Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

96 Golf High Lambda NCT and told to scrap

Options
  • 24-01-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Not very good with cars so I hope someone here can help. Just failed the NCT on Wednesday due to a slightly high lambda reading (all the details below). Dropped it into the mechanic (not my regular mechanic a new guy) and he told me it was due to burning oil and the carburator. It would cost €400 to fix and he couldn't guarantee that it would pass. So he said it was sad but to scrap it. They also sell new cars there, this is why I am suspicious!

I love my golf, never gives me any hassle and it is in great nick otherwise. Would kill me to get rid of it. Based on my reading of forums i think the mechanic was wrong and it is more than likely a small hole in the exhaust? Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Dave

Details
    VW Golf CL 1.4 (1391cc 1996 5dr)
    Odometer: 123,539

NCT Details
    Engine Temp: 94C
    Low Idle (720rpm)
    • CO 0.10% Volume

High Idle (2,810 rpm)
    • Lambda 1.07
    • CO 0.02% Vol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Get a new mechanic or should I just say get a mechanic, this guy is a spoofer, a 1996 Golf does not have a carburettor.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You took the words right out of my mouth :D

Pretty much all European built cars sold in Europe since '93 have electronic fuel injection (so no carb)

That said, the emission values on the car do not look good...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The mechanic is just saying he doesn't know how to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

bit of diptane might sneak it through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

+1 for dipetane
    I use it with every fill - the car is happy and emissions are never a worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Get a new mechanic or should I just say get a mechanic, this guy is a spoofer, a 1996 Golf does not have a carburettor.

I think your mechanic probably meant the throttle body.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If there was a hole in the exhaust then you'd hear it blowing and it would most likely have been spotted during the NCT.

If you didn't service it before the test then change the oil, filter, spark plugs and air filter. Throw a drop of diptaine in the tank in the days before the test and give the car a good hard drive to the test centre to get it up to full operating temperature. Arrive 5 minutes before your test time so as to ensure the engine is still hot when being tested.

If it still fails then a new cat and/or a new O2 sensor should get it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭cletus

+1 for dipetane

do you really use it in every fill? what are the emissions like without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

A buddy of mine in the army persuaded me to give it a lash.
    I did it as an experiment and it does increase mpg slightly which makes it about cost neutral (€45 for 5L in motor factors which treats 1000L of fuel).
    Also the car drives very smooth with it in it.
    Last year versus this years NCT (yesterday) details are here.

Last year (This year)

low Idle
    co 0.03 .02
    hc 24ppm 17ppm
    high idle
    co .06 .04
    hc 44 27
    lambda 1 1

Not a massive improvement but the engine is a year older with about 15K extra miles done and I only use the recommended dose. Usually lads who fail the NCT on emissions go for a dose of ten times normal or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some bad advice in this thread. The OP has not posted the HC results but the CO results are well within limits for a car of this age.

Based on what has been posted the only issue is the Lambda of 1.07. This is very likely due to a blow in the exhaust and is highly unlikely to have anything to do with spark plugs, air fiters, the cat, the lambda sensor or using/not using Dipetaine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Some bad advice in this thread. The OP has not posted the HC results but the CO results are well within limits for a car of this age.

Based on what has been posted the only issue is the Lambda of 1.07. This is very likely due to a blow in the exhaust and is highly unlikely to have anything to do with spark plugs, air fiters, the cat, the lambda sensor or using/not using Dipetaine.

sound advice brian a lamda reading of 1.07 would definitely suggests an exhaust leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

I have the exact same car, except it's a 97. Did the NCT last week and it failed because the lambda was 1.11. The tester said he thought it was a hole in the exhaust. And from the sound of it, I'd say there is a small one. €5 for some exhaust sealant in Halfords should solve the problem. I guess I'll find out if it worked on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

get the exhaust checked as the smallest hole or gas will put out the readings...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You need to punt that "mechanic" to touch fairly lively. There's sod-all wrong with that car beyond most likely a leak somewhere in the exhaust.

+1 for dipetane

There are several different kinds of "emissions problem" one can have. In this particular case, using Dipetane will be about as much use as pissing in the screenwash reservoir and blessing yourself backwards.

CJC999 wrote: »
    If there was a hole in the exhaust then you'd hear it blowing and it would most likely have been spotted during the NCT...

Not necessarily if the leak was upstream of the Lambda, i.e. in the header/manifold.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭davidlynchis

Thanks very much for all your comments. I was recommended a mechanic by a local taxi man so going to throw it down to him to see if he can fix up the exhaust.

Really appreciated :-)

Advertisement