Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing ability

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Who can ski with their skis say 1 inch apart and ski gracefully like the locals down any grade of slope!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭trashcan

Nor me. One day, maybe. Having said that, in the last two years I think I've definitely improved a good bit. Developing more confidence as well, which comes with improved technique.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Skiing with your skis that close together isn't the current preferred method of teaching people to get down the mountain. That is all a bit old skool and for when on straight sticks, not on carvers where you should be stood with the legs shoulder width apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Teaching the snow plow is a bit pointless in my opinion, just leads to bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Skis kept close together is how I was told to ski deep powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I am still a beginner but getting there.. Been twice and am comfortable on reds but my technique needs allot of work.. I try to over power things rather than being smooth.. I done ski school my 1st week and a lesson on my 2nd trip and my partner is excellent so I have progressed allow skiing with her but I still seem to have trouble turning right....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Who can ski with their skis say 1 inch apart and ski gracefully like the locals down any grade of slope!!

To be honest it depends.... after a few beers.. yes i can infact and if im having a "good" skiing day - best feeling ever. :D

When im hungover - not a chance :cool:

Im lucky ive been 8 times now... 9th coming up in Feb.... so practice makes perfect (well after afew beers anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Lovin all the discussions Road-Hog, food for thought!!

Oh I don't know how I'd rank my skill. The OH is a serious skier (ie looks kinda funny in ordinary clothes, minus skis lol), and he really pushes me- which is good (usually!). I'll ski anything when I'm with him, but I'm not quite so brave when I'm on my own. Well... I used to be, but I got myself into a bit of a pickle in Norway a few years back from being pure cocky, and I've never forgotten the absolute paralysing fear!! And horror stories really give me the willies- I have to work hard not to let them under my skin. God I'm thinking of some now **SHUDDER!!** Eurrrgh, I do NOT want to die on the mountain (even though I know there are worse ways to go, but still... no thanks!!)

Hahaha I just re-read that. Basically I'm grand, I'll ski anything on-piste and most things off-piste, but if it's extremely steep & icy, or off-piste & unfamiliar I have to sing happy songs in my head and remember to breathe. And I never call anything 'the last run'.

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

There's neve done last run. Two last runs and then never go for the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Evelone

The skill level is directly related to experience. The more rides the higher the skill level. It's simple. I am a new practitioner, so my skills are not very good yet. But I really want to learn to ride well. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Great. This thread is 8 years old, though...

Quite interesting information, thank you! 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭trashcan

Bit weird looking back at my comments from 2014. I’m definitely a much better skier than I was then, but I still wouldn’t make any great claims about my prowess. I started in my mid forties, now I’m nearly fifty Sven, so I’d say I’m passable now. Still have never done a black though, and to be honest have no ambitions in that direction. Reds are still challenging enough thanks. Ruptured my cruciate ligament in a pretty stupid and innocuous fall in 2019 and now wear a brace, so that hasn’t helped. When I went in February this year was in quite a bit of pain. I wish I was in the condition I was in when I wrote that post in 2014, not that I was ever fit, but have lots of aches now that I didn’t have then, when I couldn’t ski as well. Frustrating. Need to try and build up the strength in my knee as I’ve booked for the new year. Fingers and toes crossed.

I have good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elacsap

Folks,

Skiing with skis an inch apart is not really where it's at!

Skiing Tips for Beginners, Intermediates and Experts - Learn to Ski (e4s.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dereksi

If you've never tried skiing, it's definitely worth a try. Do not be afraid of the stereotype that it is super dangerous and at any rate you will get hurt for lack of experience. The main thing to be sure. From me I can recommend Transfer from Geneva to Courchevel which I often use when I decide to have a cool time with my friends, I think you can appreciate it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Pfff. Skis an inch apart? You're a bunch of amateurs. I regularly get them much closer than that. I sometimes even overlap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Skis locked together only good idea for tough moguls.

and maybe powder, as too much weight on outside ski and it will sink too low.

For carving though, the locals or instructors do cruise around on a blue with skis close together,

but see them on a black it is different, then they look like a racer hip width apart.

I am now skiing 28 one week holidays, width between skis varies on slope difficulty, but normally 10cm to 50cm.

Advertisement