Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lab pup with bllod in poo

• 24-01-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

have a lab pup 4months old and now when it goes to the toilet it has blood threw it the pup is booked for the vets on tue but im worried and want to no what to expect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

has the pup had all its vaccinations ?

It could be something simply like colitis or more serious. As it a pup I woulnt wait until Tuesday to go the vets I'ld bring it in today or tomorrow at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but that pup needs a vet now!!

Dont mean to scare you but they are some of the symptoms of Parvo so please get your pup to the vet asap to get it checked out.

It could be just a tummy bug but you cannot take the risk and wait that long.

Dehydration can kill a pup and if its vomitting and has the runs then they are at risk of getting dehydrated so vets asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Gosh why would you wait til tuesday? Your pup needs to be seen by a vet asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Tuesday is AGES away, please dont wait it may be something simple but IF its not Tuesday is too far away to wait.

I would bring him to the VET today... as you said he is a pup and pups eat some very strange things that could have serious effects on the pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I took on two foster pups and the next morning they were passing blood in their vomit and poo. It turned out they has parvo and had to be put to sleep.

Please rush your pup to a vet ASAP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ok I'm going to go against everyone else's advice.. :p Deciding what to do/whether to go to the vets is imo something that comes with experience - if my dogs are otherwise fine I'd wait 24 hours to see if clears up. Blood in the poo is often a sign of an upset tummy/colitis. How are the poos - hard or soft/runny/watery and how much blood. How is the pup otherwise - in good form? If it was my pup I'd fast for 12 hours then offer a small amount (couple of tablespoons) of something bland like chicken and potato/rice. If after a couple of hours there's been no dodgy poo/blood offer another small amount, wait and repeat You need to keep a very very close eye on the pup though - make sure it's drinking not getting dehydrated and if you notice any changes like it gets lethargic head to the vets asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

tk123 wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to go against everyone else's advice.. :p Deciding what to do/whether to go to the vets is imo something that comes with experience - if my dogs are otherwise fine I'd wait 24 hours to see if clears up. Blood in the poo is often a sign of an upset tummy/colitis. How are the poos - hard or soft/runny/watery and how much blood. How is the pup otherwise - in good form? If it was my pup I'd fast for 12 hours then offer a small amount (couple of tablespoons) of something bland like chicken and potato/rice. If after a couple of hours there's been no dodgy poo/blood offer another small amount, wait and repeat You need to keep a very very close eye on the pup though - make sure it's drinking not getting dehydrated and if you notice any changes like it gets lethargic head to the vets asap.

I would put emphasis on the bold part.
    If you do not have experience, go to the vet ASAP.

My dog (8 months) has a somewhat sensible digestive tract and it happens, usually with diarrhea.
    So now, we closely monitor and switch to rice/chicken when the poo gets to runny.
    We had a bad one few weeks back that got us pretty worried (very liquid poo, red blood and mucus like at the end, ...). It came up very quickly.
    As he was still drinking and acting fine, we got him on a ~24h fasting (still plenty of water), then rice/chicken for few days, then slowly reintroduce kibbles and all was fine afterward.

If the diarrhea had continued after the fasting, if he had stopped drinking or got lethargic, if he had started vomiting, I would have got him to the vet immediately.

It's a bit like babies, if you have a minimum of experience, you do not rush to the doctor as soon as he has one diarrhea or a bit of fever but you act immediately (limit fruits, got him a lukewarm bath, ...), monitor closely and go to the doctor if it has not improved in 24h (or at least that's what we did with our 2 boys and they are still there 12 years later).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Plopli wrote: »
    I would put emphasis on the bold part.
    If you do not have experience, go to the vet ASAP.

My dog (8 months) has a somewhat sensible digestive tract and it happens, usually with diarrhea.
    So now, we closely monitor and switch to rice/chicken when the poo gets to runny.
    We had a bad one few weeks back that got us pretty worried (very liquid poo, red blood and mucus like at the end, ...). It came up very quickly.
    As he was still drinking and acting fine, we got him on a ~24h fasting (still plenty of water), then rice/chicken for few days, then slowly reintroduce kibbles and all was fine afterward.

If the diarrhea had continued after the fasting, if he had stopped drinking or got lethargic, if he had started vomiting, I would have got him to the vet immediately.

It's a bit like babies, if you have a minimum of experience, you do not rush to the doctor as soon as he has one diarrhea or a bit of fever but you act immediately (limit fruits, got him a lukewarm bath, ...), monitor closely and go to the doctor if it has not improved in 24h (or at least that's what we did with our 2 boys and they are still there 12 years later).

Plopli, one of my dogs has gastric problems too. Ive switched him over to home cooked chicken/rice or beef/potatos or pork/rice all the time now. If he is so sensitive to kibble - it doesnt make sense to keep him on kibble til he has a reaction, then have to fast him to let his tummy recover and give him chicken/rice then back to the kibble... just my 2 cents worth. I have found that keeping my guy on a home cooked diet has prevented any reactions for the most part, though he will always have the odd episode unfortunately. Worth thinking about for your puppy - if you havent already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Had this with my kitten. Was told it was due to his 'naive digestive system' and to put him on a very plain diet (just dry food). So out with the kitty milk and onto the gravel. Cleared up in about a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

aonb wrote: »
    Plopli, one of my dogs has gastric problems too. Ive switched him over to home cooked chicken/rice or beef/potatos or pork/rice all the time now. If he is so sensitive to kibble - it doesnt make sense to keep him on kibble til he has a reaction, then have to fast him to let his tummy recover and give him chicken/rice then back to the kibble... just my 2 cents worth. I have found that keeping my guy on a home cooked diet has prevented any reactions for the most part, though he will always have the odd episode unfortunately. Worth thinking about for your puppy - if you havent already?

This is pretty much what I was going to say too, but aonb has saved me the trouble :p
    If your dog keeps getting a dodgy tummy plopli, it's almost certainly because his food doesn't suit him, so keeping him on it is just going to keep him in the same cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

i have plenty experience with dogs always kept them this is dog is one of 3 i have at the moment is has had both jags stage one and 2. it is fed on pedro gold and in condition by the blood minimal i might add with a little mucues, they are all fed on pedro gold and kept to a high standard as the are pets and working dogs the pup is acting fine, the poo is soft but its always been lik that with her, i doubt it being parvo with her being jagged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to tell you but they can still catch parvo even with their vaccinations. Please take your dog to the vet to get it checked out.
    Also just to note Pedro gold is actually a very low quality food compared to a lot of others so maybe it's not agreeing with your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Soft poo + mucus/blood means the food isn't agreeing with her. It's a pretty crappy food looking at the ingredients so not surprised tbh. If it was me I'd be switching her to a better quality diet that agrees with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

its got all clear with vets was a tummy infection of some sort got anibotics etc for a month n she can be right as rain ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

DBB wrote: »
    This is pretty much what I was going to say too, but aonb has saved me the trouble :p
    If your dog keeps getting a dodgy tummy plopli, it's almost certainly because his food doesn't suit him, so keeping him on it is just going to keep him in the same cycle.

For now, I will think that it's because he keep eating every crap he can put is teeth on when he's off leash.

Since we do not let him loose anymore, he has had no problem.

We are training him to drop on command and had some success so far.
    Hopefully, he will get more reasonable and we will be able to let him run again :)

Advertisement