Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dentist €80

Options
  • 24-01-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Recently had a check up and clean in a dentist in drogheda.
    no stamps and was charged €80.
    i thought it was a bit excessive ??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, I paid that 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Medical card holders have to pay €25 so no cheap or free dental care no matter who or what your circumstances are. I have a Polish dentist obviously licenced to practice in Ireland, uses Irish suppliers for veneers, crowns etc - charges in and around €1800 for needed crown work as a set of front upper teeth - thats about 2k cheaper than an Irish dentist without comprimising care. 80 quid for someone to look in yer gob and then give the pearlys a polish is too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Medical card holders have to pay €25 so no cheap or free dental care no matter who or what your circumstances are. I have a Polish dentist obviously licenced to practice in Ireland, uses Irish suppliers for veneers, crowns etc - charges in and around €1800 for needed crown work as a set of front upper teeth - thats about 2k cheaper than an Irish dentist without comprimising care. 80 quid for someone to look in yer gob and then give the pearlys a polish is too much!

Where does that dentist work from?

Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Nesta99, How many crowns/veneers and how do you know he used an irish ceramic laboratory and not a polish one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Jesus thats expensive treatment

I got 2 front teeth crowned 3 years ago for €2050 by a local Irish dentist. You'll get cheaper in Newry or elsewhere up north.

I got 2 front teeth crowned 3 years ago for €2050 by a local Irish dentist. You'll get cheaper in Newry or elsewhere up north.

This is well above average price for two crowns in the south, typically it would be 12-1500 for top quality ceramics.

Aya Square Fast-food did this price include cast post and cores to retain the crowns ?

Nesta, €1800 is very pricey a couple of crowns, I think the Polish guy charged you more than most irish dentists would.

davo10 wrote: »
    This is well above average price for two crowns in the south, typically it would be 12-1500 for top quality ceramics.

Srameen did this price include cast post and cores to retain the crowns ?

Nesta, €1800 is very pricey a couple of crowns, I think the Polish guy charged you more than most irish dentists would.

Where did I mention a couple of crowns? I said a set, I have more than 2 upper teeth. He gate details of the dental technician he used and it was an Irish lab and name so i presume Irish materials. I have since seen prices quoted for crowns at Irish dentists that were falling - probably due to the economic issues and also due to competition. I'm very happy with the service provided and the end product!

Was referred to a Northern clinic in the past for dental surgery and I didnt have a good experience and that was before the needed surgery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

I'm all about supporting locals first,but after visiting my dentist last year and finding out i needed root canal treatment and it was gonna cost 850 euro i soon changed my mind and looked up north.Exact same job in Newry cost me 280 euro with a complete check up and polish.My last visit to this dentist in Newry cost me 60 euro with a filling and a visit to hygienist.God knows what that would cost me here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

I recently got a clean,checkup and my teeth xrayed for €50, €80 is excessive.

In Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I checked and cleaned my own teeth last week for free. They looked great.
    I then had a go at cutting my own hair, but the result was only so so. Still, it's money saved and not in the pocket of some rip off barber.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Well it was really only a clean for €80.
    The check up consisted of a 30 second look around my gob -
    I kid you not !:confused:

blingrhino wrote: »
    Well it was really only a clean for €80.
    The check up consisted of a 30 second look around my gob -
    I kid you not !:confused:

Did dentist have his/her eyes closed during the cleaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Don't get ripped off, on the front of the D.I. this week Balbriggan Dental Clinic have an ad, same service including an Xray, 25 Euro.

Did dentist have his/her eyes closed during the cleaning?

Doubt it! Too busy checking bank balance online with a smug grin.

wilson10 wrote: »
    Don't get ripped off, on the front of the D.I. this week Balbriggan Dental Clinic have an ad, same service including an Xray, 25 Euro.

According to their website a check up is €20, a scale and polish €50, total €70. By any chance could that €25 be a short term special offer?

According to their website a check up is €20, a scale and polish €50, total €70. By any chance could that €25 be a short term special offer?

Still a very good offer nonetheless.

Doubt it! Too busy checking bank balance online with a smug grin.

Of course he/she was, sure that is what dentists do all the time between patients, kinda like the way all employed and those in receipt of benefits check their bank accounts with a smug grin, to see how much more they have compared to their counterparts in the North.

Still a very good offer nonetheless.

Can't be passed up to be honest, these offers tend to be "loss leaders" for the Clinic, they might notice cavities etc during the visit.

• Advertisement

Of course he/she was, sure that is what dentists do all the time between patients, kinda like the way all employed and those in receipt of benefits check their bank accounts with a smug grin, to see how much more they have compared to their counterparts in the North.

Strange, I as an employed person have absolutely no interest in the North or checking out how better off i am than they are! As a significant number of Dentists around Dundalk refer patients to Northern clinics for root canal work and wisdom tooth extractions etc they must be trying to spread their considerable wealth gained by ripping off joe republic with their Northern kin, considering the poor Northern folk cant afford to pay extortion rates and all as they have so much less than we do:rolleyes:

Strange, I as an employed person have absolutely no interest in the North or checking out how better off i am than they are! As a significant number of Dentists around Dundalk refer patients to Northern clinics for root canal work and wisdom tooth extractions etc they must be trying to spread their considerable wealth gained by ripping off joe republic with their Northern kin, considering the poor Northern folk cant afford to pay extortion rates and all as they have so much less than we do:rolleyes:

What? Difficult to understand this post but I'll give it a go.

You are not interested in comparing your wage with your counterpart in the North but you are happy to compare someone else's?. A bit hypocritical don't you think?

If you are paid more for doing your job that your northern brethren, do you accept that you are overpaid and ripping off your employer? Would you be willing to accept a reduction in your wages? If not, how then can you criticize others for being paid more than their counterparts?

Can't be passed up to be honest, these offers tend to be "loss leaders" for the Clinic, they might notice cavities etc during the visit.

Speaks another dentist jealous at the deals others can offer.:rolleyes:

Speaks another dentist jealous at the deals others can offer.:rolleyes:

Speaks a dentist who doesn't have to offer these types of deals.

What? Difficult to understand this post but I'll give it a go.

You are not interested in comparing your wage with your counterpart in the North but you are happy to compare someone else's?. A bit hypocritical don't you think?

If you are paid more for doing your job that your northern brethren, do you accept that you are overpaid and ripping off your employer? Would you be willing to accept a reduction in your wages? If not, how then can you criticize others for being paid more than their counterparts?

Pretty basic English so i'm sure you didnt have too much difficulty interpreting my post - I am happy though to break it down in to a simpler form of English if you need me to, just ask!

I dont know what a person in Northern Ireland doing a similar job earns and as i've already said I am not interested. You obviously are as you brought it up. I mentioned on the previous page that I had had a poor experience with a Northern Irish clinic and made no mention of cost diffrentiation.
    You have thrown in Northern Ireland as a red herring because the comparison I did make was that of a dentist in Dublin, albeit not an Irish national, who with similar overheads to other dental clinics in the Republic of Ireland can and does charge significantly less to patients.

This, in my opinion, has lead to other Dental practices to reduce prices to remain competative and long may this continue and spread throughout the nation.

Do you think that €80 is value for money for somone to do a dental check up and clean, a ten minute procedure. Fit 4 of these in in an hour and you are talking about earnings of €320 and hour - pure greed!

I really hope you read you patient files more carefully than you have read my posts in this thread as you have made a few inaccurate presumptions here.

For the record I also think is is scandalous that GP's can charge €50-80 for what might be a brief consult and then also charge extra on top for taking bloods for example. If someone has a chronic disease, like asthma or diabetes, that requires a monthly GP visit - added to prescription charges, that is close to €300 per month. If somone on a low income and not entitled to a medical card this is a huge drain. Once again extortion and greed created by the illusion of affluence during the septic tiger era.

Note I am not talking about myself here.

Pretty basic English....

Do you think that €80 is value for money for somone to do a dental check up and clean, a ten minute procedure. Fit 4 of these in in an hour and you are talking about earnings of €320 and hour - pure greed!

Not greed, pretty basic economics. All clinics are small businesses, if someone is paid what the market will bare, they are being paid exactly what they are worth. A service provider will charge as much as possible, a consumer wants to pay as little as possible, the market sets the rate somewhere in between. Market economics at its simplest.

If people are not required to recieve treatment from a particular provider but still chose to pay €80, then they obviously feel it is value for money even if you don't.

Pretty much avoiding the addressing of the points I made. Yes clinics are small businesses, and yes it is understandable that somone will accept as much as they can get for their time at work. That doesnt make extortionate pricing right! The going rate is not always a fair rate. It is a particular problem when you have a cartel like situation where prices are held high limiting the choice of the patient to seek out cheaper alternatives. This is now happening as previously mentioned.

I reckon you would be hard pushed to find somone who thinks that €80 for a check up gives value for money, peope pay up due to lack of alternatives, not bothering to look for cheaper options, or not knowing there are better options.

I do acknowledge that people will pay a premium for familiarity, trust in the practioner, and continuity of care and that is their perogitive.

Now instead of cherry picking a piece of a post to address why dont you attempt to come up with a complete counter argument. Or is defending the indefensible too taxing?

As crude as it might be to use the estimate earlier of €320ph, take an 8hr day, 5 days pw for 48wks of the year thats over €600k - slightly more than a small business. A few pro bono cases could be done with those figures:o

Pretty much avoiding the addressing of the points I made. Yes clinics are small businesses, and yes it is understandable that somone will accept as much as they can get for their time at work. That doesnt make extortionate pricing right! The going rate is not always a fair rate. It is a particular problem when you have a cartel like situation where prices are held high limiting the choice of the patient to seek out cheaper alternatives. This is now happening as previously mentioned.

I reckon you would be hard pushed to find somone who thinks that €80 for a check up gives value for money, peope pay up due to lack of alternatives, not bothering to look for cheaper options, or not knowing there are better options.

I do acknowledge that people will pay a premium for familiarity, trust in the practioner, and continuity of care and that is their perogitive.

Now instead of cherry picking a piece of a post to address why dont you attempt to come up with a complete counter argument. Or is defending the indefensible too taxing?

As crude as it might be to use the estimate earlier of €320ph, take an 8hr day, 5 days pw for 48wks of the year thats over €600k - slightly more than a small business. A few pro bono cases could be done with those figures:o

The going rate is the fair rate if that is what the market sets the rate at. People always think that health services should be offered at the lowest possible rate because they are health services, they are a business like every other and the market place sets the price, not whether an individual feels a price is fair. Is that simple enough?

What cartel? For years people wanted more transparency and advertisement of prices. Now every dentist can see what competitors are charging and if the demand exists, there is no need to set prices below competitors. If you have evidence of cartelling, you should contact the competition authority immediately instead of making false accusations.

Just to put a simple question to you, if a dentist is charging €80, for a 10 minute clean ( my hygienist takes 30mins by the way ) has patients all the time non stop for a year and makes €320 per hour/€600k per year, in your opinion why would he/she reduce the price just because you think its unfair/poor value considering 8000 people will not have agreed with you?

As for pro bono, all dentists provide pro bono and reduced cost treatment to existing patients who may be experiencing financial problems but this tends to be treatments that are provided to relieve pain.

Now that wasn't taxing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

which dentist in Drogheda is this?? Name n Shame

• Advertisement

Mods I suggest you step in here, OP has stated that he was overcharged for an examination which is claimed lasted only 30 sec. This is libellous, I have informed the dentist concerned, I'm certain he will be in touch with boards requesting OP IP details.

Advertisement