Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favorite energy gel?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm curious as to what you energy gel of choice is?

I've been a energy bar consumer normally buy gonna try gels this season.

Thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Gu, they are the only gels ive found that dont make a mess.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I use viperactive, theyre the best of a bad lot for me, I don't think any fully agree with me. And to be honest, a bag of jelly babies does pretty much the same job in terms of energy release. Just not as handy to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

TheTubes wrote: »
    Gu, they are the only gels ive found that dont make a mess.

GU are very tidy and have some nice flavours. Negative would be that they are quite thick (like me).

I can't remember when I stopped caring about which gel, not to say I don't have a preference, that I take. A friend has a good free source of High 5 so I'm using them because it's free.

I did struggle when I first started. I looked into fructose free gels but eventually settled down and got used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm a big fan of Torq gels, particularly on the bike. I also use IsoGel for running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Kinetica cola, then tropical.

Cola just reminds me of mr freezes everytime.
    Quite watery so easy to consume.

Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

@pgibbo Torq for the better taste? And I'm guessing the High5 Isogels for running due to them being more liquid?

@Fazz why Kinetica over other brands? They are a little more expensive, but I like the fact that they are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fuel Cell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Zipvit, tasty with the benefit of having twice as much as your standard gel which is handy for carrying less gels on longer endurance events.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Zipvit, tasty with the benefit of having twice as much as your standard gel which is handy for carrying less gels on longer endurance events.

This gel is small, that gel is far away.

They are twice the size hence twice the amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    This gel is small, that gel is far away.

They are twice the size hence twice the amount

I was more comparing to similar sizes such as High 5 etc. same at 60ml but 51g of carbs to 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was more comparing to similar sizes such as High 5 etc. same at 60ml but 51g of carbs to 23.

Agree on the zipfit but they're like wallpaper paste and can be hard to get down and hold down but they do give a big boost.

Hi5 Isogels are good for the bike as they flow easily from a bottle. You can get 10 in a standard bottle which is handy for long races. Are bulky to carry unopened though. I also like the Hi5 caffeinated standard gels, but you need a lot if water with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Big fan of honey stingers gels and their other bits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Am I correct in that Powerbar products are given out at branded IM races. Would it not be best to get used to these as it saves having to carry so many on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 on Zipfit. Tried lots of types. Used to like apple caffeinated power bars but zipfit bananas are a good boost. Yes a little bigger but carrying 3 of them is easier than 6 pbs. They are pasty and you need to wash down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Briando wrote: »
    @pgibbo Torq for the better taste? And I'm guessing the High5 Isogels for running due to them being more liquid?

@Fazz why Kinetica over other brands? They are a little more expensive, but I like the fact that they are Irish.

Purely a taste and ease of digestion thing for me. Kinetica gels are quite watery and taste delicous imo.

I also use the powerbar cola jellies but they can be a bit harder to eat on the bike - normally taped to stem and try take a couple at a time.

I started using a more convenient method last year whereby my bottle behind saddle is half water half kinetica cola gels mixed together.
    Saves hassle opening or removing gels, saves hassle trying to squeeze wrapper into back pocket, reduced risk of losing a gel but granted if bottle is dropped I'm in trouble (backup gel or 2 taped on in case).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Fazz wrote: »
    Purely a taste and ease of digestion thing for me. Kinetica gels are quite watery and taste delicous imo.

+1 LOVE the cola Kinetica gels too, taste lovely and go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

Viper active or boost for me

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Boots have the Viper on sale for half price at the moment in their online shop

http://www.boots.ie/en/Maxifuel-Viper-Active-Gel-Mixed-Berry-70g_1235485/

and if you spend more than 25 euros you can collect free from their shops

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Viper Active or Squeezy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Very surprised to see Viper Active mentioned so much since I've never heard of them. Whats making them so popular? The price point? There ingredients don't look any different to most of the other manufactures.

I though it would have been 50% of people suggesting High5 and the rest a mix powerbar, kinetica, SiS and Torq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I had one in a goody bag from somewhere ... was lying in my bag for ages then finally used it a few weeks ago .. found it to be a lot nicer than the high5 ones that was using last year .. it was nicer flavour and not as gloopy as the high5 .. found the Boots deal while looking for them last week

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

+1 to ViperBoost and ViperActive (thank you Oryx), but I have recently discovered Clif Shot Energy Gels. Specifically, Mocha (with 50 mg caffeine) tastes like espresso laced brownie batter (yum), and both their Chocolate and their Vanilla (no caffeine in either) taste like buttercream frosting (yum and yum). Not sure if you folks have Clif products over there though. ??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    +1 to ViperBoost and ViperActive (thank you Oryx), but I have recently discovered Clif Shot Energy Gels. Specifically, Mocha (with 50 mg caffeine) tastes like espresso laced brownie batter (yum), and both their Chocolate and their Vanilla (no caffeine in either) taste like buttercream frosting (yum and yum). Not sure if you folks have Clif products over there though. ??
    Clif blocks and their weird energy bars are widely available so I presume the gels should be too.

The hammer sample you sent me ages ago tasted good, and isnt supposed to be as artificial as most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Ok have used Viper boost a good few times last year. Mainly found them hit n miss. When in people's experience is the best time to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »

For my first 3 years in tri I took nothing but Cliff Shot Blocks. I did my first IM bike with about a kilo of them in my pockets :) I can pretty much eat any gel now without GI issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

it was one of the first companies on the Irish market . you could get them back in 2003.
    Briando wrote: »
    Very surprised to see Viper Active mentioned so much since I've never heard of them. Whats making them so popular? The price point? There ingredients don't look any different to most of the other manufactures.

I though it would have been 50% of people suggesting High5 and the rest a mix powerbar, kinetica, SiS and Torq.

Advertisement