Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care at home services

Options
  • 24-01-2014 4:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

My mother is elderly, 80 years old. She is living in rural county Wicklow and alone for the past 3 years since my father died. She is struggling with her mobility for the past couple of years and is just about able to make it around using a walking stick. I live and work in Dublin, I go home every weekend to help out with chores and do her weekly shopping. I recently hired a cleaning lady who comes in once a week to help her out. She also has a panic alarm. We have recently had a baby in my house so my time is limited with work and home
    With her decreasing mobility I am thinking that soon enough she will struggle to prepare meals, wash herself etc. She has a medical card and a HSE nurse has been around once in the past year. Should I contact the HSE in my area and ask about possible assistance they could give my mother, what sort of help is available these days ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Definitely contact the HSE in your mam's area - you'll need older people's services - and request a care needs assessment. Ideally this should be done with your mam's agreement, maybe talk it through with her when you visit and make contact then. This might provide you with more info:-

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

Frito wrote: »
    Definitely contact the HSE in your mam's area - you'll need older people's services - and request a care needs assessment. Ideally this should be done with your mam's agreement, maybe talk it through with her when you visit and make contact then. This might provide you with more info:-

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/

Thanks, thats very helpful

Advertisement