Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Ah yes... coming from The Roost was the part that took some determination though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Pay parking is coming into effect this year I think- got a quick look at the plans yesterday in work. Here they are for anyone who's curious.

Any mention of residents in the town - will there be permits issued for those living in Parson St/Pound Lane etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I heard end of March for the pay parking...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think pay parking done sensibly will help the town but on the other hand I never go to Leixlip because it has pay parking and I find it a bit of a pain if I only need to park for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Once they have a free period and don't see it as a money generator it should work out. Are there any plans to upgrade the Motorway junction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SQ2 wrote: »
    I heard end of March for the pay parking...

Not a chance, the carpark won't be done by then and then there's the infrastructure (metering, signage, painting) on the rest of the town to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MYOB wrote: »
    Not a chance, the carpark won't be done by then and then there's the infrastructure (metering, signage, painting) on the rest of the town to be done.

Correct. The council have confirmed that it will not be implemented until the new carpark on Doctor's Lane is ready.

How many spaces planned in the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

My gripe - the taxis that park across the footpaths at Mantra & O'Neills.

There is no traffic enforcement in the town whatsoever that I can see - it's a free-for-all.

As for driving through the priority right of way signs at the chicanes in Parklands .. :(

As for driving through the priority right of way signs at the chicanes in Parklands .. :(

Are those not yield on both sides, e.g. no priority?

• Advertisement

Are those not yield on both sides, e.g. no priority?

No, driving out of the estate towards Straffan Road has priority - thicker sized arrow

No, driving out of the estate towards Straffan Road has priority - thicker sized arrow

Since when? Aerial photography has yield signs both sides. Or have KCC installed contradictory signs and road markings for the hundreth time?

Since when? Aerial photography has yield signs both sides. Or have KCC installed contradictory signs and road markings for the hundreth time?

There shouldn't be yield signs on both sides. Check the white arrows on the blue signs. There should be signs on the way in saying 'Give way to oncoming traffic'. Otherwise it's the ridiculous and dangerous situation we have now .. even though the arrows do show the correct right of way.

There shouldn't be yield signs on both sides. Check the white arrows on the blue signs. There should be signs on the way in saying 'Give way to oncoming traffic'. Otherwise it's the ridiculous and dangerous situation we have now .. even though the arrows do show the correct right of way.

the Google Maps imagery of Maynooth is from this summer and shows yield markings on the road at both sides.

The Streetview imagery is from 2009 and shows a mix of no signs at all (first chicane) and yield signs with arrows (conflicting) at the other chicanes. KCC brilliance strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Are there any plans to upgrade the Motorway junction?

There was talk of closing the existing junction and building a new one further west as recently as six months ago, but I've seen nothing since. Is this what you are referring to or had you something else in mind?

MYOB wrote:

Will metres be installed or will it be disc ('scratch card') type pay parking?
    Orion wrote:
    Correct. The council have confirmed that it will not be implemented until the new carpark on Doctor's Lane is ready.

Where exactly will this be?

It'll be pay/display meters. Off doctors lane.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    There was talk of closing the existing junction and building a new one further west as recently as six months ago, but I've seen nothing since. Is this what you are referring to or had you something else in mind?

Yeah that's it tailbacks regularly go out the Straffan road as far as the substation in the mornings and in the evenings after the lights coming out of Maynooth at Lidl I've seen at least 2 rear enders recently as traffic further up stops to allow traffic turn right onto the motorway or turn right from the slip heading towards roundabout / business park.

brokenarms wrote: »
    No road marking for straight on. At least not as I can remember.

The road markings in the lanes indicate 'left turn only' and 'right turn only' - not really helpful....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    The road markings in the lanes indicate 'left turn only' and 'right turn only' - not really helpful....

Yeah . I don't go through Maynooth to many times. Looking at the layout I can make complete sense from MYOB method as the whole junction should be free of traffic.

The problem is, You would have to read it hear or be a local. In morning rush hour to a passing car following a sat nav, It seams like a complete mess.

Which it is by the way.
    I always avoid Maynooth simple because of the traffic. Great wee town but 200 cars has it in grid lock .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the car turning left in front broke the law he had not got the green arrow,the other car that crossed over the yellow box on red
    the car that crossed over in front of you,i did see one fault of yours,you did not slow down or give right of way to pedestrians in the road even if they should not have been there

what camera did you have I have to get myself one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

you did not slow down or give right of way to pedestrians in the road even if they should not have been there

I'm not sure what you mean, he was back on the path before I passed him, I can't give any more right of way than way.
    I got the Lukas LK7900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

the car turning left in front broke the law he had not got the green arrow,the other car that crossed over the yellow box on red
    the car that crossed over in front of you,i did see one fault of yours,you did not slow down or give right of way to pedestrians in the road even if they should not have been there

Best place to look is here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Agh I hate people that pull in on the corner before the Zebra crossing to let people out of their cars,seriously I am stuck on a corner at a 4 way junction.

Looks like one local representative has been reading this thread :)

In short:
    • The road markings at the junction of Straffan Road and Main Street will be amended so that the right lane indicates straight on as well. We'll see if this makes any difference!
    • It will be late 2014 before pay parking is introduced by the sounds of it
    • There has been a call for greater enforcement of rules and regulations with regard to parking and driving in general - we'll see what happens

Advertisement