Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to renovate this house?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭

See:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/178-ballyroan-road-rathfarnham-dublin-16/2726425

If i wanted to:

- put in new kitchen & bathrooms
    - knock down some internal walls to create much larger kitchen/living area
    - internal insulation (or whatever required to bring BER up to B)
    - re do plumbing and electrical
    - new floors/carpet
    - paint everything inside

Obviously depends on the quality of everything - could get a kitchen for €10k or €30k but just looking for some ideas?

To basically bring the house up to modern standard and decor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

so are you gutting it entirely? I'm guessing if leaving layout etc as is, no new extensions, 40-50k. It depends on the quality of kitchen and who you get to do the work... can you do anything yourself, can you project manage etc... it looks like windows are double glazed, does it need a new or could it do with a new boiler? Castle are a bloody nightmare to deal with by the way... Pity they dont have the floorplans up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Idbatterim wrote: »
    40-50k. .

Conservative estimate! Its a big enough house.

Conservative estimate! Its a big enough house.
    yeah, see this is where it gets tricky, I could do it for far less than that personally, to an extent its a how long is a piece of string question... Assuming no layout changes or extensions, some would do it for 20k, other 40k, others 60k, maybe more..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

so are you gutting it entirely? I'm guessing if leaving layout etc as is, no new extensions, 40-50k. It depends on the quality of kitchen and who you get to do the work... can you do anything yourself, can you project manage etc... it looks like windows are double glazed, does it need a new or could it do with a new boiler? Castle are a bloody nightmare to deal with by the way... Pity they dont have the floorplans up.

Yes sorry have amended OP to show id want to knock down internal wall and create large kitchen/living space

Yes sorry have amended OP to show id want to knock down internal wall and create large kitchen/living space
    ok, so fairly standard, makes sense, the kitchen etc are pretty useless at the moment. For years people have been putting up extensions to the back, creating a large, kitchen, come living room, cum dining room. Obviously this will cost considerably more. The ground floor reception room doesnt look too spacious...

Op is there a reason you are looking around rathfarnham now? I'm originally from churchtown, renting in rathfarnham and to be honest I hate it compared to dundrum / churchtown, take a look at the below. Those houses are poor value for money compared to the below, when you compare locations IMO. You are beside the luas, and dundrum town centre there, close to UCD and a host of national and private schools...

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/10-weston-road-churchtown-dublin-14/2703434

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-pine-copse-road-dundrum-dublin-14/2720318

• Advertisement

ok, so fairly standard, makes sense, the kitchen etc are pretty useless at the moment. For years people have been putting up extensions to the back, creating a large, kitchen, come living room, cum dining room. Obviously this will cost considerably more. The ground floor reception room doesnt look too spacious...

So are we thinking to do everything i want to a high enough standard id want €60-80k?

I reckon you could do it for less, if you just just want to merge the back rooms and dont want an extension... There is a recent government incentive in relation to home renovation, see below. The biggest cost by far is labour, and rates for this can vary massively between a registered compliant builder and a cash in hand job. Thats why its hard to price, my dad is doing up a 10,000 square foot building, he doesnt do all of the work, when he gets quotes for work he cant or doesnt want to do, they can massively vary, i.e. one could be a multiple of the other quote, for exactly the same work...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/home_renovation_incentive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hi Folks,

I don't want to do a job as big as this one but would like to know what you think of my assumptions on the option I am looking at:

I am looking to buy 4 bedroom detached second hand home and most of the BER ratings are around D1/D2 so if I do buy I want to factor in how much roughly it will cost to upgrade the house to a higher rating eg B maybe?

I really don't know? If this is the wrong thread can you point in the right direction as it is not very clear to me

Also when reviewing a home does the BER take into account the lighting used in the house eg if the house has a dozen halogen spot lights in the kitchen and old style bubs etc, will that bring the BER down? Also I guess if they have any open fire this will drag it down?

Most houses built in the last 15 years will have attic insulation so if I was to buy I imagine I would be looking to add the following to bring it up to a reasonable BER level:

* Wall insulation - 1500
    * New A rated windows and doors (2 doors plus 8 windows) - 5000
    * Stove fireplace - 1000
    * CFLs in all rooms - 100
    * Energy efficient gas boiler - 2000
    * BER and/or Expert report - 300
    * Solar water heaters on roof - 6000

Would around 16K sound about right?

Really don't know so would love to get some feedback please?

Does anyone know of a retrofitting company in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I don't want to do a job as big as this one but would like to know what you think of my assumptions on the option I am looking at:

I am looking to buy 4 bedroom detached second hand home and most of the BER ratings are around D1/D2 so if I do buy I want to factor in how much roughly it will cost to upgrade the house to a higher rating eg B maybe?

I really don't know? If this is the wrong thread can you point in the right direction as it is not very clear to me

Also when reviewing a home does the BER take into account the lighting used in the house eg if the house has a dozen halogen spot lights in the kitchen and old style bubs etc, will that bring the BER down? Also I guess if they have any open fire this will drag it down?

Most houses built in the last 15 years will have attic insulation so if I was to buy I imagine I would be looking to add the following to bring it up to a reasonable BER level:

* Wall insulation - 1500
    * New A rated windows and doors (2 doors plus 8 windows) - 5000
    * Stove fireplace - 1000
    * CFLs in all rooms - 100
    * Energy efficient gas boiler - 2000
    * BER and/or Expert report - 300
    * Solar water heaters on roof - 6000

Would around 16K sound about right?

Really don't know so would love to get some feedback please?

Does anyone know of a retrofitting company in Limerick?
    Insulate walls 1500??? What kind of insulation You talking???

Complete house upgrade and renovation 70-100k. A-rate

• Advertisement

thx but I am not looking to bring the house to A rated especially if it means costing up to 50% of a new build

In terms of wall insulation - i was considering getting them pumped which is what some friends have had done and they say it made a difference althiugh I am skeptical

I guess no matter what I want it will be dictated by my budget so all I have is 20K to spend on raising the BER standard to as high as possible while saving on energy bills going forward and hopefully adding some value to the house.

So with that in mind its all about trying to get as much bang for my 20K buck!

thx but I am not looking to bring the house to A rated especially if it means costing up to 50% of a new build

In terms of wall insulation - i was considering getting them pumped which is what some friends have had done and they say it made a difference althiugh I am skeptical

I guess no matter what I want it will be dictated by my budget so all I have is 20K to spend on raising the BER standard to as high as possible while saving on energy bills going forward and hopefully adding some value to the house.

So with that in mind its all about trying to get as much bang for my 20K buck!
    Get quote from insulation company for pumping insulation in to the wall and if You have left budget, insulate attic and put air-tight membrane on top floor ceilings.

cavity wall insulation will cost around 1500 max or 12K for external wall insulation but I don't think I need this
    Attic is already insulated so how much to put air-tight membrane on top floor ceiling?
    Anyone in Limerick / mid-west area who could do this?

Assuming I was to get this done on a D1 BER house what should it bring it up to?

cavity wall insulation will cost around 1500 max or 12K for external wall insulation but I don't think I need this
    Attic is already insulated so how much to put air-tight membrane on top floor ceiling?
    Anyone in Limerick / mid-west area who could do this?

Assuming I was to get this done on a D1 BER house what should it bring it up to?

To put airtight membrane on top of the ceiling You need to remove existing ceilings fit membrane and fit new ceilings. It can cost You around euros/m2.
    You have to find out what insulation they pump in to wall.
    Stove instead of open fireplace makes a big difference as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

OP do you mind if I ask if you went ahead with this renovation and how much it cost? I am on the fence about whether to renovate or not.

Rasmus wrote: »
    OP do you mind if I ask if you went ahead with this renovation and how much it cost? I am on the fence about whether to renovate or not.

nope didn't buy house, still looking

Advertisement