Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving test lifesaver procedure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Who was your "instructor"?

Aaron Rider Training

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

pegdrums wrote: »
    :) you know what i mean, if you are going round a left bend ( country driving for example) you should be in the offside position , a right bend you should be in the near side position. If the bends come in succession you kinda have to change position on the bend.

Indeed yes, I know that. You should have your positioning done before entering the bend. If we get any more into chicanes, flick-flacks and off-camber uphill bastards tightening, we'll be on about apexes, trail-braking, fronts tucking under, and all kinds of stuff that'll definitely get you failed. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Indeed yes, I know that. You should have your positioning done before entering the bend. If we get any more into chicanes, flick-flacks and off-camber uphill bastards tightening, we'll be on about apexes, trail-braking, fronts tucking under, and all kinds of stuff that'll definitely get you failed. :D

Ha! Maybe there on the advanced test!!

I guess what gets me like I said is the inconsistency.
    Test no.1 this wasn't an issue. I fixed the areas I mucked up and they were fine this time. My last tester was on a bike.

This tester was in a car.

it shouldn't be relevant but I can't help but wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:) you know what i mean, if you are going round a left bend ( country driving for example) you should be in the offside position , a right bend you should be in the near side position. If the bends come in succession you kinda have to change position on the bend.
    Road theory would say that you should maintain your position through the bends and slow down instead of changing lane position ;)

Actually an advanced driving book I read (granted it was for cars) suggested that you should hold right around left-hand bends, and hold left around right-hand bends. This gives you more visibility around the corners, and therefore more time to react to hazards. Taking the left edge of a left-hand turn reduces your ability to see around the corner.

I tried it on a left-hand bend one day in the car and nearly got wiped out by some idiot hugging the white line coming the other way. There's a difference between what works in theory and what works in practice :)

seamus wrote: »
    Road theory would say that you should maintain your position through the bends and slow down instead of changing lane position ;)

Actually an advanced driving book I read (granted it was for cars) suggested that you should hold right around left-hand bends, and hold left around right-hand bends. This gives you more visibility around the corners, and therefore more time to react to hazards. Taking the left edge of a left-hand turn reduces your ability to see around the corner.

I tried it on a left-hand bend one day in the car and nearly got wiped out by some idiot hugging the white line coming the other way. There's a difference between what works in theory and what works in practice :)

Yea thats what I was saying... Offside for left ( better visibility) and nearside for right bends. Dodgy in a car but on a bike it can give you advanced warning of whats coming.

And to obtain these on/offside positions well in a series of sweeping bends your position has to change at some point on a bend. Yea prefferab;y before the bend but sure thats another topic.

• Advertisement

Final question.

In my next test should I lifesaver before EVERY SINGLE deviation from my central position?

Since Ive done two tests and have two conflicting reports from examiners about lifesavers and when to do them Im at a loss as to who to follow.

Thanks a million for all your input, seems to be some division out there as to when EXACTLY lifesavers should be done.
    I guess the main thing is to be as observant as possible and stay safe and upright in day to day riding, while not scaring the crap out of anyone else while driving!

Cheers

One last thing about the inconsistency before my rant finally subsides!

I did my pre-test with a rider who took his test directly after me with the same examiner!
    Our instructor said I did a better run on my pre-test yet the other guy passed, and we both excersised the same practices.

If we both failed and for the same reason Id say "fair enough, we've both made the same errors and fecked it up"

Rant over............Til next test!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Final question.

In my next test should I lifesaver before EVERY SINGLE deviation from my central position?

Since Ive done two tests and have two conflicting reports from examiners about lifesavers and when to do them Im at a loss as to who to follow.

Thanks a million for all your input, seems to be some division out there as to when EXACTLY lifesavers should be done.
    I guess the main thing is to be as observant as possible and stay safe and upright in day to day riding, while not scaring the crap out of anyone else while driving!

Cheers

Yes your examiner is right.
    Mirror, Signal, Lifesaver, Move

So before you move or turn you should do a lifesaver in that direction.

Yea thats what I was saying... Offside for left ( better visibility) and nearside for right bends. Dodgy in a car but on a bike it can give you advanced warning of whats coming.

And to obtain these on/offside positions well in a series of sweeping bends your position has to change at some point on a bend. Yea prefferab;y before the bend but sure thats another topic.

That's more to do with lines, as in racing lines. Do not use that word within earshot of an RSA tester...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Yes your examiner is right.
    Mirror, Signal, Lifesaver, Move

So before you move or turn you should do a lifesaver in that direction.

Someone on here tweeked that the other day to be Mirror, Indicate, Lifesaver, Fcuking Move...... MILF.... can't stop thinking about MILFs when riding now :pac:

(The Fcuking being, as explained by whoever wrote it, to convey a sense of urgency and not wasting the lifesaver by waiting 15 seconds to actually move.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

jayok wrote: »
    So, movement WITHIN a lane requires a life-saver? News to me.

This also means if a big meaty pothole lies ahead its ,
    Lifesaver, then move?

A kid runs out in the road
    Lifesaver, then move?

All within a single lane in the straight ahead position

For the pothole, YES, Lifesaver before you change position.

NO, For the kid running out, Mirror then brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Aaron Rider Training

I don't think they are on boards, its a shame as they could have enlightened us all.
    Someone on here tweeked that the other day to be Mirror, Indicate, Lifesaver, Fcuking Move...... MILF.... can't stop thinking about MILFs when riding now :pac:

(The Fcuking being, as explained by whoever wrote it, to convey a sense of urgency and not wasting the lifesaver by waiting 15 seconds to actually move.)

That's how i play too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

O = Observation (This covers 2 things. Mirrors & shoulder check in that order)
    S = Signal (Always indicate after the above as you make sure it's clear to move before signalling intent)
    M = Manoeuvre (drift across lane or lane change)
    P = Position
    S = Speed (Reduce speed and sort gears)
    L = Look (Lifesaver prior to turning the bars)

The shoulder check in observation above is required before signalling in case anyone is in your blind spot.
    Observation covers all checks which is why its O and not an L as in look.
    It's exactly the same as the lifesaver but done prior to signalling. Easier to call them different things to avoid confusion as a lifesaver is described as a blind spot check prior to turning the bars.
    Don't really know why position is in there as imo your manoeuvre covers it.

All that being said there is some inconsistent testing going on which isn't right but can't be monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Aaron Rider Training

For what its worth a friend of mine did the training with the exact same person and FAILED for the exact same reason!! So you do the maths, charged him up the wazooo too for what its worth.

Something not right......

Roadskill wrote: »
    O = Observation (This covers 2 things. Mirrors & shoulder check in that order)
    S = Signal (Always indicate after the above as you make sure it's clear to move before signalling intent)
    M = Manoeuvre (drift across lane or lane change)
    P = Position
    S = Speed (Reduce speed and sort gears)
    L = Look (Lifesaver prior to turning the bars)

The shoulder check in observation above is required before signalling in case anyone is in your blind spot.
    Observation covers all checks which is why its O and not an L as in look.
    It's exactly the same as the lifesaver but done prior to signalling. Easier to call them different things to avoid confusion as a lifesaver is described as a blind spot check prior to turning the bars.
    Don't really know why position is in there as imo your manoeuvre covers it.

All that being said there is some inconsistent testing going on which isn't right but can't be monitored.

This to me seems to be the clearest explanation so far, distinguishing a shoulder check from a lifesaver.
    It still does not explain why my instructor nor any training manual I have read mentions it.
    And yes there is some very inconsistent testing going on.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    For what its worth a friend of mine did the training with the exact same person and FAILED for the exact same reason!! So you do the maths, charged him up the wazooo too for what its worth.

Something not right......

Interesting, although the guy after me passed doing all the same stuff.
    How much exactly was your friend charged for the IBT? I found it to be a good school of training and very comprehensive, every school has there fails Im sure. Even in this thread alone there is a certain amount of uncertainty over these lifesaver/safety glances and when exactly one should do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

There is some inconsistency between some testers. It depends on whether they ride a bike themselves normally or not.
    rule of thumb is : Move your head before you signal and also before you change position.
    Reason = Your helmet restricts your side views, so in order to see something beside you, your mirror will not help, you must turn your helmet for your eyes to see.

There is some inconsistency between some testers. It depends on whether they ride a bike themselves normally or not.

I had a feeling there might be an element of that. Its like me as a drum teacher testing a guitar student and marking him down for poor fretboard work or something.

I get your rule of thumb. When looking in the mirror I move my head to look at it.

My personal opinion of doing a lifesaver before changing position within a single lane (after I've signalled,before I take my new position) is its actually more dangerous as it takes your attention away from the traffic in front of you and whats happening at the junction. I 100% understand doing it before the actual turn.

Someone earlier said its to stop you smacking into a land rover when you move, but sure wheres the land rover going to be? Between me in my central position and traffic coming the other way? If I can't see that coming behind me in my mirror then they are poorly adjusted. In general, the roads on the Finglas test route are quite narrow and would not allow this. Yes some are wider and yes I can understand perhaps a shoulder/safety glance on the wider roads (not the ballymun road with two lanes, different kettle of kippers).

I tried some of the above suggestions on my way home tonight and found that all these shoulder/safety checks/ lifesavers to be to much. Every time I wanted to move position within my lane I lifesavered, on a bend before tilting the bike I lifesavered and so on.

Can anyone point out a good demo video of all this stuff on youtube or anything?
    Might help clarify a few things

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rule of thumb is : Move your head before you signal and also before you change position.
    Reason = Your helmet restricts your side views, so in order to see something beside you, your mirror will not help, you must turn your helmet for your eyes to see.

Your helmet doesn't restrict your side vision anything like as much as non-bikers think. Glasses wearers have a FAR more restricted field of vision.
    Cars have pillars obstructing your vision, and side windows that are often very slow to demist in winter.
    I actually feel much more claustrophobic / restricted in vision in the car than on the bike.

Your mirrors won't help spot something right beside you in a lane change, but that's nothing to do with your helmet, just where the mirrors are aimed and the field of view they have. Cars have exactly the same problem, and far too many drivers just use their mirrors (if we're lucky) and never think to look out their side window.

From some of the descriptions in this thread of what's required on test, it still sounds very much like the one I did in 1996. You were required to ride as if your bike had no indicators or mirrors, so hand signals for everything and shoulder checks for everything.
    I thought the test had moved on since then, perhaps not?
    Discretion is needed, the lifesaver (i.e. the last thing you do before a turn, but before you commit) is needed but shoulder checks on every minor lane position change?? Not always. If you are already fully aware of the situation beside/behind you then it's only distracting you from what's ahead, which is more likely to hurt you. The rider needs to use his or her judgement, is the only sensible answer.

It seems we're back to very slow, exaggerated, unrealistic riding (while being followed by a box-ticker in a cage) which shows the test hasn't really moved on from years ago at all. Why bother with all the fancy requirements for IBT if the thing which actually gives you your licence doesn't bear relation to real-world riding and isn't examined by a rider?

All tests should be done with an examiner on a bike, for starters, and it should be less about ticking boxes (in fairness, hard to do while riding a bike :) ) and more about what demonstrates real-world good judgement and control, rather than rigidity that no-one follows except on test, and arguably isn't even the safest way to ride even in the artificial environment of the test.

Rant over.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Good rant there Ninja.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My personal opinion of doing a lifesaver before changing position within a single lane (after I've signalled,before I take my new position) is its actually more dangerous as it takes your attention away from the traffic in front of you and whats happening at the junction. I 100% understand doing it before the actual turn.

Not to insult you or your riding ability. But your personal opinion is just wrong. If you are so close to another car on approach to a junction that you don't have time to slow enough to do a life saver you're too close to whoever is in front. A life saver takes less than 2 seconds to complete adequately. You're only looking to see if there is something next to you, not to see what is next to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

ninja900 wrote: »
    Your helmet doesn't restrict your side vision anything like as much as non-bikers think. Glasses wearers have a FAR more restricted field of vision.
    Cars have pillars obstructing your vision, and side windows that are often very slow to demist in winter.
    I actually feel much more claustrophobic / restricted in vision in the car than on the bike.

Your mirrors won't help spot something right beside you in a lane change, but that's nothing to do with your helmet, just where the mirrors are aimed and the field of view they have. Cars have exactly the same problem, and far too many drivers just use their mirrors (if we're lucky) and never think to look out their side window.

From some of the descriptions in this thread of what's required on test, it still sounds very much like the one I did in 1996. You were required to ride as if your bike had no indicators or mirrors, so hand signals for everything and shoulder checks for everything.
    I thought the test had moved on since then, perhaps not?
    Discretion is needed, the lifesaver (i.e. the last thing you do before a turn, but before you commit) is needed but shoulder checks on every minor lane position change?? Not always. If you are already fully aware of the situation beside/behind you then it's only distracting you from what's ahead, which is more likely to hurt you. The rider needs to use his or her judgement, is the only sensible answer.

It seems we're back to very slow, exaggerated, unrealistic riding (while being followed by a box-ticker in a cage) which shows the test hasn't really moved on from years ago at all. Why bother with all the fancy requirements for IBT if the thing which actually gives you your licence doesn't bear relation to real-world riding and isn't examined by a rider?

All tests should be done with an examiner on a bike, for starters, and it should be less about ticking boxes (in fairness, hard to do while riding a bike :) ) and more about what demonstrates real-world good judgement and control, rather than rigidity that no-one follows except on test, and arguably isn't even the safest way to ride even in the artificial environment of the test.

Rant over.

I agree with ninja on many points but the OP was about the test requirements for observation. All points raised in ninjas post are valid but are also what we would practice post test in a more advanced ride. For example an experienced or advanced rider would/should have a good knowledge of their surroundings at all times so shoulder checks and lifesavers are more of a precaution if we think it is warranted. During the basic riding test there is a procedure to carry out regardless or get marked down for it.
    On another note lifesavers on Left & Right bends before positioning is not required as we need to look ahead as we travel at higher speeds. Just a mirror check is enough as if there are vehicles behind, nearside and offside positioning should not be as severe so we don't give following traffic misleading information as to our intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Someone earlier said its to stop you smacking into a land rover when you move, but sure wheres the land rover going to be? Between me in my central position and traffic coming the other way?

Something very similar to this happened me recently. I was driving to work and a woman in a renault megane came up on my right side between me and oncoming traffic and I ended up in the grass verge at the side of the road. She had been driving very close to me for about a mile and I was keeping an eye on her in my mirrors. Just after we passed a junction for a split second I couldn't see her in my mirrors and assumed she had turned off, I did a quick lifesaver over my right shoulder and there she was about a foot away from me, to avoid crashing head on into oncoming traffic she pushed in on top of me and it was only my quick reflexes that saved me from getting hit, although I did end up in the grass verge, thankfully no damage was done.
    I have met this same car on the road a few times since and she drives like an absolute maniac, speeds down the overtaking lane coming up to a roundabout and cuts in front of people, dangerous overtaking like what she did to me, and just general bad driving.

Not to insult you or your riding ability. But your personal opinion is just wrong. If you are so close to another car on approach to a junction that you don't have time to slow enough to do a life saver you're too close to whoever is in front. A life saver takes less than 2 seconds to complete adequately. You're only looking to see if there is something next to you, not to see what is next to you.

Well im afraid thats that then. I feel that whats happening in front of me when I ride is a lot more important. And a lot can happen in those two seconds (long lifesaver no?) If the car in front slammed his brakes on for any reason , while you are doing a 2 second lifesaver that doesn't need to done at that point, then you have a good chance of hitting the back of that car.

Im a cautious but confident rider, never tailgate or ride to close to traffic in front. Ive never had, nearly had or caused an accident and have also never engaged with lifesavers every time I move to the left or right from my central position. Its just that its a new thing that Ive never header before.
    Im not having a dig at yiou by the way if it sounds like it.

Ninja said it earlier, that lifesavers aren't needed for every minor change in position and I have to agree with him. For the sake of the test I'll do what ever the hell they want me to if only they would make it clear what they wanted.
    Remember, in test no.1 this was not an issue.
    In test no.2 its a reason to fail.

WTF?

Any instructors here to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Lookbehindyou and Roadskills are both instructors

There are 4 instructors have replied you this thread, including myself, Roadcraft, Roadkill, and 1 other helpful adi who gave good advice.

There are 4 instructors have replied you this thread, including myself, Roadcraft, Roadkill, and 1 other helpful adi who gave good advice.

I don't know if you mean me, but I'm a car ADI (among other things) with about twenty years and 100,000 miles on bikes.

Ah right. Sorry I didn't know any of ye were instructors. With that in mind I'll take the advice on board, put it into practice and say a big thanks for all the input. I'll re-apply for my test when I have the money available.

For test no.3 I will do a shoulder check before changing position in my lane as well as the lifesaver before the corner. Hopefully that will suffice.

Its the inconsistency between examiners that lit my fuse here, not just that I failed. Failing for something that wasn't an issue at all in the first test, to me seems like one of the examiners was in the wrong. Either the first guy failed to be thorough enough to spot this mistake or the second tester was being a bit occ since she was under examination. Had it been mentioned in test no.1 it would have been fixed for test no.2

Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice

• Advertisement

Ah right. Sorry I didn't know any of ye were instructors. With that in mind I'll take the advice on board, put it into practice and say a big thanks for all the input. I'll re-apply for my test when I have the money available.

For test no.3 I will do a shoulder check before changing position in my lane as well as the lifesaver before the corner. Hopefully that will suffice.

Its the inconsistency between examiners that lit my fuse here, not just that I failed. Failing for something that wasn't an issue at all in the first test, to me seems like one of the examiners was in the wrong. Either the first guy failed to be thorough enough to spot this mistake or the second tester was being a bit occ since she was under examination. Had it been mentioned in test no.1 it would have been fixed for test no.2

Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice

Remember - instructors are on your side. We will never be assholes for the sake of it, we will be assholes with a keen view to getting you to pass your test. Best of luck! :D

Advertisement