Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving test lifesaver procedure

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

jimgoose wrote: »
    Remember - instructors are on your side. We will never be assholes for the sake of it, we will be assholes with a keen view to getting you to pass your test. Best of luck! :D

Ha! Nice one.Thanks again for all the advice.
    Here's to passing the next one:(:D:):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Roadskill wrote: »
    O = Observation (This covers 2 things. Mirrors & shoulder check in that order)
    S = Signal (Always indicate after the above as you make sure it's clear to move before signalling intent)
    M = Manoeuvre (drift across lane or lane change)
    P = Position
    S = Speed (Reduce speed and sort gears)
    L = Look (Lifesaver prior to turning the bars)

The shoulder check in observation above is required before signalling in case anyone is in your blind spot.
    Observation covers all checks which is why its O and not an L as in look.
    It's exactly the same as the lifesaver but done prior to signalling. Easier to call them different things to avoid confusion as a lifesaver is described as a blind spot check prior to turning the bars.
    Don't really know why position is in there as imo your manoeuvre covers it.

All that being said there is some inconsistent testing going on which isn't right but can't be monitored.

That's very detailed but like you say it's a bit confusing with 'shoulder check' and 'lifesaver'.
    What's the difference in the actual action? A shoulder check just a glance sideways whereas a lifesaver is a look over your shoulder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Pique wrote: »
    That's very detailed but like you say it's a bit confusing with 'shoulder check' and 'lifesaver'.
    What's the difference in the actual action? A shoulder check just a glance sideways whereas a lifesaver is a look over your shoulder ?

When stopped at side of road, and before you move off, its 180 degrees look around. (look behind )
    When on the move, its 90 degrees. ( look to the side )

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Pique wrote: »

They are the same thing except a lifesaver has the mainstream description of a check to the side you intend to move prior to turning the bars.
    as lookbehindyou says above 90°.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

Just with regards:

1) Observation
    2) Signal
    3) LIFESAVER
    4) Maneuver
    5) Position
    6) Speed
    7) LIFESAVER

I was told that the procedure for left and right turns is different, in that you need 2 lifesavers for turning right, but only 1 for turning left, with the last lifesaver (#7 in list above) being unnecessary. I think I nearly failed my test as a result

Note this instruction was from an examiner also (back in 2005 I think), so might be different, or that particular examiners interpretation of the procedure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

I wouldn't know if it has changed since then, but I've been trying the sideways glance before changing lane position and its just a case of getting used to it I reckon. Im so used to checking the mirror before a move it just feels a bit odd at the moment, but I can see the sense in it. Someone said earlier that its kind of a judgement thing and not a hard and fast rule. Situation dependant was the phrase I think.

Advertisement