Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidentally bought wireless router instead of wireless modem/router....

Options
  • 24-01-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

as my home broadband has been experiencing more and more drop out recently, I decided to replace/upgrade my wireless router (TP Link 8940) in the hopes of improving performance.

Anyway, this morning a shiny new Asus Rt-N56U was delivered and I started the set-up process. After trying for a while, I think I've realised that I've bought a new router rather than a new modem/router than I can plug into my phone line.

Is there anyway to get these 2 products to play nicely with each other or do I just need to bite the bullet and return the Asus and pay more attention in future? Apart from following a set-up wizard and entering new ISP details, I'm not particularly proficient in any relevant networking skills.

Any advice appreciated....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

You have the ideal equipment, you need to get the modem you have in bridge mode and add the PPPoE details to the Asus router

• Registered Users Posts: 23 King Kong

Great - thanks for the info. I'll take a look online to see if I can get instructions on how to set the TP Link to bridging before connecting the new router.

Ok - I think my ambition definitely exceeds my ability. I set the TP Link modem/router to bridging mode and re-ran the Asus router set up wizard. That seemed to run ok and I thought I was making progress...anyway the end result was that I had two visible wireless signals that I could 'connect' to but neither had internet access or at least I couldn't successfully load a web page.

Having decided to abandon the experiment, I reset the bridging option back to normal on the TP Link and reboot. Unfortunately despite thinking I'd successfully undone my changes, I couldn't get any traffic over this connection either. Finally, dug an old Zyzel modem/router out of the attic and at least I'm back to having some kind of internet connection.

Long story short: Someone is going to pick up some value on donedeal for a new ASUS router I bought from Elara and I need to go back to the drawing board.

When you turn it into a bridge, it will not work route or work wirelessly, you need to disable wireless. Then you need to setup your PPPoE details on your a Asus so it dials out through the bridge and gets your public ip

Hi WHL, thanks for continued interest. I'll give it another go tomorrow but I guess I'm just not confident of re-configuring the required settings on each unit to get the desired result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

where are you based do you not know any teccies that might be able to help you?

Hi Dub45, I live in Sligo and don't really know any techies locally that could help.

I think my issue is getting the old modem/router to act as a modem only. I've done a few searches on youtube to see if I can see any tutorials for this or similar but everything I've found so far seems to be related to re-purposing the unit in a range extender/access point.

King Kong wrote: »
    Hi Dub45, I live in Sligo and don't really know any techies locally that could help.

I think my issue is getting the old modem/router to act as a modem only. I've done a few searches on youtube to see if I can see any tutorials for this or similar but everything I've found so far seems to be related to re-purposing the unit in a range extender/access point.

Bridge mode is what you want
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=111

If your ISP is Eircom here are the modem settings (set it to bridge you'll not need the PPPoE username and pass here)
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

You need to set PPPoE on the Wan port of the Asus using the above username and pass so it dials through the bridged modem. If your ISP isn't Eircom post whi it is and I'll advise on a different username and pass, the rest is as above

Advertisement