Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting power from one source to 2 wall sockets

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not in my print (2013?) it's definitely "informative", which print version are you using?

Guess! :rolleyes:

Annex.jpg
    But as you said, you would want to have a good reason for ignoring it.

That is it in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ok I'm confused.

If Annex 55A is informative does that mean everything in it is advice only and not a definite "rule" that must be obeyed?

For example the requirement to have isolating switches on inaccessible sockets is stated in Annex 55a but not anywhere else as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

superg wrote: »
    Ok I'm confused.

For example the requirement to have isolating switches on inaccessible sockets is stated in Annex 55a but not anywhere else as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Freezer units on their own RCD then,appears not to be mandatory.*awaits correction*:D

superg wrote: »
    Freezer units on their own RCD then,appears not to be mandatory.*awaits correction*:D

not mandatory, can also be wired as a fixed appliance with no RCD.

You need to consider how to maintain continuity of service for any essential items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

no rcd is best imo for deep freeze

non-standard socket/no rcd should be ok too i think..customer can move appliance for cleaning etc.

i don't think they can do you for cutting off the moulded plug if ti went to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

Thanks for all info. Didn't get a chance to do any work in house over weekend. Will post pics during week when I'm painting room.

Power Coming Into Room
    2014_01_25_16_57_33.jpg

Cable Joiner
    2014_01_30_19_10_40.jpg

Socket1 (2 LIVE, 2 NEUTRAL, 2 EARTH cables)
    2014_01_30_19_04_11.jpg

Socket2 (need to put dry wall box in)
    2014_01_30_19_03_58.jpg

So many errors!

1st pic: That unscreened earth wire is dangerously close to the exposed red live wire!
    Not sure what that box is. Is it a twin socket that you are now joining the new cable into?

2nd pic: no sleeve on earth wire, neutral wire over stripped, no copper should be exposed! Not sure what you plan on doing with it?

3rd pic: Socket is too low, should be a minimum of 400mm from floor.

4th pic: again obviously too low, also no sleeve on earth wire. At a guess I'd say it's missing from the socket in pic 3.

So many errors!

1st pic: That unscreened earth wire is dangerously close to the exposed red live wire!
    Not sure what that box is. Is it a twin socket that you are now joining the new cable into?

2nd pic: no sleeve on earth wire, neutral wire over stripped, no copper should be exposed! Not sure what you plan on doing with it?

3rd pic: Socket is too low, should be a minimum of 400mm from floor.

4th pic: again obviously too low, also no sleeve on earth wire. At a guess I'd say it's missing from the socket in pic 3.

1st pic is how the previous owners did it. they put wall boxes onto skirting boards all over the house. the double socket is being removed and cables will be tidied before joining to 2nd pic.

2nd not finished job yet

3rd socket too low.. personal preference??

4th not finished yet, i cabled it so i could measure cable needed to run around room.

OP was about general concept of how to do the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

EpiphoneSpecial, if the pictures posted are representative of the standard of work in this premises the entire electrical installation urgently requires a thorough inspection followed by a written report.
    This is something that should only be tackled by an experienced qualified electrician.

By adding sockets to the existing wiring you could make an already dangerous situation worse.

Ignore my advice at you own peril!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    EpiphoneSpecial, if the pictures posted are representative of the rest standard of work in this premises the entire electrical installation urgently requires a thorough inspection followed by a written report.
    This is something that should only be tackled by an experienced qualified electrician.

By adding sockets to the existing wiring you could make an already dangerous situation worse.

Ignore my advice at you own peril!

Cheers 2011.. I've been told that already by builder who did some work for us. But it comes down to money, new house and all, just don't have the money to get it rewired. It was built in 1970s, only upgrades done was a modern fuse board by previous owners.

In this particular room, there was 3 doubles (2 removed already, 1st pic to be removed) and I'm putting 2 new ones in. Compared to my cabling job, the cabling I took out looked liked a child did it.

But it comes down to money, new house and all, just don't have the money to get it rewired.

I know that this sounds mellow dramatic but:
    Have you considered what it would cost if the house were to go on fire?
    Have you though about the consequences of someone being electrocuted?

Besides it this home may not need a rewire.

An inspection and report would not cost that much.

It was built in 1970s, only upgrades done was a modern fuse board by previous owners.

There is one cost saving straight away

Compared to my cabling job, the cabling I took out looked liked a child did it.

Did it occur to you that there may be far more serious wiring issues that you can’t see?

yeah i get what ya mean. the oil boiler in 20/30 years old, the pipes are gun barrel, the walls aren't insulated. the list on things that could destroy the house are endless and expensive.

i'll look into getting my builders electrician out to take a look and recommend any work.

my thinking is, if i'm doing a better cabling job on sockets than what was there and the previous owners didn't burn the house down, then i'm making it better but not perfect. (not fooling myself, saying i'm as good as an electrician)

the list on things that could destroy the house are endless and expensive.

Dad is that you?:D:D
    i'll look into getting my builders electrician out to take a look and recommend any work.

If you get a written report then you can shop around.

:) i'm turning into the man that me and my brothers took the piss out of for years

Advertisement