Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuffling Around - Need Advice

Options
  • 24-01-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Ok so at the moment, everything computer related in our house is in the sitting room. That's where the PC is and that's where all the internet stuff is. Recently my brother moved out and we changed broadband provider (not related though).

Since my mother and I are the only ones in the house that use the computer anymore and neither of us really like using the PC in the sitting room, I came up with an idea to move things around. Basically my mother only uses the PC for web browsing and I use it for web browsing and gaming. As such, I built this PC a few years ago with gaming in mind. She wants to get rid of the PC and just have a laptop and obviously I want to keep the PC.

So my idea was that we set up the wi-fi in the house, I get her a cheap Windows 7 laptop and then move the PC to my room. There's a number of problems with this though.

The wi-fi isn't set up in the house. We have a wireless router there, a wifi signal does show up on my phone from the wireless router but I can't access it. I think the router came from our old internet provider because it has a firewall or password on it which they never gave to us so we haven't been able to use the internet without connecting with an ethernet cable. I'm assuming this is just a matter of getting a new getting a new wireless router, plugging an ethernet cable into it from the modem and setting up the wireless networks on PC and laptop.

After that the problem is the signal range. It's Excellent in the sitting, good in the kitchen, poor further away and doesn't even reach my room at the other end of the house. So obviously we'd like to have the signal all over the house. Again, I'm assuming this is as simple as buying a booster and setting it up (however one does that) but, as you may have guessed, I'm rather poor with these things and was hoping for advice.

After that it's merely a case of getting a cheap laptop with Windows 7 that can run internet browsers. So could someone run me through this and, if at all possible, link me to any products I buy need to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ok your provider is relevant so we know what router you currently have, are you with UPC / Eircom / Vodafone / Magnet etc.

Secondly, the wireless on your current modem is easy to configure, you can simply login to it from a web browser and change the network name (SSID) and password (passphrase). What is the older wireless router you have in the house? This can be setup so your phone / laptops have Wi-Fi.

Finally, you will only have issues with Wi-Fi for your gaming machine - you want the best latency possible I highly recommend you need to pick up some Homeplugs - essentially it's an ethernet cable that works through your existing power circuit. One is downstairs next connected to your router and the other upstairs, next to the PC and connected via ethernet. There's a great set I use in Argos for cheap, link below:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1439175/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

image004(37).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ok your provider is relevant so we know what router you currently have, are you with UPC / Eircom / Vodafone / Magnet etc.

Secondly, the wireless on your current modem is easy to configure, you can simply login to it from a web browser and change the network name (SSID) and password (passphrase). What is the older wireless router you have in the house? This can be setup so your phone / laptops have Wi-Fi.

Finally, you will only have issues with Wi-Fi for your gaming machine - you want the best latency possible I highly recommend you need to pick up some Homeplugs - essentially it's an ethernet cable that works through your existing power circuit. One is downstairs next connected to your router and the other upstairs, next to the PC and connected via ethernet. There's a great set I use in Argos for cheap, link below:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1439175/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

image004(37).jpg

Ok thanks for your help, I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1. My internet provider is Regional Broadband and before that it was Leinster broadband. The guy who came out to do the installation, took down the old aerial on the roof and installed the new one but other than that he used all the equipment (modem, cables) that were there.

Here's their website: http://www.regionalbroadband.ie/

2. Ok, don't really understand the first part. Well I do but I don't know how I'd do it. This is the wireless router that is there:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=190_TEW-651BR

There is a strong signal in the sitting room that gets progressively weaker the further away you get from it. And, as I said, we can't access it because we were never given the password.

3. Right, we live in a bungalow. The sitting room is at one end of the house and my room is at the other end of the house, the furthest room away. So all I'd have to do would be to plug one in the sitting room and another in my own bedroom?

Lago wrote: »
    Ok thanks for your help, I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1. My internet provider is Regional Broadband and before that it was Leinster broadband. The guy who came out to do the installation, took down the old aerial on the roof and installed the new one but other than that he used all the equipment (modem, cables) that were there.

Here's their website: http://www.regionalbroadband.ie/

2. Ok, don't really understand the first part. Well I do but I don't know how I'd do it. This is the wireless router that is there:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=190_TEW-651BR

There is a strong signal in the sitting room that gets progressively weaker the further away you get from it. And, as I said, we can't access it because we were never given the password.

3. Right, we live in a bungalow. The sitting room is at one end of the house and my room is at the other end of the house, the furthest room away. So all I'd have to do would be to plug one in the sitting room and another in my own bedroom?
    Great, the wireless router you are using will work fine for what you need to do ;) To login into the TRENDnet and check your current password or change the wireless name and password, just do the following:

1. Open your web browser and type the IP address of the router in the address bar. The default IP address is http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.10

image002.jpg

2. At the login, enter the username and password to login (both of these will be admin).

image004.jpg

3. Click on the Wireless tab on the left, then select Basic to view your SSID settings.

image008.jpg

4. Enter in your desired SSID in the SSID field (Lago Wireless for example) and click Apply.

5. Next, click Security underneath Basic that you just selected.

6. At the top, change the Authentication Type to WPA2 and click Apply.

image005.jpg

7. Now you can setup your password, type whatever you want this to be in the passphrase box (and confirm it). Then Apply.

image011.jpg

8. Now the router is setup with your own name and password to connect to with any Wi-Fi device.

To your last question, yes - it's just two plugs with two ethernet cables - one goes into your TRENDnet router and the other into your PC in the bedroom.

Ok sorry mate, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How do I find out my wireless router's IP Address?

Ok sorry mate, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How do I find out my wireless routers IP Address?
    I've quoted the two default ones, try both of them (whichever prompts you for a password is correct).

http://192.168.1.1
    http://192.168.1.10

Alternatively, you can check IP config by doing this:

1. Hold the WIN key and press R - you will get the Run box (bottom left).
    2. Type in cmd and press Enter or click OK
    3. In the black window, type ipconfig and press Enter.
    4. Your router IP address is under the Default Gateway.

• Advertisement

Ok I ran IP config, got the default gateway and entered it into the browser but got taken to the MirkoTik login instead of Trendnet.

Just to clarify because I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, the PC isn't connected to the internet from the wireless router. The wire comes down from the roof, through the wall in the sitting room and connects into this thing (this is what I was calling the modem, but now I'm thinking it's a router?)

The black cable on the left is the one coming from the wall and can't be removed. It's then connected to the PC with the grey Ethernet cable. I'm assuming when I run IP config, the default gateway is reffering to this

Ah you are directly connected to the wireless radio, that's a POE (power over ethernet) and powers your transmitter. Where is your TRENDnet at the minute?

It's right beside it with the power cable connected. I think that's why the wi-fi network is coming up on my phone.

Edit: Again sorry, didn't explain that really well. Here's another picture:

45fd94f1-c4e0-4163-a36a-4370275f65c7_zpsb17e0392.jpg

The wireless router is just plugged into a power socket. So it's on but not connected to anything else.

It's right beside it with the power cable connected. I think that's why the wi-fi network is coming up on my phone.
    Ok well basically the grey ethernet cable currently going into your PC needs to be routed through the TRENDnet. If you look at the back on the wireless router, there will be 5 ports, 4 of them are ethernet for your PC's etc. and 1 is a WAN port. This is where the grey cable (currently in your PC) needs to connect and then another ethernet cable needs to go from anyone of the 4 ports back to your PC. Just like the diagram below:

2008123014612923.jpg

NOTE: Do NOT remove the black ethernet cable going into your wall (and up to the wireless antenna) it can damage it if you do. Also, the TRENDnet may need some further configuration to get it working online (if the IP details are manually assigned on your PC). If they are not, it may detect them automatically.

Ah ok, I'll have to go to Tesco later and see if they have Ethernet cables there because we've only one around here. After I do that will I continue with the steps you detailed above or does it require more setting up on the PC?

• Advertisement

Ah ok, I'll have to go to Tesco later and see if they have Ethernet cables there because we've only one around here. After I do that will I continue with the steps you detailed above or does it require more setting up on the PC?
    No problem, it may need configuration in the Main tab on login. You can check to see if you have the IP address manually assigned by doing the following:

1. Press the WIN key + R and you will see the Run command on the bottom left.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl and press Enter or click OK.
    3. Right click the Local Area Connection and then click Properties.
    4. Under the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
    5. If Obtain an IP Addres Automatically and Obtain DNS Server Automatically are both checked, that's perfect, do nothing.
    6. If Use the following IP address is checked, make note of all the details for IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS servers.
    7. Of the two options above, they need to be setup in the TRENDnet screenshot below, it's very easy to do.

25e7e385-9327-4f7d-aab0-afa5aaf952ba_49.jpgf598cd96-6bf9-47be-942d-7d0b0afdbd88_47.jpg

WAN.jpg

Ah ok, I'll get the Ethernet cable and try it later on or tomorrow and post here how I get on. Thanks a million for all the help!

Ok I've got the Ethernet cables, set them up, got the IP and got to the Trendnet login screen but "admin" doesn't work for the username or password.

I'm guessing this is because our previous Internet provider set different username or password on it and as I said they never have it to us.

Also I noticed when I click the Login button, the password field changes from 5 characters (admin) to 8 characters. Perhaps that's why it isn't logging in? Because the password is being changed?

Edit: ah ok, I just reset the router, unplugged it and plugged in the cables again and now I can log in the TrendNet website and can get wi-fi on my phone. I can't get it on the computer though, it has to be connected through an Ethernet cable. I'm assuming this is normal and that if I get my mam a laptop, it will pick it up? Sorry for the mess of the post, just updating as I go along

Ok I've got the Ethernet cables, set them up, got the IP and got to the Trendnet login screen but "admin" doesn't work for the username or password.

I'm guessing this is because our previous Internet provider set different username or password on it and as I said they never have it to us.

Also I noticed when I click the Login button, the password field changes from 5 characters (admin) to 8 characters. Perhaps that's why it isn't logging in? Because the password is being changed?

Edit: ah ok, I just reset the router, unplugged it and plugged in the cables again and now I can log in the TrendNet website and can get wi-fi on my phone. I can't get it on the computer though, it has to be connected through an Ethernet cable. I'm assuming this is normal and that if I get my mam a laptop, it will pick it up? Sorry for the mess of the post, just updating as I go along
    Yes you are correctly, most likely your PC doesn't have WiFi and doesn't need it (since you will be using the power line plugs). So once the new laptop arrives, you connect up the same way as your phone and its all sorted :)

Yes you are correctly, most likely your PC doesn't have WiFi and doesn't need it (since you will be using the power line plugs). So once the new laptop arrives, you connect up the same way as your phone and its all sorted :)

Ok, got the laptop and got it working with the wi-fi. Just need to move the PC and try out those TP Links now. Thanks again man.

Just one thing I've realised since I got it working last night was that the download speed is significantly slower (by about 100kbps or 200 kbps) and fairly inconsistent, going up and down constantly. Plus my mam is using the laptop in the same room as the wireless router and it keeps disconnecting from the internet despite it saying the signal strength is Excellent. I don't understand because it works perfectly on phones but not on this laptop. Is this because it's running through the wireless router now? And could it be solved by buying a new router?

Edit: Ok I have the TP Link set up in my room and as far as I can tell it's working perfectly. So now the laptop is the only problem which has me worried there is a problem with the laptop.

Ok, got the laptop and got it working with the wi-fi. Just need to move the PC and try out those TP Links now. Thanks again man.

Just one thing I've realised since I got it working last night was that the download speed is significantly slower (by about 100kbps or 200 kbps) and fairly inconsistent, going up and down constantly. Plus my mam is using the laptop in the same room as the wireless router and it keeps disconnecting from the internet despite it saying the signal strength is Excellent. I don't understand because it works perfectly on phones but not on this laptop. Is this because it's running through the wireless router now? And could it be solved by buying a new router?

Edit: Ok I have the TP Link set up in my room and as far as I can tell it's working perfectly. So now the laptop is the only problem which has me worried there is a problem with the laptop.
    If its just the laptop with WiFi issues and not your phones or PC, then it's localised. What version of Windows is on the laptop (eg. Vista SP2). It could be a drivers issue or related to a strict AV / firewall.

If its just the laptop with WiFi issues and not your phones or PC, then it's localised. What version of Windows is on the laptop (eg. Vista SP2). It could be a drivers issue or related to a strict AV / firewall.

It's running on Windows 7. It was working perfectly last night when my man was in bed. She was able to watch RTE Player so it must have been working pretty well.

It's just odd because in her room the wi-fi will disconnect itself but when you reconnect it mostly works fine unless it disconnects again. In the sitting room where the router is, it doesn't disconnect but the Internet just stops working. As if the download speed has gone to 0 despite the fact it says signal strength is Excellent l. Then it will just come back by itself after a while.

I'm fairly sure it's not a problem with the laptop because I tried it in my girlfriends house before I brought it home and with their UPC wifi it was working fine.

Advertisement