Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salomon Quest 4D GTX, any good?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to get myself a new pair of hiking boots and I have been searching around the place and came across the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I'd be into my hillwalking and hiking so I'd be covering various terrain. This boots supposedly fit the mold of what I am looking for but before I spend anything has anyone here have any previous experience of these boots or any other Salomon products?

Or if you had a budget of around €150 and were in my position what boot would you go for?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Link: http://www.mec.ca/product/5018-010/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-day-hiking-boots-mens/?f=10+50089+50131+50835

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

My girlfriend has the womans version of these and they seem pretty good. Lightweight but pretty well made. I tried these on last time I was buying boots but unfortunately didn't fit my feet that well otherwise would have been tempted.

The last 2 pairs of boots I've had are Meindel, I think they are brilliant. Well made, comfortable (for me anyway) and last very well. but they do cost a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

fergusb wrote: »
    My girlfriend has the womans version of these and they seem pretty good. Lightweight but pretty well made. I tried these on last time I was buying boots but unfortunately didn't fit my feet that well otherwise would have been tempted.

The last 2 pairs of boots I've had are Meindel, I think they are brilliant. Well made, comfortable (for me anyway) and last very well. but they do cost a bit more.

Thanks for the reply fergusb.

Yea, Meindel or Lowa would be ideal but I cant afford them at this minute. Any reviews I have seen of the Salomon seem to be positive but I'd rather get the views off people here to be honest!

Can anybody point me in the direction of good outdoor shops in Dublin City? Any shops around me are a bit on the pricey side or have a poor selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

City centre I'd recommend Great Outdoors, they might not be the cheapest but excellent selection and knowledgeable staff. Also they are good with warranty returns should something fail with the boots.

There is also Outdoor Adventure Store on Liffey Street and Basecamp on Abbey Street. haven't been into either for a while.

53 Degrees North have good select as well with a few locations outside the city:
    http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/stores

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

My wife just bought the female fit of these boots two weeks ago and they seem very good. However one thing though. She didnt wear them in long enough and on her first hike the heal started rubbing a little and caused blistering. I myself go meindels and have a pair of military ones i got for airsofting in hobby airsoft in the greenogue industrial estate near rathcoole. I paid 70 euro for them and they are a very comfy boot to wear. They are breathable and water resistant but not build for crossing rivers or anything they will let water in if you give them a good dunk like most boots at a certain point. Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yea I'm looking for something that will take a dunk in water (to a certain level obviously) No boot is water proof when your up to you waist!

I'll have a look in the Great outdoors next time in down anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Anybody have any experience with the meindl vakuum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Anybody have any experience with the meindl vakuum?

have had a pair for last 2-3 years cannot fault them .

They look the job too. Something to think about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bought a pair of berghaus explorer ridge boots from amazon recently, extremely comfortable out of the box. i can recommend them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

I've had a pair of Quest GTX since mid-2011. I've put plenty miles on them, in very varied environments - Lugnaquilla in September 2011, Sugarloaf in 2012, and twice in 2013 (once in snow), general hiking/walking in local countryside & beaches, as well as regular every-day wear.

They're very very comfortable, with a higher volume in the toe/fore-foot than other size 44 boots. I've never had any heel-slip, never had a single blister. They're fine on descents, with no cramping or squashing of my toes.

The sole can be less than ideal grip-wise on hard wet surfaces, like rocks etc., but not too bad.

Would I buy them again? No.

They were great value (I paid €160 or so, IIRC), but they're literally falling apart now, and I learned on a recent trip up Slieve Foy that they're no longer waterproof. To be fair, I haven't looked after them as well as I probably should have, and they have taken the odd dunking in sea-water, so maybe I should expect any boot to fall apart after that.

But my Chiruca Canadas, which I've had for 6.5 years, and have treated pretty much exactly the same, are still as strong and comfortable and waterproof as the day I bought them.

I'd recommend the Quest GTX if you're someone who looks after your boots well, but if not, maybe another boot (or other type of boot?) might suit you better.

HTH,

Mark

Advertisement