearly all products. Lastly can you please point me to where it says your consumer rights run out after six years as that is a new one I've never heard before. Haha

Of course I totally agree. I was merely pointing out how many times I have seen people question why everything is more expensive here, when we take this example, Apple are selling the iPad cheaper here than in the US. In terms of profit and margins, they make less here. It is the local taxes that finalise the difference.

In other words, if you are vat registered to claim back in Ireland, but an iPad Air 2 here as it is cheaper. :):)

In fact, the iPhone is cheaper here in Ireland also now by about $30 before any taxes are applied. In fairness, you can't argue with the fundamental fact that Apple are selling these cheaper than in the US, but it is the taxation of each country, which is a local issue that is putting the price waaaaay up!

Advertisement