Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's better duty free or New York shop prices for spirits

Options
  • 24-01-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Heading to New York and want to know where is better to buy a few bottles of whiskey and tequila dublin airport JFK airport or a supermarket in New York
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gar1234 wrote: »
    Heading to New York and want to know where is better to buy a few bottles of whiskey and tequila dublin airport JFK airport or a supermarket in New York
    Cheers

You'd consider lugging bottles of liquor all the way to NYC and back again :eek:

In the context of the overall cost of the trip, do the maths again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

also...you can only bring so much liquid through security on the way back from the US...and one bad experience with packing drink into my hold luggage has put me off that idea for eternity.

hold off till JFK on the way back...but also...isn't there a service at dublin duty free that you can buy there and pick it up on the way back just before you leave baggage claim?

answering my own question

http://www.theloop.ie/t/ShopCollect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

also...you can only bring so much liquid through security on the way back from the US...and one bad experience with packing drink into my hold luggage has put me off that idea for eternity.

hold off till JFK on the way back...but also...isn't there a service at dublin duty free that you can buy there and pick it up on the way back just before you leave baggage claim?

answering my own question

http://www.theloop.ie/t/ShopCollect

NOT in this case there isnt. As underlined on the loop website, that collect service is only available when travelling INSIDE the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

coylemj wrote: »
    You'd consider lugging bottles of liquor all the way to NYC and back again :eek:

I assumed he was intending to drink them in NY?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Cheers

You're only allowed One bottle of spirits from outside the EU arent you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Prices in stores in the US are about the same as they are for Duty Free in Dublin. You'd actually be better off waiting till you get to NY and going to a good value liquor store like Warehouse Wines on Broadway near Astor Place.

Duty Free on your way out of the US at JFK is terrible - prices there are actually higher than at most liquor stores in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Dublin airport €25 for 2 x 1 Liter bottles of Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, not sure about Tequila but I think so.

Didn't get anything in JFK, bought a 1 Liter bottle of gin in NY for $19.

Paddy and Bombay sapphire for €25 inDublin DF, Bombay sapphire $42 in NY Liquor store.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Litre of whiskey $28 last time I went through JFK, completely not worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

There are plenty of cheap liquor stores in NYC. One i used to frequent was on the corner of union square. 15 dollars for a handle of cheap vodka.
    Google a few places and see. --> Not being a smart ass but You'll find it hard to stumble on a cheap place by sheer luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Small but good place on 34th street, half way between the E.S.Building and Macy's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cheers

OP, are you aware that the duty free allowance is only 1 litre of spirts?

Advertisement