Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New changes to Bank of Ireland lodgement procedures

Options
  • 24-01-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

As a loyal business customer of Bank of Ireland, I am posting here to express my dissatisfaction at some recent changes in your banking procedures. I hope you can offer me some explanations and solutions to the problems and inconveniences, which have arisen for me as a result of these changes.[/font]
    I work in a sector that is primarily cash and cheque orientated. I have previously lodged most of my income using the out of hours or quick lodge facilities at the branch, and have very recently received a new issue of a lodgement book to facilitate this. I have now learned that all lodgements, unfortunately, must be made through the electronic lodgement machine in branch, and out of hours lodgements are no longer accepted.
    For the most part, I can understand the reasons why the move towards a more efficient electronic system is beneficial for BOI. As a graduate of computer science I, personally, have no problem with, and in fact, rely heavily on, the use of technology for my own business. However, there are a number of fundamental issues that have caused some concern for me, and problems for the running of my business:
    1. The changeover to exclusive electronic lodgement was never made known to me, and I can only presume, other business customers. (Did I miss a letter from you in the post?) In fact, I was assured recently by a clerk in my local branch that the out of hours facility was being maintained once the quick lodge box was removed.
    2. Why did I recently receive a lodgement book, if it is no longer functional?
    3. As a customer who used the out of hours facility frequently, I do not have the time to queue in the bank. I frequently work late nights, and the unsuitable opening hours of the branch have not been extended in line with the impractical removal of the out of hours facility.
    4. There is one lodgement machine in the branch, to be used by all personal and business customers. This is extremely impractical; I have always had to queue at the machine, and find it time expensive.
    5. For each lodgement, I need to keep individual receipts (in the interest of good book-keeping). This means that in any one trip to the bank, I might need to make up to 5 separate lodgements. This obviously takes a long time to facilitate at the machine, and causes quite a build up of the queue behind me, leaving me feeling rather uncomfortable towards the other waiting customers.
    6. To accurately keep good banking and accounting records, lodgement slips must be kept for my files. There is no facility to document a narrative for each lodgement; my only solution is to handwrite the details of each lodgement on the lodgement receipt when I return from the bank. This contrasts starkly with the convenience of being able to prepare all details in the lodgement book ahead of lodgement, and knowing the details are accurate. Similarly, the quality of the paper and ink from the electronic machine is so poor, that I wonder how long the receipt will last? Some of my receipts have already started to fade; unfortunately this will make the requirement by the revenue commissioners of keeping accounts for 6 years impossible.
    Both my wife I have business accounts with BOI, and will need to open a third business account this year. However, we are concerned about the above issues and what your contingency plans are in the event of the lodgement machine failing (as this will directly affect our ability to run our businesses efficiently). Both a cashier clerk has and a customer service rep have informed us that lodgements for business accounts can no longer be accepted by cashiers.
    We are on the verge of closing our business accounts and moving to another bank, will better suit our needs. Whether we stay or not will depend on how these issues are addressed, and what alternatives are presented to us. We like to support local enterprise, and are keen to keep doing business with our local branch and would also like to avoid the hassle of changing our bank.
    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Podgesax,

Thank you for taking the time to get in contact with us here on boards.ie.

We would like to address your concerns directly. However, before we do so can we ask you to clarify what you mean by 'out of hours'? Just to mention the night safe lodgements are still available for existing customers with the only difference being that coin can not be accepted through this channel.

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 39 podgesax

Thanks for the quick response. I have never used the night safe lodgement facility but I would consider it.

By 'out of hours' I mean the facility to make a lodgement by:
    1. sending the bank a cheque in the post with a lodgement slip or
    2. hand delivering the lodgement to the external postbox of the bank.
    Thanks,
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi podegsax[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the changes to our lodgement procedure in our branches.[/font]
    Although customers do send lodgements by post, it is not possible to include cash in these lodgements as our centralised mail room do not have the facility to credit the notes.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]The lodgement machines will allow customers to process up to 15 cheques in 1 transaction and will provide printouts of the cheques. [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]We will certainly pass on your concerns relating the quality of the receipt disepensed by our Lodgement ATM.[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]We will escalate your concerns relating to the number of lodgement ATM's in the branch.  We understand the need to conduct your banking with ease. Just to mention, we have external lodgement ATM's to facilitate customers outside branch hours in some locations. More information can be found here[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]We would ask you to contact the Business Advisor within your branch to see if they can offer an alternative relating to the lodgements or provide you with some suggestions to help you keep a record of the lodgements.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Contact details can be found here[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]You may also wish to address the Lodgement Book query with your Business Advisor as they are sent out on a trigger branch system to the customer.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]We appreciate you have taken the time to post your concerns. If we can be of further help to you please contact us here.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

Thank you for the response and for addressing the issues.

Just a couple of things I'd be grateful if you could follow up on:

• The ability to lodge 15 cheques at one transaction is certainly an advantage, but only if a clear, legible receipt is issued. Please find a recent receipt attached to this post. Unfortunately it is not possible to make out any details on the cheque. I'd appreciate if you could escalate this as a formal complaint in addition to merely 'passing on concerns.'
    • You mention "Although customers do send lodgements by post," -My branch have informed me that they cannot accept any business account lodgements by post. (including cheques) Could you let us know which BOI branches accept lodgements in the post for business account holders and which ones do not?
    • Please note that I already have raised to the issue of the lodgement books with my bank advisor. He told me that lodgement books for business accounts are 'obsolete' - can you state if this is the case or not? Again if not, I'd be much obliged if you could inform me which branches they can be used to make lodgements in and which of your branches will no longer accept them.
    • I have also raised the issue of efficient record keeping with the staff in the bank and they could offer no alternative other than to keep records on flimsy receipts provided by the machine. I posted the issue here hoping that you could provide me with some alternatives?
    • Do Bank of Ireland have any method of placing a description (narrative) on a bank statement when making a lodgement to a business account? If so could you give an outline on how to do it?
    • What is Bank of Ireland's policy with regard to communicating changes in banking procedures to its business customers? Were any of these changes communicated to customers in advance of the changes being implemented? Is it left to each individual branch whether they inform the customers or not? If we keep our bank accounts with you, can you keep us informed of future changes rather than finding out by a lodgement failure or something similar?
    [*]

Many Thanks,
    P.

Hi podgesax

Thank you for your post.

The receipt you have attached is not to the standard of the receipt that should be dispensed from the Lodgement Machine. If you would like to send us a Private Message including your name, contact number and the name of the branch we would like to look into this for you.

To assist with keeping a record of the receipts, we are aware some customers scan these onto a computer, although however we are aware you have mentioned you are unhappy with the poor quality of the receipts dispensed from the lodgement machine.

In relation to lodgement books, these can be used providing you are availing of the Priority Lodgement Service, however there is a cost involved for this.

We do send some changes of our procedures by post and also ask staff to inform customers of changes. Depending on the type of changes will sometimes depend on the form of communication to customers.

Just to mention, your Business Advisor can liaise with you on a regular basis to keep you informed of any changes to our procedures. Your Business Advisor can assist you by phone, letter or by arranging an appointment to meet and discuss these in more detail with you.

As per our talk to forum charter please see here we are unable to accept or assist with a formal complaint.
    Please see more here for information on how to raise a formal complaint.

However, we do try and address customers’ dissatisfaction related to new procedures implemented and would like to try and help you to conduct your banking with ease.

We look forward to your Private Message

Thanks
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Advertisement

Thanks Alison,
    I tried to PM you my details here but got the following error message:
    "Bank of Ireland: Alison has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Bank of Ireland: Alison from the recipient list and send the message again."

Is there another way for me to PM you?

Also could you answer my question about the narrative for lodgements on business accounts please?

How do I apply for priority lodgements? Can you post some details about it here please? I couldn't find anything about it on your website and clearly my business adviser at my branch is unaware of it.

Could you shed any light on why business account holders are required to lodge exclusively at the lodgements machine while personal customers do not? Why the discrimination? What happens in the event the machine is out of order? Can the cashiers then revert to accepting lodgements for business accounts?

Thanks for all your help with this,
    P.

Hi podgesax

I have sent you a Private Message.

Can you try send me a Private Message again please or one of the other Reps? 

Thanks
    Alison

Hi podgesax

I have sent you a Private Message.

Can you try send me a Private Message again please or one of the other Reps? 

Thanks
    Alison
    PM sent. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Hi, a follow-up question if I may....

I need to lodge cash monthly to my landlord's (business) account, to pay my rent.

What options are open to me now, please?

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi exaisle,

Thanks for posting your question.

We will be changing the way you can use Bank of Ireland services to make rental payments. From 12th March 2014 rental payments will no longer be accepted at the counter in our branches. There are various options to make the payments:
    • Standing Order - You can set up a standing order from your own bank account to your landlord.
    • Online or Phone banking - Your landlord's account can be added as a payee and you can then go online to make your payments at a time that suits you. This gives you the option of adding a reference which enables your landlord to quickly recognise any payments you make as coming from you. It is not possible to have a narrative entered on a branch lodgement. 
    • Mobile App - If your own bank account is also with us, another option would be to download our mobile app to make your payments when on the go.
    • Direct Payment - Rent payments can be made directly to your landlord or letting agent.

Up to the 12th March payments can be made at the counter however, you may find these options more convenient, as you will no longer need to take time out of your day to make a personal visit to a branch. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 KevHurley

Hi BoI

I made a lodgement to my account at a lodgement machine in Phibsborough over 2 hours ago and it still has not appeared in my account. Is there another technical issue at the moment?

Naturally, I am aggrieved that you removed the right for your business customers to make a lodgement at the counter like any other customer. I would expect that you would have an efficient technical solution however this does not appear to be the case. Sometimes my lodgements appear within a few minutes and sometimes not at all until that evening. When I make a lodgement to an AIB account with one of their machines the funds are in the account within minutes.

Are you doing anything to resolve these problems?

Regards

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Kevin[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Many thanks for posting.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can I ask if the lodgement was cash, cheques or a combination of both?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Also, can you let us know if your account is held at the Phibsborough branch and if this is the branch where you would usually make your lodgements?[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Billy [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KevHurley

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Kevin[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Many thanks for posting.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can I ask if the lodgement was cash, cheques or a combination of both?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Also, can you let us know if your account is held at the Phibsborough branch and if this is the branch where you would usually make your lodgements?[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Billy [/font]
    Hi Billy

The lodgement was a cheque lodgement. My accounts are held at Drumcondra but Phibsborough is the closest branch to us.

They lodgements hit the account about 3 hours after I made them. It is just frustrating that they take so long to appear.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thank you for the detailed information.

When using the ATM Lodgement Machines, cash will appear on your account within a few minutes of lodging. 

The cheques need to be checked individually by branch staff and this is completed at regular intervals throughout the banking day. This is the reason why there may be a delay in the credit appearing on your account for you.

We understand you are not happy with the delay and do appreciate your contact here on Boards to advise and we will certainly pass on your concerns to our Branch Network Team.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post again.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement