Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom rifle

Options
  • 24-01-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Right guys I've been thinking of buying a Mauser or blaser for a while now , but some one suggested building a custom rifle .

Guide lines ,

Light , deer cal , short , folding stock , action type , quietest I can get , fluted barrel if possible ,

And able for long range shots out to 6-7 hundred yards , and of course where to get it built .

Pics of stock if possible

My reason for short , foldable stock is some of my ground I keep getting hung up on branches when rifle is slinged across my back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

When you say light, what's your target weight, including scope, and what optics have you in mind for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

When you say light, what's your target weight, including scope, and what optics have you in mind for it?

Zeiss 3-12x56 HT , or I've got a 6-24x56 fl ,

As light as can be possible

Those are some pretty heavy optics for a lightweight gun! What cartridges are you looking at within the deer rifle spectrum? It's possible to get a factory rifle and scope it and come in at six pounds, but you might find it unpleasant to shoot in a .308 or bigger if you plan on getting a lot of trigger time in.

Those are some pretty heavy optics for a lightweight gun! What cartridges are you looking at within the deer rifle spectrum? It's possible to get a factory rifle and scope it and come in at six pounds, but you might find it unpleasant to shoot in a .308 or bigger if you plan on getting a lot of trigger time in.

I wouldn't want anything bigger than 308,

And it has to be a short barrel 20" or shorter .

I'd say it will be a HT scope if any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

I've had a good few rifles in the past including custom rifles and personally wouldn't be bothered going down that route again. I know others here will disagree but that's life. I Bought a blaser r8 a few months back and reckon it's the best balanced and handling gun I've ever used. I'm broke as f*** now but sure I'm happy.

• Advertisement

There's an emerging trend towards very light guns among some of the American set, fuelled by the likes of Kimber and now Forbes producing short action rifles as light as 4.75lb, before a scope and such. That means that loaded, scoped appropriately, it'll go six pounds, in a .308. Now, personally, I want another pound of weight at least in that, but it's definitely getting popular, and the rifles seem very nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Suggestions (as it's not my money :D)
    • Caliber - 7mm-08
    • Barrel - Fluted sports taper in 1:9 at 20" (no shorter)
    • Action - Stolle Panda, Defiance, RPA quadlite.
    • Finishing - Glass & pillar bedded
    • Stock - No idea. AICS is too heavy, so is the Dolphin tactical. But they look the dogs. Might be hard to find a truly lightweight, yet foldable stock. There are cheaper ones, but they look crap compared to the other ones. However PSE stocks are seriously light and strong. Contact Edi to see if he'll consider a foldable version.
    • Nightforce Ultralite 30mm rings.

Total weight, minus the stock, is approx. 5.5 - 6 lb. Go with the PSE and you're looking at 7 - 7.5 lb total weight. Roughly. Thing is between parts and build you're looking at a minimum of possibly 4 months and up to a year as some actions are only made to order.

Best of luck with whatever you go for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Suggestions (as it's not my money :D)
    • Caliber - 7mm-08
    • Barrel - Fluted sports taper in 1:9 at 20" (no shorter)
    • Action - Stolle Panda, Defiance, RPA quadlite.
    • Finishing - Glass & pillar bedded
    • Stock - No idea. AICS is too heavy, so is the Dolphin tactical. But they look the dogs. Might be hard to find a truly lightweight, yet foldable stock. There are cheaper ones, but they look crap compared to the other ones. However PSE stocks are seriously light and strong. Contact Edi to see if he'll consider a foldable version.
    • Nightforce Ultralite 30mm rings.

Total weight, minus the stock, is approx. 5.5 - 6 lb. Go with the PSE and you're looking at 7 - 7.5 lb total weight. Roughly. Thing is between parts and build you're looking at a minimum of possibly 4 months and up to a year as some actions are only made to order.

Best of luck with whatever you go for.

That's kinda more like the info I'm looking for , I hope to mayb get it built while I'm away .

Folding stock isn't a def as long as the gun is short , like an American truck gun as they put it

The thing with a custom build is there is no limit. As much as you want to spend is your only real limit. The last time i was down in Dom's in waterford i seen he had at least 6 actions sitting in the press. That means no waiting time. He also has barrels, etc. So i'd advise a call to him as they are sitting there and by the time he has the action/barrel work done the stock you choose might be ready. IOW a quicker build. However if the action/barrel does not suit what you like then go for what you do want. IOW this is your rifle so build it the way you want and not settle for what's available.

As for stocks, if folding is not that big an ordeal you could go with a short pull, lightweight stock from Edi. Instead of 14" pull go for 12 - 12.5". Might not seem like much but it's another 1 - 1.5" off the overall length. With stock, action, and barrel you're looking at at total overall length of approx. 39" - 40". Nice and compact.

On a personal note i would not go with a Remmy action. Nothing wrong with them at all, just why build a gun from the ground up to have it look like other rifles that were originally Remmys and new barrels/stocks added later. IOW customised rather than custom rifle. This applies to any factory action. If you can afford it go big. I love the RPA actions. My second choice would be split between Defiance or Stolle, then look at BAT, Barnard, Borden.

One last thing. It's really a target thing, but if you go a for custom action, built from scratch, consider the port options. It's serves no real purpose for a hunting rifle, but i've always wanted a dual ported rifle action. You can have your choice. Rigth bolt, left port. Left bolt left port. Right bolt, dual port with left ejection/right feed. The list goes on. The choices will wreck your head, but God it's satisfying when you pick it up in the end. Knowing it's specifically built to your whims.

Fun times. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

RPA Woodland Stalker may be what you like. It's no light weight @4kg and has a 16" barrel and length of 36". Available in .308 and .243. 3 and 10 shot mag

http://www.rangemasterprecisionarms.com/rpa-target-hunting-and-tactical-rifles/woodland-stalker-hunting-rifle/

woodland-stalker-hunting-rifle.jpg

newwoodland.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Went the custom route myself with the 204,fantastic rifle having said that I am going the R8 route ordering the Success Monza (leather Grip Stock) end of Feb.
    There is nothing to do to it & the interchangeability is key in my decision.Also they tend to hold their value as a custom build will not.Either way good luck with it & just to add Dom is a gent to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

What about something like this it takes a standard Remington long or short action what ever you chose and any stock from the likes of an AR15/M4 type rifle they are really nice to shoot and very well priced.
    http://www.gotxring.com/

Tube rifle?

Very cool looking. Seen one a few years ago. Nice looking thing with the tacticool appeal. It was being used as a silhouette rifle.

You can convert standard rifles to these by buying the kit. Thing is they can be quite heavy, purposely as it's a target orientated rifle, and come in at around 12.5 - 14 lb. Maybe not ideal for stalking, but great for target work.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Great piece of kit Cass that one in the pic is made for hunting its shorter and lighter than the target/ tactical models and with a short barrel on better again

Did you think anymore on this?

Had one of these ...............
    clivej wrote: »

................... in the Thumbhole Varminter model.

thumb-hole-hunter-rifle.jpg

Necessity (at the time) forced sale). Same as the woodland,just slightly longer/bigger. It was without a doubt the most accurate and best balanced gun i've ever owned/held including my custom guns, and am still regretting selling it. So much so i've just bought a new RPA Interceptor. 6.5x55 cal.

interceptor-sporting-rifle.jpg

Should be picking her up in a week or two. Build from scratch by Rangemaster with Border barrel barrel, and top quality components. Unbelievable rifles. Custom, yet bought pre made.

Did you think anymore on this?

Had one of these ...............

................... in the Thumbhole Varminter model.

thumb-hole-hunter-rifle.jpg

Necessity (at the time) forced sale). Same as the woodland,just slightly longer/bigger. It was without a doubt the most accurate and best balanced gun i've ever owned/held including my custom guns, and am still regretting selling it. So much so i've just bought a new RPA Interceptor. 6.5x55 cal.

interceptor-sporting-rifle.jpg

Should be picking her up in a week or two. Build from scratch by Rangemaster with Border barrel barrel, and top quality components. Unbelievable rifles. Custom, yet bought pre made.

Yea mate I'm in talks with Dominic at the moment he putting some ideas together

What did yo think of the stock (of parts). Did he still have a good selection.

Just going back to what i said above about being actually able to hold the components before assembly. Nothing beats it, and you know pretty much what the finished product will be like.

What did yo think of the stock. Did he still have a good selection.

Just going back to what i said above about being actually able to hold the components before assembly. Nothing beats it, and you know pretty much what the finished product will be like.

I'm in oz at the moment , I'm going home in July for few weeks call down to him and go through everything with him then.

So that'd be a no on the visit already. :D

He did have a good selection in stock last time i was there so i'd say he has some sort of stock still there. Let us know how you get on and if you decide to go for it.

So that'd be a no on the visit already. :D

He did have a good selection in stock last time i was there so i'd say he has some sort of stock still there. Let us know how you get on and if you decide to go for it.

Yea sorry bud half asleep ere it's 7 in the morning haha , yea will do . Probably will lad , I'm thinking .308 tho

• Advertisement

Was just thinking it must be early. Either before work or just getting in the door. :D

.308 would be a nice caliber. Switch between a hunter or target with no worries of caliber changes.

Was just thinking it must be early. Either before work or just getting in the door. :D

.308 would be a nice caliber. Switch between a hunter or target with no worries of caliber changes.

Haha it's my week off the champions league footy is on bud , I know I'm a looser haha

Nah. Was watching it myself. Messi & Alves giving City a spanking.

Nah. Was watching it myself. Messi & Alves giving City a spanking.

After tonight there won't be a premiership team in it , Chelsea mayb . Ud want .308 to stop messi !!

Best interview i've ever seen was when the same reporter interviewed Ronaldo and Messi (separately):

Reporter: How are you so good?
    Ronaldo: I've been sent by the God of football to show what can be done.

Later with Messi:

Reporter: What do you say to Ronaldo when he says the God of football sent him here.
    Messi: I never sent him!

Brilliant. :D

Best interview i've ever seen was when the same reporter interviewed Ronaldo and Messi (separately):

Reporter: How are you so good?
    Ronaldo: I've been sent by the God of football to show what can be done.

Later with Messi:

Reporter: What do you say to Ronaldo when he says the God of football sent him here.
    Messi: I never sent him!

Brilliant. :D

Yea lad one of the best quotes in football that and cantona's seagulls !!

Advertisement