Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny triatalon

Options
  • 24-01-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that the Kilkenny triathlon in not on the triathlon Ireland calendar.. And there's nothing on the Tri Grand Prix site ... As it hasn't been updated since last year ...can anyone ahead some light on if its going ahead ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Yes it is still going on though, TrGrand Prix are not running it this year. It's on the 19th July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

TriGrandPrix are runnin it again, website just hasnt been updated...ive registered again this and the confirmation email is from TriGrandPrix

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Anyone got any comments on this?

Is it well organized?

Presume Tri Grand Prix rules are similar to TI?

I think I can remember a problem with the river being very low? Whats it flowing like at the moment?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Sprint swim is a straight down the river under the bridge. Last year there was little to no flow the year before I'd say everyone had pb swim times.

run to T1 is crap it includes a stairs which can be slippery.

Transition is good though it's in the grounds of the castle so plenty of room.

Bike route is grand uphill on the way out and down all the way back the roads are open to traffic and last year the marshalling around the last roundabout was crap. I came off the bike after car cut the roundabout leaving me no where to go.

Run route is flat a couple of ramps iirc. slippery if wet down by the pond in the castle.

I signed up again despite the above.

If you'd rather KK tri club are having their own event in Sept I think in Graiguenamanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Podge83 wrote: »
    Anyone got any comments on this?

Is it well organized?

Presume Tri Grand Prix rules are similar to TI?

I think I can remember a problem with the river being very low? Whats it flowing like at the moment?

Thanks

Late response - but you can still enter for this weekend.

This is a great triathlon. Very well organised in an amazing setting. As mentioned elsewhere, there is a long transition from the river up to the Castle grounds - but has always been well supported so you get a good buzz going.

Well worth it. Heading down again for the 3 year, and bringing some newbies along for their 1st event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

95% certain i'm also heading to this. Hopefully traffic isn't as hectic this year coming back in on the bike.

Bambaata wrote: »
    ... Hopefully traffic isn't as hectic this year coming back in on the bike.

No Bruce Springsteen concert to deal with this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Beats the hell out of me why anyone would do this race and support a for profit company that find it in themselves not got give out any prizes.
    I taught it was bad last year when they only gave 1st place in each race. Absolute cheek and a disgrace to treat athletes this way.
    Even if they reduced the entry fee to e 40.00 this year is but wait you need to pay e 5.00 insurance so that makes it e 45.00.

From a company that has " serious about athlete care " as there mantra. Athlete care my A@$ e

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Traffic won't be great ..... Wexford waterford hurling on in kilkenny Saturday. As a result I believe they have neutralised 1.5k of the cycle route.

No mention of that in race brief

Bruce springsteen was on there last year with even bigger traffic probs and race was ran as normal

• Advertisement

Daz1214 wrote: »
    No mention of that in race brief

Bruce springsteen was on there last year with even bigger traffic probs and race was ran as normal

"Due to the increase in numbers, we will have a non-racing zone for 1.5 kms of the bike
    course as participants leave and return to Transition. This will be fully explained again
    during the mandatory briefing at 8.30 on Saturday morning at the Transition area."

I guess it will be a 17k race so. I wonder how they plan on marshalling that one. If you get a slow back marker do you have to wait behind them.

I stand corrected although it wont matter, thats between roundabouts on the ring rd where there isnt much racin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Or 19km even, the bike was 22km last year if I remember correctly.
    Non-racing in the middle of a race.. not sure I could get my head around that.

Daz1214 wrote: »
    I stand corrected although it wont matter, thats between roundabouts on the ring rd where there isnt much racin anyway

That's where I came off the bike last year. Hopefully they close the inside lane to traffic this year so we can actually go aound the roundabout without cars cutting us off.
    Basster wrote: »
    Or 19km even, the bike was 22km last year if I remember correctly.
    Non-racing in the middle of a race.. not sure I could get my head around that.

It'll be a bit of an odd one alright. I'd imagine for most it will be no issue but if the faster lads (not me) get caught behind the slower folks from earlier waves I can't see them holding the line for 1.5km

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

Any tips for spectators on Sat? Is it easy to see the swim/T1 area?

Turtle001 wrote: »
    Any tips for spectators on Sat? Is it easy to see the swim/T1 area?

Once the participant heads into the holding pen for the wave start, there is little spectators will see down at the river. So would advise them to head back up to the swim exit, or better yet, up closer to the actual transition where there is a long run up from the river.
    Bike exit is out the far side, of transition, and comes back in that side also.
    The run then comes back out towards the river before heading back through the castle grounds and comes back in from the same direction as the cycle did.

So after saying the good luck before the start, head back up towards the transition area - especially if the weather is good (or bad, as there are loads of trees for shelter).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I was spectating a few years ago, there's a nice walk alongside most of the swim to the right hand side of the river as it flows down towards the castle. So it's very easy to see the swim as it goes through the town.
    T1 is up a load of steps and a bit of a jog into the castle park. So I would suggest picking either the swim or T1 to watch as you'd be very unlikely to get up to T1 to see the actual transition. Transition is nice and open so good for watching either.
    The run seems to be slightly different each time I've done it so there may or may not be a few laps. Depends on the distance.

Advertisement